Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tonyb.....hatter and a gentleman

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Here is a little tease for a new hat Tony is making for me.

My birthday is on National Hat Day and my lovely wife offered to get me a new custom hat as a present. It actually took a little while to get the order over to Tony, but the hat is now in the final stages

smugshot_2781406-L.jpg

This is from one of Tony's photos - the ribbon still needs to be put into place - should be here before too long though :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm a big fan of Tony's work so getting a new Tumwater hat is a real treat.

I've wanted a black/burgundy hat for ages - Jared (jlee) has a great Penman in that colour scheme and Harry (ordinary guy) has a fantastic VS version.

So, my wife told me that she's get me a new hat for my birthday - it has arrived.

Black beaver felt with a vintage French ribbon, this hat is similar in style to my Midnite Blue Tumwater - this one was inspired by a great blue Dobbs 20, owned by Lounger Delectans.

So here's the hat - what do you think?

D33_2429-L.jpg

D33_2430-L.jpg

D33_2432-L.jpg

fashion frank

One Too Many

I've wanted a black/burgundy hat for ages - Jared (jlee) has a great Penman in that colour scheme and Harry (ordinary guy) has a fantastic VS version.

So, my wife told me that she's get me a new hat for my birthday - it has arrived.

Black beaver felt with a vintage French ribbon, this hat is similar in style to my Midnite Blue Tumwater - this one was inspired by a great blue Dobbs 20, owned by Lounger Delectans.

D33_2429-L.jpg

Man oh man that thing is the cats meow.
The colors are just perfect together .
Just one question , what does the inside look like in regards to liner and sweat.
Good luck with it that is one sharp looking hat !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Frank. Here's a shot of the inside...

smugshot_4147828-L.jpg

Tony doesn't have the branded liners and boxes of some of the other hatters. He does use good quality materials though and the work is always first class.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up

D33_2429-L.jpg

D33_2430-L.jpg

D33_2432-L.jpg

That is the PERFECT hat!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
What a nice birthday present. Congratulations, David!

The ribbon material is very interesting. The ribbon has a little more "silky" look than the usual grosgrain, no? I like the way the bow creases with this material.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, Feraud, Rusty, Nik - thanks, guys.

Nik, you are right about the ribbon. The vertical ribs are much finer than any other grosgrain ribbon I have, giving a silky sheen to the ribbon. When Tony was finishing off the hat, I was torn between this one and a more conservative ribbon.

I'm glad I went with the more flamboyant ribbon, I think it works well with the more austere black felt.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez...I had to hunt for this thread for some time now...guess I just will have to get Tony make another hat for us here, to get things going! LOL If I don't drive him nuts first! [angel]

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Great minds think alike! I love the color combo on that David. It really gives black hats some much needed character. I did the same color combo on the black Squatter I used to have. Here's the one I did. Very similar to yours except for the bow style....

Black_Beast_03.jpg

Black_Beast_01.jpg

Black_Beast_02.jpg

I think that color ribbon really works out well for black hats.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Great minds think alike! I love the color combo on that David. It really gives black hats some much needed character. I did the same color combo on the black Squatter I used to have. Here's the one I did. Very similar to yours except for the the bow style....

Black_Beast_03.jpg

Black_Beast_01.jpg

Black_Beast_02.jpg

I think that color ribbon really works out well for black hats.

That is sharp. Love the "speedo dial" on that radio also.

As we all know, many hatters reside here that make nice custom hats, yet for some reason, looking at the hats made by Tony just have something different and really attractive about them. And there is how well he communicates everything to make sure what he makes is exactly what you had in mind. The thin ribbon that he made for Daniel was about as perfect as it can get. However, I did sort of bounce around a bit with the width of the brim when making the order, as things already were "in the mix"....but it produced a final result of the most beautiful hat we have ever had come into our home. It is hands down Daniel's favorite and I think the same, it is just a drop dead beauty.

I'm thinking a blue hat this time. The struggle on it will be thin ribbon, or...one of his real fancy wide ribbons?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
TJ - I know you're not a big black hat guy, but the Squatter looks great with that ribbon. The black/burgundy is a great combo.

Cynthia - yes, there is something about Tony's hats that is just a little distinctive. I have several and each is special.
The hat Tony made for Daniel is fantastic - most of the thin ribbon hats I have are vintage, but I can visualize a Daniel Special on my head one day!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
TJ - I know you're not a big black hat guy, but the Squatter looks great with that ribbon. The black/burgundy is a great combo.

Cynthia - yes, there is something about Tony's hats that is just a little distinctive. I have several and each is special.
The hat Tony made for Daniel is fantastic - most of the thin ribbon hats I have are vintage, but I can visualize a Daniel Special on my head one day!

Yes it in some ways is sort of "elegant" by being just a beautiful hat all on it's own, you know not having any bells and whistles just the color, shape, ribbon color it just all fits. Daniel would say it is toast with jam on it! lol

It is odd, however, that at first you get the "hat bug" and as you well know, when it bites you, it really sinks the teeth in deep! LOL! The bug was about the typical "fedora" look...you know 2 1/2 inch (or less) snap brim, wide ribbon, grey or black. Then along came the vintage Strats and Resistols with the wider brims and thin ribbons. Just taking a peek at what hats we have stashed all in the closets (note CLOSET"S" as they take up more space than just one large walk in, aside from the 150 pairs plus shoes....(sigh...********.......lol) I only can note three hats that are wide ribbon, the rest are all thin ribbon hats. So....leaning on how Tony does have some very "wicked" looking wide ribbon hats, I may just have to touch base with having one made with a wide ribbon.......unless someone has a "convertable"....top up, wide ribbon....top down...thin! But what I did have in mind was a thin ribbon blue hat body, light ivory of light lemon yellow ribbon and edge treatment. Now to just nail it down in my budget and then beg Tony to take my order....lol! I will have to be diplomatic....sort of like the Verizon commercial, Hey Tony, can you hear me now? lol! He does have several hats on the gallery that are so tempting also....where is that money tree when you need it?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yep...I have what I want to have made now all figured out...( I HOPE) !!!!

Just have to love the adventure of a new hat to be made! Sort of like playing five card poker...and you know you are getting 4 aces dealt in advance!:eusa_clap

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
And, now...as the late great Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of the story! I am finally up to snuff with the extra cashola...the hoola moolah to pay pal for a new hat from Mr. Tony B! WWWWWOOOOOT! Daniel is going to LOVE the new hat...his all time favorite hat now is his custom from Tony...and now another creation from heaven all of it's own to be made.....

I already know the hat will knock it out of the park, and be a home run....what can you expect? It is coming from one of the best! Thank you Tony,..even before that magic is being worked....got to love it! I am so excited and as I know Daniel will be as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters