Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Macheath said:
On a day I dressed down with a ratty cotton blazer and a fuzzy wool tie, one of my co-workers called me the best dressed guy she knows.

My first response was "well, that's not saying much for around here" and smiled. Then I realized I was being ungracious :eusa_doh: and I thanked her later. :)

Macheath it is always nice to hear someone truly appreciate your sense of style. For me style is an expression of self. Read my post which right before yours. That was like hitting the lottery. ;) lol lol

Goose.

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
I think Goose just delivered my favorite, when he commented on the way I store my hats.
Credit where credit is due J.T. Simply beautiful in every aspect.

Carlisle Blues said:
Had a great couple of days. Needed to get away ... went to the mountains. Dressed like I normally do Lucchese Classics, Fed Deluxe IV, leather jacket. The reactions I received were phenomenal.

The only negative reaction I had was to something I ate.

I guess you get what you need in life. ;)

That ensemble is worthy of a pic (???)
Sorry you got ill. What was for chow? Did your hat become a handy bucket?

Macheath said:
...Then I realized I was being ungracious :eusa_doh: and I thanked her later. :)
That says a ton about your character. Impressive. :eusa_clap

trailrunner

Familiar Face
I have a new one to add:

I walked into our kitchen this morning wearing dark blue trousers, and a light blue Oxford dress shirt. I was carrying my a leather sport coat, but already had my recently refurbed Stetson 25(dark brown with a deep blue hatband) on my head. My 14 year old daughter said: "Wow Dad, I love your hat. The dark blue really snaps with the light blue shirt."

I just about fell over.

irb

Familiar Face
I remember a number of years ago walking past some tennis courts, wearing my fedora and smoking one of my pipes. Someone in one of the buildings, just loud enough for me to hear (but I don't think intentionally so) said something like, 'damn, that dude's sweet.'. Other than that, I tend not to get either positive or negative reactions--but I suspect I'm somewhat unapproachable. Luckily my girlfriend occasionally offers up a compliment so I don't feel entirely unappreciated. *grin*

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
When I got to Uni today I ran into my department head in the hallway just before I went into our common room. He said I looked like I had stepped out of a 1930s movie. :) I've also been told by some of the other grad students that walking into our common room is sometimes like walking into a period movie, or that it's like walking into the British Library 60 years ago.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
J.J. Gittes said:
Some older women say things like "What a sharp dresser" or relate me to old movie stars of the 40's. [huh]

I got the "you dress like a movie star " from a neighbour...but she is in the rag trade...is that a real compliment or twice the compliment?[huh] :eek:

Slim Portly

One Too Many
The three nicest words I heard today: "Love the tie!"

The two nicest words I heard today: "Great suit!"

The single nicest word I heard today: (an older gentleman nodding towads my hat) "Stetson?"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
especially the ones the gents here on FL say...

regarding the pics I post of myself in my vintage outfits, its very encouraging as I've only been wearing vintage clothing for just about two months. A particular fave from Paddy was "you are a classy dame and that's a fact!"

swanky_frankie

New in Town
Throughout a number of years I have had people says I resemble Johnny Depp. Most recently when I attended my cousins wedding, the women conducting the wedding made that comment to me. I was in my suit, fedora & my 1940s sunglasses.
Now its just ironic that he's playing John Dillinger in a new movie.
[huh]

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
The two nicest comments I have had lately weren't spoken at all. In both cases I was walking one way and a elderly gentleman was walking the other. The first gentleman doffed his cap and I returned the favor, though he wasn't wearing a hat at all. The second gentleman was very elderly, bent over and using a cane. As we passed he looked up smiled or maybe I should say grinned at my hat. He kept it up the whole time were passing even though it was obviously an effort....of course I tipped my hat to him....

I have had girls make flirtatious comments...nice
but someone who wore hats when everyone did taking notice seemed better.

LordBest

Practically Family
I was just walking around my cities (empty) lake, with my mother, when an old gentleman approached me and said "I'm sorry, I just have to stop you. I have not seen a coat like that in YEARS! You look like a real gentleman. And the hat too!" and we had a brief but pleasant chat. At the end of the conversation he doffed his cap and I doffed my Fed IV, and he looked astonished, turned to my mother and said "He does that too? You taught him well!"
It really made my day, not so much because of the compliment, but because the old boy clearly got so much pleasure out of seeing someone wearing clothing he remembered from his younger days. He mentioned he was born in 1948.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Finally I got a nice comment at work. Usually my hats get ignored or blank looks as I'm walking in and out of my 18 story building. There are in fact several young guys working for an oil company in the building that I can tell consciously look away from me in the elevator like I have some tumor on my face and they don't want to be caught staring! ha Yesterday a girl, probably late 20s, said, "That's a nice hat. People just don't wear those anymore and they should." I thought it nice coming from someone younger. I was wearing my Johnnyphi Adam.

duggap

Banned
Jabos, I have found that the ladies do like our hats and often say so. I also notice that women will hold the door for me at the post office which they never did before I wore hats, and sometimes even comment on my hat. Like you, a young lady in my office last week, commented on my hat setting on the cradenza. We ensued into a conversation about hats and she ended up taking Panama Bob's info and is ordering a Panama for herself. Long lives the lids.:eusa_clap :p :eusa_clap

trailrunner

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
I was just walking around my cities (empty) lake, with my mother, when an old gentleman approached me and said "I'm sorry, I just have to stop you. I have not seen a coat like that in YEARS! You look like a real gentleman. And the hat too!" and we had a brief but pleasant chat. At the end of the conversation he doffed his cap and I doffed my Fed IV, and he looked astonished, turned to my mother and said "He does that too? You taught him well!"
It really made my day, not so much because of the compliment, but because the old boy clearly got so much pleasure out of seeing someone wearing clothing he remembered from his younger days. He mentioned he was born in 1948.

Right up until that last sentence, I was imagining someone in his 80 or 90s. You might save yourself a bit of future trouble if you are a bit more sparing in applying the "old" label. My mother, for one, would definitely take offense, and despite having been born only two years after your "old gentleman”, she is still proficient enough in Judo to make you cry if give her cause.

"Old boy", heh.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was at a dinner comprised of some of the some "power" guys in my town a few nights ago.. It got very warm here so I wore a simple outfit of highly polished cordovan loafers, Khaki pants, Navy polo (pima cotton), a blue blazer and my Stetson Center Dent Cuenca.

Well..... turns out that the guys started talking about the way I dressed. One guy said I just needed a cigar and I could pass for a drug dealer. Well the wine was flowing and the debate got a bit heated until it was decided that I was "The Most Stylish Man in Town". lol lol lol

The reality ... it is one very nice thing for a woman to give a compliment......IT is entirely another thing for a bunch of men to sit around and actually discuss how stylish you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The only thing missing: Goose was not there.:(

I love going to these dinners I don't drink, but, these guys do I have so much fun that I laugh to myself for days after.lol lol lol

LordBest

Practically Family
trailrunner said:
Right up until that last sentence, I was imagining someone in his 80 or 90s. You might save yourself a bit of future trouble if you are a bit more sparing in applying the "old" label. My mother, for one, would definitely take offense, and despite having been born only two years after your "old gentleman”, she is still proficient enough in Judo to make you cry if give her cause.

"Old boy", heh.

'Old boy' is an English term of affection, as in "Thank for the Bollinger, old boy!" or "Splendid party, old boy, what?", nothing to do with age. The father of a friend of mine refers to his son, 23, as 'old boy'. It can also be used in an exclusionary sense, as in "old boy network". It also refers to 'any male former pupil of a school':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_boy
As it happens I meant to type 'older gentleman', but I must point out that not everyone automatically assumes the word old to have negative connotations.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Born 1946

I have to confess I took immediate umbrage when I saw that terminology as well. But I quickly calmed myself. I'm finding it EXTREMELY irritating to be reminded that I am now eligible for Social Security, senior citizen discounts on Amtrak (which I AIN'T turning down) etc., etc. But it's a fact.
As a card carrying Baby Boomer (first year Boomer, to be exact), I still cling to my illusion that I'll always be a teenager. But the arthritis in my knee occasionally reminds me that I'm not. It's a very weird feeling, but you know what they say about getting older. Consider the alternative.
But getting back to you, you young whippersnapper, just WATCH IT! ;) lol

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Woohoo! ...

trailrunner- Obviously, you've got one very smart girl! Ya should take her vintage shopping one of these days- both our children, DS almost 13 and DD almost 15 have gotten into the vintage clothing and events with us. Maybe yours too??

trailrunner said:
I have a new one to add:

I walked into our kitchen this morning wearing dark blue trousers, and a light blue Oxford dress shirt. I was carrying my a leather sport coat, but already had my recently refurbed Stetson 25(dark brown with a deep blue hatband) on my head. My 14 year old daughter said: "Wow Dad, I love your hat. The dark blue really snaps with the light blue shirt."

I just about fell over.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
'Old boy' is an English term of affection, as in "Thank for the Bollinger, old boy!" or "Splendid party, old boy, what?", nothing to do with age. The father of a friend of mine refers to his son, 23, as 'old boy'. It can also be used in an exclusionary sense, as in "old boy network". It also refers to 'any male former pupil of a school':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_boy
As it happens I meant to type 'older gentleman', but I must point out that not everyone automatically assumes the word old to have negative connotations.

No need to get bent out of shape, my post was meant teasingly. I am aware of the meaning and use of "Old Boy", but regardless of what you mean how you phrase something can make it something else entirely. In addition, you may take into consideration that those who do not automatically assume negative connotations for the word are most often those to whom the word is not being applied.;)

Edited for a bit a clarity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot