Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for that nostalgic true feminine smell..!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, Paddy started a thread regarding men's fragrances. There's been some interesting discussions & I thought I'd start a similar thread here but for women's frangrances. (Paddy, I borrowed your tag line but I'd be happy to change it if you prefer.) I'm not on the up and up on vintage frangrances for us ladies but would love to learn more. I can offer some current suggestions and want to hear what perfumes you men like to smell on women.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2423&page=1&pp=15

My favorites:
Poeme (Lancome)
Rapture (Victoria's Secret)
Gardenia (Elizabeth Taylor)
Mackee (Bob Mackee)
Eucalyptus Spearmint Pillow Spray (Bath and Body Works)
Strawberries and Champagne (Victoria's Secret)

My grandmother loved Caesar's Woman (She bought it on the Home Shopping Network, supposedly you could only buy it at Caesar's Palace at the time. I have a bottle of it she gave me back when I was a youngin. I don't wear it, but it reminds me of her so I still have the bottle.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My favorite perfume is Chanel Gardenia. First released in the 1920s, it only appears on modern shelves about once every five years. I don't have a bottle yet, but I love to visit the Chanel counter and borrow a spritz! ;)

I also love Avon's Hollywood Pink--it's a powdery chocolate scent. It smells divine and comes in a retro atomizer.

I used to wear Amarige, and that always attracted the boys! ;)

Currently I am wearing Eau de Provence Lavender and Acacia, which is available at Bath and Body Works. It has a lovely old-fashioned scent, and they also sell a Lemon and Verbena perfume, which has fresh, lemon drop scent!

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
My favorite perfume is Chanel Gardenia. First released in the 1920s, it only appears on modern shelves about once every five years. I don't have a bottle yet, but I love to visit the Chanel counter and borrow a spritz! ;)

I also love Avon's Hollywood Pink--it's a powdery chocolate scent. It smells divine and comes in a retro atomizer.

I used to wear Amarige, and that always attracted the boys! ;)

Currently I am wearing Eau de Provence Lavender and Acacia, which is available at Bath and Body Works. It has a lovely old-fashioned scent, and they also sell a Lemon and Verbena perfume, which has fresh, lemon drop scent!

Here it is at Ebay plus i found plenty of sites on the net for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11850&item=5562959615&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I hope this helps!! :) ]

MissTayva

Chanel Gardenia is definitely on my list of favorites! It's been a while since I've worn it, however. Coty, that notorious drugstore brand, also makes their own rendition (called Jungle Gardenia) that is rather nice.

My current scent is Guerlain Shalimar-- it's an oriental scent whose spiciness is toned down with a subtle powdery scent. I bought the entire gift set (shower gel, lotion, fragrance). I find it a little too strong if I use all three products. In fact, the shower gel is so powerfully scented that I can get away with just wearing that alone.

I also love Cacharel Anais Anais and Chanel Coco. I guess I'm just a fan of stronget scents!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I love the scent of Shalimar, but on me it becomes too strong and acrid, much like Chanel No. 5.

I also like L'Air du Temps, although it strongly reminds me of my great aunt, as it was her signature scent!

How does Jungle Gardenia compare to Chanel's version?

MissTayva

jitterbugdoll said:
I love the scent of Shalimar, but on me it becomes too strong and acrid, much like Chanel No. 5.

I also like L'Air du Temps, although it strongly reminds me of my great aunt, as it was her signature scent!

How does Jungle Gardenia compare to Chanel's version?

Guerlain makes a scent, Oriental, that is very hard to find. I absolutely adore it, but I an not capable of wearing it... it too becomes overpowering and yucky smelling on me :-(

There really isn't much difference between the Chanel fragrance and Jungle Gardenia. They both consist of gardenia, jasmine and tuberrose. Not to mention, it's usually only $12 a bottle! I think the last time I found it was at Osco. I actually quit using it because when I was pregnant, the scent was repulsing! Haha... I actually fancy a bottle now! :)

lalajaja

New in Town
Jungle Gardenia by Coty is a discontinued perfume.

I love Jungle Gardenia by Coty, but haven't been able to find it in stores for several years now. I've been ordering it online at a reasonable price and have had no problem finding it.

However, this week, I went online to order more, and much to my surprise, I've found out that it's a rare, discontinued fragrance. I was fortunate enough to find it on ebay, and orderd four bottles for about $26 a piece. There are some vintage/rare perfume sellers that want upwards of $70 a bottle.

Looks like I may have to switch to Chanel's version when I run out of Coty's.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I saw something called Island Gardenia by Jovan (which I think is a Coty brand) at Walmart today for $9.50 if that helps anyone at all! :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is Chanel #19. I don't like sweet scents, with the exception of Jasmine.

Will have to try the E. Taylor Gardenia, haven't purchased anything of hers since White Diamonds debuted some years back, and that one I gave to my mother.

karol

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I just remembered my first perfume was White Shoulders. I was the 3rd generation to start with this perfume.My grandmother received it for her first perfume from her mother,did the same for my mother,and my mother did the same for me.
It's not my favorite scent(too powdery),but I have fond memories.I remember loving to run my fingers over the etched figure in the glass on the bottle and feeling so grown up. I always thought the bottle was so pretty.
Is the packaging still the same,or have they cheapened it by now?

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Vintage

Just talked to my 86-year old mother, who spent her younger years in the Golden Era. She remembers wearing Evening in Paris, which I think was a dimestore perfurme. She said she bought it as it was all she could afford (depression era).

She bought a bottle of Lucky You for me some years ago and I have used it, don't mind the scent. I have a unisex one called Red Canyon, which I bought in a Western wear store. Has a cleaner scent not sweet or flowery.

I just checked to see what perfume was on mother's dresser these days and found a little bottle of something called Lady Stetson.

Now, that sounds like a good one for the Fedora Lounge!

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran