Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for that nostalgic true feminine smell..!

Cinnamon

New in Town
jayem said:
BPAL BPAL BPAL!!!

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/

They have a scent called Antique Lace
Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

Marie
A blend of sinuous violet and elegant tea rose: the chosen scent of France's Demigoddess of Debauch: Marie Antoinette.

Juliet
Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear.

Queen Gertrude
Imperial violet softened by wisteria and chrysanthemum, but edged with the regal iciness of delphinium.

Alice
Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Those are my favorites, to me the smell very antique-ish. I wear Marie the most. To me, Marie is a very true vintage smell. Roses are always a classic.

Wow I'm looking for a new fragrance right now. This site seems to have it all. Thanks for posting this.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I got my mini bottle of Rocher Femme. While I LOVE the scent, it fades really quickly. I think I'd buy a full sized bottle if I knew it would last longer. This stuff faded after about an hour.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
I have a question regarding solid perfumes.
Does anyone know if it was common to use it or available?
I have found some solid perfume jewelry on ebay saying 20s / 40s but I wondered if you have more information?

Actually, Molinard the French perfume house, created their first perfume solid, called Concreta in 1921. They came out with quite a few frangrances this way, in containers as diverse as little dice sets where each die had a different scent. The dice set was advertised in Vogue magazine in 1938.

There is also a boxed set of 6 Molinard concreta containers that you see on ebay, slightly later, but still very much the right time period. Here is a link to a blog where someone shows a set of three.

and here is the ebay guide to Molinard Concretas

In a copy of American Hairdresser Oct 1951, there is a section on christmas gifts, and there were at least two different companies with solid perfumes in the suggestions made, both retailed for $1.00.

While the 50's were the real heydey for perfume solids, they certainly existed before and were used.

And since quite a few of the 50's solids were perfumes made by the larger houses and had been in existence since the 20's, no reason one cant use them.

For example, Toujours Moi by Corday(now taken over by Dana) is a 1920s scent, but they were making the solids much later, so other then case design, it would be the same. I still wear Tourjours Moi today.

While perfume solids were available, they were of course not the most popular method, but they were out there and used.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad I didn't get a full-sized bottle of Rocher Femme. While I like it, hubby gave it a big "thumbs down". Back to the drawing board!

TessTrueheart

I'm afraid I'm not "vintage correct" at all when it comes to scents. My favourite is Jean Paul Gaultiers Fragile eau de parfume. I think it consists mainly of tuberose. And the bottle looks teriffic!

product-633939.jpg
[/IMG]

HeyMambo

New in Town
This is kind of a cool fragrance site

http://theperfumedcourt.com

They have a wide selection of vintage and niche perfumes, and the neat thing is that they do decants in various sizes, so you can try just a vial's worth to start. I've made one order - the samples are coming in singly instead of all at once, which was a bit odd, but I don't mind.

Jayem - I love Black Phoenix! They have a scent called Hetaira that I really like.

Sixsexsix - I used to wear Rue Royal from Hove years ago. It's a great little shop, too

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Great Site!

So cool! I just got a samplet set! I hate testing at the counters.. I need to test in real life! Woohoo! Thanks for posting this!

HeyMambo

New in Town
Red...

Great Site!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So cool! I just got a samplet set! I hate testing at the counters.. I need to test in real life! Woohoo! Thanks for posting this!

Glad you liked it! I'm a fragrance junkie, and I forsee many return visits!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Not a perfume as such but M&S do a range of toiletries with vintage inspired scents called The Floral Collection (Rose, China Blue, Lavender, Magnolia etc) which smell really yummy. They do each scent in a soap/shower gel, body lotion, talc, body spray, linen spray, hand cream and many others. They are really cheap and if you layer it on I'm sure you'd smell divine! I like the rose and china blue ones particularly.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
well, after trying all my eBay minis, I've decided to go back to my old stand-by, Opium. Hubby says it's too heavy, so I'll stick with the shower gel and body lotion.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Kamikat- that's my favorite fragrance as well. Fortunately though, my fiance likes it well enough. Not his favorite- he wishes I'd smell like a flower. But hey *shrugs* he deals with it! lol

HeyMambo

New in Town
Kamikat...

...I do the same thing with a recently-ressurected old favorite of mine, Youth Dew. I used to wear it in college, got bored with it eventually and just recently rediscovered it after many years. It's intense, though, so I just use the scented powder. Juuuuust enough to smell pretty without leaving vapor trails.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, I got my Opium in the mail today. I was so excited, but once I put it on, I hated it. Now I understand where hubby is coming from, so heavy and cloying. I just used a single, short spray on the wrist, then rubbed together. Even several hours later, it's still strong. I doubt hubby will be happy when he gets home. I'm actually thinking about taking a shower and changing clothes to get rid of the smell. I also received a mini of Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen, which is slightly different from the classic White Linen. Can't wait to try that! And, I found another I want to try. I was sitting behind a lady while waiting to be called for jury duty. Her perfume was so wonderful that I asked her what she wore. She was so flattered that I was interested. Her English wasn't very good, so while I know she said Burberry, I don't know which one. There seem to be several different Burberry scents for women. Guess I'll have to try them all ;)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I love Arpege by Lanvin and Shalimar... but not on me. I just find them a bit too heady. My signature perfume, Chanel Chance, isn't vintage but I get a lot of compliments on it, which is the important thing! Hot Couture by Givenchy was a close second, and the deco-ish style bottle is very attractive.

I tried another scent by Guerlain a while back, very oriental but it wasn't Mitsouko. I just can't think of the name right now...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
In my never ending quest to find a fragrance both hubby and I can agree on, I have just ordered minis of Amarige, Burberry and Anais Anais. Hubby hated White Linen and Pure White Linen, which surprised me, as so far, he seemed to like florals.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ooh, let me know how you like the anais anais!! I have no nose for understanding scents except what I like and what I think stinks...I can't tell if it is a floral, citrus, musk or what. :rolleyes:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
~*Red*~ said:
ooh, let me know how you like the anais anais!! I have no nose for understanding scents except what I like and what I think stinks...I can't tell if it is a floral, citrus, musk or what. :rolleyes:

I'm getting to the point where I can't really tell the difference either :D I think hubby can't, also. He said he likes florals, but so far, he's hated Rocher Femme, White Linen, Sung, which are all florals. He was ok with Giorgio, which is floral and ok with Opium (when he got home from work but not in the morning, maybe I should try the lotion) and the rose body spray from The Body Shop. His tastes are all over the place. I'm now just ordering minis that sound interesting, not based on what the top notes, base notes or whatever are.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Anyone ever try Guerlain's "Jicky?" I've been trying to track it down ever since I read "Meet Me In St. Louis" and that's what Mrs. Smith wore in 1904 (it's the book that inspired the Judy Garland musical).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart