Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Both jackets look great. The Schott fits you perfectly. Do you have the quilted lining version? How shiny it is after all that wear? Mine is still quite shiny for my taste.

Thanks, Outlaw! The Vanson looks much better now after some wear, but it's still got a lot of breaking in left to do. The 641HH comes standard with quilted lining, the steerhide version comes with a zip-out liner. The shininess has worn off a bit and the leather is just growing a beautiful patina.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Aero Original Hercules in brown CXL FQHH!

www.thurston-bros.com

www.insurrectionperformance.com

Aero Original Hercules front.jpg

Aero Orginal Hercules collar.jpg

Aero Original Hercules back.jpg

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Outlaw! The Vanson looks much better now after some wear, but it's still got a lot of breaking in left to do. The 641HH comes standard with quilted lining, the steerhide version comes with a zip-out liner. The shininess has worn off a bit and the leather is just growing a beautiful patina.
Mine actually came in with a zip out liner. It still need more wear to develop a patina. It's four years old but can't wear it year round due to weather so I have to be patient. Vansons are nice I own one that I like very mutch. Its my best fitting jacket ever.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Here it is--

BlueSky_zpsf46d9d27.jpg

Matching the knits to the buttons isn't a problem...

Our allotment of custom Aero July production slots is filling up quickly; however, we still have 12 slots available!

Hi Carrie,

Do you still offer the sky blue as a leather option and if so then is this color available for a jacket like the Speedway where the entire jacket would be sky blue? I'm one of the few people that could easily pull off wearing this color given that the color is symbolic of the heart work I do in my community (5 time open heart surgery survivor with mechanical heart made of carbon fiber which I've modified my car with as part of my heart awareness work as well as painted the same turquoise sky blue color (blue is symbolic of open communication and green is symbolic of the heart in my ancestral country of India, hence turquoise or sky blue is symbolic of "open communication of the heart"))
Navin323i-2013-1.jpg

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Carrie,

Do you still offer the sky blue as a leather option and if so then is this color available for a jacket like the Speedway where the entire jacket would be sky blue? I'm one of the few people that could easily pull off wearing this color given that the color is symbolic of the heart work I do in my community (5 time open heart surgery survivor with mechanical heart made of carbon fiber which I've modified my car with as part of my heart awareness work as well as painted the same turquoise sky blue color (blue is symbolic of open communication and green is symbolic of the heart in my ancestral country of India, hence turquoise or sky blue is symbolic of "open communication of the heart"))
Navin323i-2013-1.jpg

Hi Navin323i,

Absolutely...that's still available...it's a great color too!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Carrie,

Navin323i-2013-1.jpg

PM Sent...

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hi Navin323i,

Absolutely...that's still available...it's a great color too!

Wonderful!! What kind of leather hide is this sky blue leather? I agree with you... beautiful color for sure. So can most of the Aero jackets be made this color in full or is this meant to be used in conjunction with other horsehide colors?

Please feel free to call me Navin. :)

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Wonderful!! What kind of leather hide is this sky blue leather? I agree with you... beautiful color for sure. So can most of the Aero jackets be made this color in full or is this meant to be used in conjunction with other horsehide colors?

Please feel free to call me Navin. :)

Hi Navin,

The colors are all steerhides and we can make any Aero jacket model from them...there are definitely quite a few options!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hi Navin,

The colors are all steerhides and we can make any Aero jacket model from them...there are definitely quite a few options!

That's great!! Man, I take time off from leather jackets and this site and come back and the jacket styles and colors have gotten even better... will definitely be in touch with you, Carrie... Thanks!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Carrie, Do you have any details yet on the new Premium 30's Half Belt and how exactly it differs from the Standard Half Belt and in particular the new Plainsman?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Carrie, Do you have any details yet on the new Premium 30's Half Belt and how exactly it differs from the Standard Half Belt and in particular the new Plainsman?

Hi ProteinNerd,

Here's a good tid-bit on the new Premium 1930s Half Belt from Ken, owner of Aero:

"There is a lot of speculation regarding our new Premium pattern which wasn’t officially going to be introduced until next year.

The cut is quite different to virtually all previous Aero jackets, it’s loosely based on an old 1920s Button Up Wool jacket of mine that eventually fell apart after decades of sterling service, it was the best fitting coat I’ve ever had. I converted the basic pattern to be suitable for a zipper and completely remodelled the collar which, although I saw so myself, looks incredible especially when the jacket is fully zipped right up to the neck

The armholes are cut high, there is very little lift (or bat’s wing) although the sleeves are not cut too tightly for comfort the appearance is off a very slim fit.

As of this moment it is a basic pattern block which has been fully graded so we do have a full set of size patterns which can be used as master patterns for whatever design we decide to use it for, a bit like the original Highwayman pattern block which formed the basis for most of our post WW2 designs.

Our original plan was to use the new pattern for our 1930s Suede jackets and as the base for a new Limited Edition Range of very special jackets that Julie will be making herself using rare and special leathers, we’ve had a new label made especially for this range. This is still the plan, we’d expect the first of these to be available for The Fall

While we’ve been fine tuning the patterns we have tried out several new designs without any one specific design in mind. There are several “one ofs” in the factory and I’m half way through another right now, some of these will go into production either this Fall or for next year.

Cooperson got the first (and only) jacket to go on sale so far using this basic pattern with a standard 1930s panel configuration only because our standard 1930s pattern doesn’t seem to fit his body correctly.

Everyone seems to love the new collar, some customers have been asking for old styles with parts of these patterns (collar, armholes, sleeves etc) but none of these are interchangeable with our older patterns, they are quite different in fact, but we can use the panel configuration of most of our slimmer designs transposed onto the new patter block (i.e. The Aero 1930s Half Belt using Premium Pattern), although there might be a slightly longer wait than usual for more complicated styles such as The Sunburst."

We'll put up some photos in a bit!

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi ProteinNerd,

Here's a good tid-bit on the new Premium 1930s Half Belt from Ken, owner of Aero:

"There is a lot of speculation regarding our new Premium pattern which wasn’t officially going to be introduced until next year.

The cut is quite different to virtually all previous Aero jackets, it’s loosely based on an old 1920s Button Up Wool jacket of mine that eventually fell apart after decades of sterling service, it was the best fitting coat I’ve ever had. I converted the basic pattern to be suitable for a zipper and completely remodelled the collar which, although I saw so myself, looks incredible especially when the jacket is fully zipped right up to the neck

The armholes are cut high, there is very little lift (or bat’s wing) although the sleeves are not cut too tightly for comfort the appearance is off a very slim fit.

As of this moment it is a basic pattern block which has been fully graded so we do have a full set of size patterns which can be used as master patterns for whatever design we decide to use it for, a bit like the original Highwayman pattern block which formed the basis for most of our post WW2 designs.

Our original plan was to use the new pattern for our 1930s Suede jackets and as the base for a new Limited Edition Range of very special jackets that Julie will be making herself using rare and special leathers, we’ve had a new label made especially for this range. This is still the plan, we’d expect the first of these to be available for The Fall

While we’ve been fine tuning the patterns we have tried out several new designs without any one specific design in mind. There are several “one ofs” in the factory and I’m half way through another right now, some of these will go into production either this Fall or for next year.

Cooperson got the first (and only) jacket to go on sale so far using this basic pattern with a standard 1930s panel configuration only because our standard 1930s pattern doesn’t seem to fit his body correctly.

Everyone seems to love the new collar, some customers have been asking for old styles with parts of these patterns (collar, armholes, sleeves etc) but none of these are interchangeable with our older patterns, they are quite different in fact, but we can use the panel configuration of most of our slimmer designs transposed onto the new patter block (i.e. The Aero 1930s Half Belt using Premium Pattern), although there might be a slightly longer wait than usual for more complicated styles such as The Sunburst."

We'll put up some photos in a bit!

Here are some photos of the new half belt:

P1930s_zps24337f30.jpg

P1930s-collar_zpsfb118b03.jpg

P1930s-side_zps6a3eb0c9.jpg

P1930sback_zpse6ee872a.jpg

Brettafett

One Too Many
Its a shame they couldn't do this collar on a Sheene.

Carrie, what options are there for mid weight horsehides, besides the Seal and Russet Jerky and the Oil Pull?
If I understand correctly, there are also the Italian HHs, as a more pricey option... But is there anything else available?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
As long as it is boxed up and on its way, I can overlook your shortage of time!

Yes--it went out with my Thursday shipping batch!

The Vanson Chopper has most recently become our best-selling Vanson jacket! We specify our version with Vanson's black Comp. Weight cowhide and with a black rayon liner (lighter and more breathable than the standard red quilted liner). You can see more details about this style on this link to our website: Vanson Chopper

Vanson Chopper customer.jpg

www.insurrectionperformance.com

www.thurston-bros.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace