Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

-30-

A-List Customer
I see, I see. Said the blind man to his deaf daughter as he picked up his hammer and saw; but he still coudn't see.

Regards,
-30-

Espee

Practically Family
Once I went to an instructor's office with a phony "flu symptoms" tale to explain my absence from the 3rd and 4th class meetings of the semester.
I got everything smoothed-over, as far as making up the missed work (although, if I couldn't face it in the first place, I don't know how I expected to catch up.)
Anyway, after I was dismissed and was walking toward the door, the instructor said "I hope you continue to feel better."
For a second... or two... maybe three... I had no idea WHAT THE HELL she was talking about! Feel better than what? Was I sick or something? Oh, right, flu symptoms!
Fortunately, my back was to her at the time, but I wonder if she had a strategically-placed mirror...
For a second

Rider

Familiar Face
I was walking toward a store in a strip mall today when I noticed a young man in his early 20's get an eye lock on me from about 50 yards. He starts walking directly at me. At 20 feet away he says, "Excuse me sir..." My thoughts immediately go to "Rats, I'm about to get panhandled." As he closes on me he completes his sentence, "...can you tell me where you got that hat. I've been looking all over for something like that and I can't find one anywhere."

I was wearing a Hatspeople newsboy but at that moment I couldn't remember what I had on my head. I pulled off my cap to see what I was wearing. I showed him the website written the label. He whipped out his smart phone and began his web search right then and there.

For three minutes on a sidewalk in the snow folks from different generations had a conversation about hats. I think I made a new convert.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Last weekend, I travelled to LA for a conference; I was the only fedora wearer among 1000 people--beside a videographer who wear a wool stingy the whole time. Anyway, I heard the full gamut of comments, from the snide to the nice.

The best moment came, however, on a Sunday morning field trip to the First AME church, where folks were wonderfully hospitable--and where they know from wearing hats. I was wearing a vintage Borsalino, and as I walked out with my group after the service, this lady, dressed to the nines herself, said to me, "Son, you are wearing that hat." I said, with a broad grin, "Thank you, ma'am."

A

Last weekend, I travelled to LA for a conference; I was the only fedora wearer among 1000 people--beside a videographer who wear a wool stingy the whole time. Anyway, I heard the full gamut of comments, from the snide to the nice.

The best moment came, however, on a Sunday morning field trip to the First AME church, where folks were wonderfully hospitable--and where they know from wearing hats. I was wearing a vintage Borsalino, and as I walked out with my group after the service, this lady, dressed to the nines herself, said to me, "Son, you are wearing that hat." I said, with a broad grin, "Thank you, ma'am."

A

Snide?! They need:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This was a question, but I enjoyed hearing it more than most comments:

I played music with four of my colleagues for eight or so retirement villages this week, and at the last one yesterday, a gentleman approached me afterward and, smiling, said "Where does the hat take the man?"

I had no idea what the correct response was, so I said "Wherever the wind blows it!"

3fingers

One Too Many
O.T.

James,
A gift for you. I've always liked this one.
KickButt.gif

Sitting on the shuttle bus from BWI to the Amtrak station for the ride down to D.C., a smartly dressed African American woman boards and as she walks to a seat she says without turning "I love that hat." The young fellow sitting next to me in a Detroit Tigers baseball cap says "thanks." After he exits I leaned over to the woman who was a few seats away and said "I think you might have been sending that compliment in my direction... thank you." She gave me a big smile. It was one of those sweet moments that breaks an otherwise silent commute.

Sitting on the shuttle bus from BWI to the Amtrak station for the ride down to D.C., a smartly dressed African American woman boards and as she walks to a seat she says without turning "I love that hat." The young fellow sitting next to me in a Detroit Tigers baseball cap says "thanks." After he exits I leaned over to the woman who was a few seats away and said "I think you might have been sending that compliment in my direction... thank you." She gave me a big smile. It was one of those sweet moments that breaks an otherwise silent commute.

The kid in the cap needed:
KickButt.gif

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
As I was walking into the local Walmart yesterday morning, wearing tan jeans, a blue button-down shirt, and my dark brown vintage Royal Stetson Whippet-clone, an older man came skimming past on a bicycle. He called out something; I couldn't tell what it was. But it sounded approving, at least!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Today while at the Mall, a group of teens walked by, wearing the usual flat-billed caps, and their pants sweeping the floor. As we passed, one of them kept saying, "Nice hat! That's a nice hat! Did you see his hat! Nice hat!" Made my day :D

Landman

One Too Many
A few days ago I was tired and hungry after being on the road all day so I pulled off the highway to get something to eat at a McDonalds. This was in a rather tough part of town known for drug dealing and other problems but the restaraunt was on the access road and I just wanted to eat something quick and get home. I was wearing an old Stetson Open Road in a cattleman's crease with the front brim snapped down. I definitely looked out of place because all the other men and boys in the restaurant were wearing baggy pants and ball caps on backwards or sideways. I noticed a rather large and intimidating guy across the room staring at me. He was squinting and had this look on his face like he was mad for some reason. At first I didn't think much about it but he kept staring without changing his facial expression. I started feeling a little uncomfortable but finished my meal and went to throw the trash away. When I turned around he was standing a couple of feet behind me. It startled me he was so close but I didn't say anything. He just stared at me for a few seconds, then finally smiled and said "Man, your hat is bad a$$!". Somewhat relieved, I thanked him and walked out to my truck.

TomS

One Too Many
A few days ago I was tired and hungry after being on the road all day so I pulled off the highway to get something to eat at a McDonalds. This was in a rather tough part of town known for drug dealing and other problems but the restaraunt was on the access road and I just wanted to eat something quick and get home. I was wearing an old Stetson Open Road in a cattleman's crease with the front brim snapped down. I definitely looked out of place because all the other men and boys in the restaurant were wearing baggy pants and ball caps on backwards or sideways. I noticed a rather large and intimidating guy across the room staring at me. He was squinting and had this look on his face like he was mad for some reason. At first I didn't think much about it but he kept staring without changing his facial expression. I started feeling a little uncomfortable but finished my meal and went to throw the trash away. When I turned around he was standing a couple of feet behind me. It startled me he was so close but I didn't say anything. He just stared at me for a few seconds, then finally smiled and said "Man, your hat is bad a$$!". Somewhat relieved, I thanked him and walked out to my truck.

Well, He was right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR