Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for that nostalgic true feminine smell..!

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Oh I love Guerlain too!!! All Guerlain perfumes are incredible!!! I always wear "L'Heure Bleue" and I can't change lol!! That's terrible!! I've never tried "Jicky"!!! But I tried "Shalimar" and "Chamade"!! "Mitsouko" is really powerful!!!:p

olive bleu

One Too Many
I am kind of fragrance free at the moment,.although .not scent free...:)

I currently am trying to decide what i want to try next and i find so few fragrances actually smell good on me..it's a long process. My usual "nostalgic smell" is a combination of my camay soap and, my watkins lemon cream.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
ooh, let me know how you like the anais anais!! I have no nose for understanding scents except what I like and what I think stinks...I can't tell if it is a floral, citrus, musk or what. :rolleyes:

My samples arrived. I'm quite disappointed in the anais anais. It really has no distinct scent. I'll try it to see what hubby thinks, but it's not one I'd choose.
As for the others, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amariage. I have it on now. I can't wait for hubby to come home so he can smell it. I hope he likes it because I think of all I've tried lately, this in my favorite. The Burberry is also nice, but more of a spicy scent. I'll try that tomorrow.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
kamikat said:
My samples arrived. I'm quite disappointed in the anais anais. It really has no distinct scent. I'll try it to see what hubby thinks, but it's not one I'd choose.
As for the others, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amariage. I have it on now. I can't wait for hubby to come home so he can smell it. I hope he likes it because I think of all I've tried lately, this in my favorite. The Burberry is also nice, but more of a spicy scent. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know! I hope Hubby likes the Amariage too! You've been working hard getting a scent you both like! ;)

Rosebud

New in Town
My most favourite is Samsara by Guerlain, closely followed by White Linen in the summer. Sometimes I just want a single note perfume and on those occasions it has to either Bluebell by Penhaligons or Sandalwood oil by The Body Shop.

My Mum loved to wear Devonshire Violets or Lavender Toilet Water. I remember when I was very young she had a perfume bottle in the shape of a Thatched Cottage filled with Devonshire Violets scent.

My Gran always wore Lavender and had dried lavender everywhere. In bowls, in sachets for her dressing table. She had bushes in the garden and would take me out to 'harvest' some with her. We used to pick some and tie them up in bundles and attached them to a Airer which was on a pulley suspended from the kitchen ceiling and she used to pull it up and leave the lavender to dry. My next visit was spent pulling the dried lavender seeds off the stems and sewing little sachets of muslin and slipping the lavender seeds in so she could scent her clothes by putting them in her drawers, hang in her wardrobe, in dishes around the house and in the airing cupboard, Lovely:)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
thebadmamajama said:
Anyone ever try Guerlain's "Jicky?" I've been trying to track it down ever since I read "Meet Me In St. Louis" and that's what Mrs. Smith wore in 1904 (it's the book that inspired the Judy Garland musical).

Jicky is very different from today's modern perfumes. I like it, but it is hard to find in stores around here. They have it at some Nordstrom's, maybe Bloomingdales, and some boutiques. If you don't live near one of those, maybe samples from the internet are the best way.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
kamikat said:
I'm getting to the point where I can't really tell the difference either :D I think hubby can't, also. He said he likes florals, but so far, he's hated Rocher Femme, White Linen, Sung, which are all florals. He was ok with Giorgio, which is floral and ok with Opium (when he got home from work but not in the morning, maybe I should try the lotion) and the rose body spray from The Body Shop. His tastes are all over the place. I'm now just ordering minis that sound interesting, not based on what the top notes, base notes or whatever are.

Femme and White Linen are not "typical" florals, Sung is, but it is a strong scent. If he likes Giorgio and Opium, I'd say that maybe he prefers orientals, have you tried YSL Paris? It is an amber and rose scent--so floriental?

As for me, I wear what I like, I am not going to trust someone else's taste.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think I've settled on Burberry for Women. The whole day, I kept smelling my wrists and loving it. So far, it's the only one that has stood out for hubby. When I asked his thoughts, he said "hmm, interesting, more unique than the others". I asked him if it was interesting in a good way or a bad way and he said " a good way". It also lasted all day long without fading, which is a plus in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran