Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ I agree,it amuses me, that as a woman, others (usually guys) will tell me that MY hat is "pimpin" sometimes I wonder if they really think about what they're saying lol

yoonie

Familiar Face
When I'm in the city, the nicest compliments I get are usually from women with their inquisitive glances. Visiting my parents in atlanta and florida, I found myself besieged with compliments about how well I wore the hat, and how glad they were to see a man wearing a nice hat. All that for a sharkskin polyester job i got for 15 bucks from a street side vendor!

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
This week...

I teach at a school that has more than it's share of beautiful young (to me) teachers. This week three of the most beautiful of all commented on how much they liked my hat(s). :) Put a spring in my step!

(I also got a "hey rabbi" but was from a friend who meant it as an endearment, and a "I'll surprise you." from a young colleague. I look forward to what hats he will wear!;)

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
a few days ago, it was a cold day and I go to pick up my daughter from school. I was wearing a wool overcoat and my Dobbs jet 707 hat. One of My Daughters friends is hanging out in the office and she looks at me and says, "well Hello Detective Drew!" I just smiled and said "hello to you". What really made it fun was that another little Girl in the office looked at me with big eyes and shyly asked, "Are you really a Detective?" I had to laugh and say no. I thought that my daughters friend was pretty sharp to see my hat and coat and to associate the look with "Detective".

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Last Saturday, My family and I were shoping at the local Costco store. I was wearing a sport coat and a Broner fedora. While I was browsing in the dvd section, a gentleman came over and very politely told me how much he liked my hat and asked where he could find one like it. I told him I had acquired it on e-bay and then took the opportunity to tell him all about the Fedora Lounge. Perhaps we will see him posting here someday. :)

Aerol

A-List Customer
Last weekend I was in DC. Going through a cafeteria line at one of the Smithsonian museums the guy behind the counter said "Gimme that hat." I said "Huh?"

He repeated "Gimme that hat."

I smiled and told him that it would take his watch, his wallet, and something more to get the hat. And then I thanked him for the compliment.

He had good taste, though. It was an Optimo.

Goose.

Practically Family
My wife has always been tolerant, or at most, indifferent, about my hats.
Received my Federation IV Deluxe Dark Brown a few days ago. This past weekend was the first time she really saw me wear it as she works later and I'm in by then.
We were about 15 minutes down the road...and she said, without being asked, "I like your hat...that looks good on you".
Made my day. Best comment I ever received.

486985060_vRHko-Th-1.jpg

rrog

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
We were about 15 minutes down the road...and she said, without being asked, "I like your hat...that looks good on you".

486985060_vRHko-Th-1.jpg

Goose, you're absolutely correct! Those are the best compliments we'll ever get... The ones from our wives!

rrog

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
My wife has always been tolerant, or at most, indifferent, about my hats.
Received my Federation IV Deluxe Dark Brown a few days ago. This past weekend was the first time she really saw me wear it as she works later and I'm in by then.

486985060_vRHko-Th-1.jpg

My wife finally stopped rolling her eyes at me, does that count? ;)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
More about etiquette than a compliment

While on "hat quest 2009" at a local thrift located in a converted home a volunteer with a few years behind her looked up and said "A man that knows to take his hat off in the house" followed by a big smile.

Goose.

Practically Family
rrog said:
Goose, you're absolutely correct! Those are the best compliments we'll ever get... The ones from our wives!

rrog

HamletJSD said:
My wife finally stopped rolling her eyes at me, does that count? ;)
Yep rrog...I agree. Usually she doesn't say anything...except for my Hampton. That was a chuckle and a "I'm glad you realize too that it doesn't work".

And, thinking about Hamlet's post, I think you're right. They just give up or realize that there are worse things we could be spending our coin on....or both.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
the french teacher at my school said "Beau Chapeau". She explained what it meant and whatnot, and said that she thought it was very sharp. Most of the older faculty comment on my hats.

Some older women say things like "What a sharp dresser" or relate me to old movie stars of the 40's. [huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
At a birthday party at Chucky Cheese for my buddies 2 year old grand-daughter.....the little birthday girl saw my boys hat and made a b-line past the present he was holding and took the fedora off his head and plopped it on her own with a big grin on her face.lol lol Here is a picture taken after he recovered his lid.
birthday021.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
handlebar bart said:
At a birthday party at Chucky Cheese for my buddies 2 year old grand-daughter.....the little birthday girl saw my boys hat and made a b-line past the present he was holding and took the fedora off his head and plopped it on her own with a big grin on her face.lol lol Here is a picture taken after he recovered his lid.
What an awesome pic. Thanks for sharing :)
Gals like hats.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I was standing on a street corner yesterday wearing my Federation and waiting for a walk signal, and a fellow passing by on a vespa-type motor scooter called out to me "Nice Borsalino!"

I was so surprised that I only grinned and didn't think to yell thanks until he was well out of earshot. I took it as a compliment.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I think Goose just delivered my favorite, when he commented on the way I store my hats.

Goose. said:
The collection, manner of display/storage, and picture are individually (and collectively) too cool for school...:cool: :eusa_clap

P1040729.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Had a great couple of days. Needed to get away ... went to the mountains. Dressed like I normally do Lucchese Classics, Fed Deluxe IV, leather jacket. The reactions I received were phenomenal.

Ranged from looks I would get when I hang out in Greenwich Village, NY to a very beautiful woman asking me if I was a "fun guy". Compliments from other men about my clothes.

The only negative reaction I had was to something I ate.

I guess you get what you need in life. ;)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
On a day I dressed down with a ratty cotton blazer and a fuzzy wool tie, one of my co-workers called me the best dressed guy she knows.

My first response was "well, that's not saying much for around here" and smiled. Then I realized I was being ungracious :eusa_doh: and I thanked her later. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner