Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothes - where do I find them?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prices sure are jaw dropping

Robert Conway said:
A few years back I shot a short film and needed some period costumes for the lead actress.

I came across these two places, during my search, and some of the items they have for sale are truly jaw dropping, - and priced accordingly.

http://www.vintagetextile.com/

http://www.antiquedress.com/

Cheers,

Robert Conway
Thanks for putting up some more sites to visit. I have seen both of those during one of my endless searches for the perfect internet vintage clothing dealer, and my jaw certainly did drop at those prices! Hmmm, it's nice to dream about vintage couture. Seeing those sites only enhances my need to learn how to sew!
:)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Bad experience

Hi ladies,
I just got home from a big vintage fair and I had such a bad experience. I feel really narked about it and thought I'd come and let off steam. I paid a lot of money for a 40's rayon crepe dress that needed a little work on the collar. I discovered whilst showing my best friend my new purchase that there was a tear in the fabric of the shoulder. Anyway I thought it would be a fair and square money back deal, but this particular seller gave me such a hard time despite the fact that she had not pointed this out to me at the point of purchase and even tried to suggest that I had torn the dress myself!!!!! There was a great deal of "well can't you sew it yourself" and "these things are sold as seen" whilst I fumed silently...... I mean come on girls am I being unreasonable $170.00 is a lot of money.
Got my money back in the end, but am quite ruffled by the whole experience.........
Think I will stick to internet and my usual sellers.....
By the way and on a positive note has anyone mentioned Vintageous on the internet I only just found them the other day and they have SUCH fantastic stuff!!!!
vintageous.com
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

JiveAngel

New in Town
Has anyone mentioned Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing? I thought as I was reading the "what would you change" thread and saw all the ladies who wished they were smaller/shorter. I haven't purchased anything from them myself, but my mother has bought many things. They have a whole section for "Curvier ladies". My mom is no tiny girl and has gotten many lovely things from them, often dead stock. She has never been disappointed and says they are very helpful when you communicate with them.

Kaz

New in Town
Vintage clothes

Hi I'm new to this forum but not to collecting vintage which I've done for more than 20 years.

I read this thread and noticed someone mentioned vintage playthings. I went to this shop three years ago on a visit to LA and I was so impressed. It was easily the best shop I found. Although the prices were a little higher than Long Beach the quality and selection of stuff was too.

Well worth a visit for those in LA. You American girlies are sooo lucky you have far more vintage shops and a bigger choice of clothes than us over the pond.

Kaz

Tin Pan Sally

One of my favorite shops in the Phoenix area is Matilda's Closet. They don't have much online, mostly in-store, but here is their website:http://www.vintagefinery.com/

Also:
Buffalo Exchange www.buffaloexchange.com/
Go Kat Go www.go-kat-go.com/

Good Will has a great sale every month. All the thrift stores are fun to sift through (hunting and gathering instincts)

Gracie's; 1520 E Apache Blvd (between Rural and McClintock), Tempe and 255 E Southern Ave, Mesa
Mon-Sat 9am-6pm, closed Sun

Travel thru Time; 4725 N Central Ave, Phoenix,
Mon-Sat, 10:30-5, Sun 12-4

Vintage Fashion Inc, 4700 N Central Ave 117, Phoenix,
Open Saturdays ONLY, 12-5, by appointment only, (602) 462-1478.

Yesterdaze Vintage Wear; 2413 E Osborn Rd, Phoenix

Matilda's Closet; 5745 W Glendale Ave, Glendale,
Wed - Sun 12-5

www.brassarmadillo.com/phxstore.htm
www.buttercupclothing.com
www.erawarehouse.com
www.good-threads-consign.info/
www.jinxproof.net
www.kontrive.com
www.plushliving.net/info.html
www.zootsuitstore.com

Antique Trove, 2020 N Scottsdale Rd, Hours: 10 am - 6pm daily

Hidden Closet 6990 E Shea Blvd, Ste 118, Scottsdale, Hours: 10am - 6pm, Mon -Fri, 10am to 4pm Sat

www.thepaperbagprincess.com

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
If you're in So Cal, Laguna Beach (south of main beach) has some great shops. My favorite is Tippie Canoe it's right off of PCH and it's got some great stuff. I've found wonderful sweaters and dresses there. But they have a little of everything. Also I would say some of the shops on the circle in Orange off of Glassell and Chapman have some great stuff, lot's of small vendors. Also, there is a place, I think it's in Orange also, called Flashbacks (I'm not sure of this name, I'll ask my friend Sarah tonight). There are a couple other places here in OC that I can't think of right now, but I'll post when I think of them.

JustJen

Familiar Face
Modern with a vintage twist

I know this may not be the most appropriate place to post this here, but I've purchased many of my 'vintage inspired' clothing from maxstudio.com.

Buyer beware though! Don't buy anything full price...it usually goes on sale about 2 weeks after it comes out. And I always do my shopping with them online (the nearest store is in Dallas and I ain't facing traffic to get there).

Jen

PicklePod05

New in Town
I've been looking at the sites listed here, they've all got beautiful things. Unfortunately, a lot of it I can't afford on my budget :( I am very small, and am having trouble finding things that are affordable and my size, even on ebay. I am 5' 36-24-36. I will eventually start making my own clothes, but as of right now I can only hand sew, and that will take too long lol. I've tried looking around on the internet for sites, but so far no luck. Any suggestions of where I can find small sizes that are affordable?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
ITG-(Max Studio)
I know there is one in Northpark mall and there is an outlet at The Allen Outlet Mall. There may be more locations,but those are the 2 I knew about.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Ah thanks! Isn't the Allen outlet mall off of I-75? If so, could you tell me which exit? I'll be in Dallas on Saturday and may go out that way if I have time.

Dragonia

New in Town
Cheap or Free Vintage (in August)

Anyone in the New England area should try church fairs and the like. The older Yankee's will be dragging out their items to donate (sadly thinking no one wants them anymore).

Coming up in the begining of August in Wolfeboro, NH there is the Hospital Fair. This is all donations with sales going to the local hospital. Here you can find everything vintage for cheap! As times goes by on day 2 the prices drop to $1 a bag and then free! The not only have a boutique and general clothing area, but a men's and women's White Elephant (dishes, stereos, furniture, etc). For the guys - hats on the cheap too! (Though my husband may be snatching them up).

Just think that all those yuppies moving in to the great old Summer cottages are tossing all that "junk" to the wind. Boo hoo, except now it'll be with people who love it!

JustJen

Familiar Face
ITG said:
Where in Dallas is max studio? I live in Arlington. Do they do their sales online only or in the store too?

Check out their website before you go. I've found that when I do go into the store, I don't get quite as good of a bargain as I do online......they also have an outlet store out in Allen too.

New Girl With a Question

Hello Everyone,
Quick question concerning vintage clothing. On a couple of vintage sites, I've noticed a category for "Graveyard clothing". The description usually notes that the clothing is not in wearable condition and there are no returns. What is "Graveyard clothing"? --- Deb

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
'Graveyard clothing" is a term used for items that are either in need of major repair, have a number of noticeable flaws (scattered holes, major fade, etc.), or are too damaged to be worn, but are still suitable for study pieces (for reference or to make a pattern.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner