Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Concealed Weapons

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad,

It's definitely an antique, I think it'd be very functional for the period in which it was made. A lot less sitting around I imagine. :)

On my "stuff I should do" list is trying something similar, but for a smaller gun and with more of a crossdraw angle on the muzzle.

I like the idea of using suspender buttons as the support.

Edward

Bartender
carebear said:
Makes sense as a way to support a holster not in a pocket in an era when your pants may not have had belt loops. I think it is for front crossdraw but it's hard to tell. Definitely not "ride in a car or sit at a desk all day" friendly.

fc521ab2.jpg

I've never carried a handgun, so I don't have any experience one way or the other, but it always seemed to me that anything worn inside the trousers like that could get very uncomfortable, unless perhaps the trousers were worn wider in the waistband than otherwise necessary? I imagine this would work rather better with the looser fit and higher wasit of more vintage style trousers...

Often toyed with the idea of having a shoulder holster run up for a mobile phone, but always decied against it as, not least because concealed carry is not permitted here, I wouldn't want to give the appearance of carrying or reaching for a gun. Has anyone ever done that for real? I'm sure I remember seeing it in some Hollywood film, but... Of course, n this day and age of smalle,r more convenient handsets it's not the issue once it was.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Edward said:
Often toyed with the idea of having a shoulder holster run up for a mobile phone, but always decied against it as, not least because concealed carry is not permitted here, I wouldn't want to give the appearance of carrying or reaching for a gun. Has anyone ever done that for real? I'm sure I remember seeing it in some Hollywood film, but... Of course, n this day and age of smalle,r more convenient handsets it's not the issue once it was.

It was fashionable some years ago for people who wanted to look like tough drug dealers (i.e. people who didn't look at all tough or anything like drug dealers).

Edward

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
It was fashionable some years ago for people who wanted to look like tough drug dealers (i.e. people who didn't look at all tough or anything like drug dealers).

Wow, I must have missed that entirely. When I really wanted one was back when I still had clunky, soapbar-style phones that clipped on my belt and got in the way a lot.... I'd still be tempted for my digital camera, barring the obvious (even though that too is much smaller than once it was). More a matter of practicality for me than wanting to give off a certain image (my Noir hero was Bogie, really - I loved his 'no carry' policy in The Big Sleep).

WH1

Practically Family
Edward said:
I've never carried a handgun, so I don't have any experience one way or the other, but it always seemed to me that anything worn inside the trousers like that could get very uncomfortable, unless perhaps the trousers were worn wider in the waistband than otherwise necessary? I imagine this would work rather better with the looser fit and higher wasit of more vintage style trousers...

Ideally when getting a suit or trousers fitted you should take the holster and gun, additional mag carrier, etc. with you. Of course you should prearrange this with your tailor or seamstress. She might be better armed than you and a better aim too! :p lol

carebear

Edward said:
Wow, I must have missed that entirely. When I really wanted one was back when I still had clunky, soapbar-style phones that clipped on my belt and got in the way a lot.... I'd still be tempted for my digital camera, barring the obvious (even though that too is much smaller than once it was). More a matter of practicality for me than wanting to give off a certain image (my Noir hero was Bogie, really - I loved his 'no carry' policy in The Big Sleep).

Ask and ye shall receive. Though it seems in our consumer society someone will provide regardless of the asking. :rolleyes:

(the first one is "designer")

http://www.koffski.com/index.php?mnav=3206&nnav=3181

http://www.eholster.com/emohocasy.html

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/

carebear

Edward said:
I've never carried a handgun, so I don't have any experience one way or the other, but it always seemed to me that anything worn inside the trousers like that could get very uncomfortable, unless perhaps the trousers were worn wider in the waistband than otherwise necessary? I imagine this would work rather better with the looser fit and higher waist of more vintage style trousers...

Edward,

As long as you leave room in the trousers for both you and the gun it is a comfortable way to carry, though I do wear mine at or near the waist and fitted, not tight or baggy. Hip huggers and the skin tight jeans the emo kids wear wouldn't work at all. Like WH says, when I buy suits I get them tailored around the gun. Surprisingly most tailors, at least up here, are pretty familiar with that kind of request, in my experience they were even before concealed carry was common. I guess "well-heeled" has two meanings. [huh]

The key is a good belt and holster to carry and spread the weight. I regularly carry a 1911 (the old military .45) inside the waist just behind my right hip (where it is out of the way of the swing of my leg) all day long. You get used to it being there and, as odd as it may sound, carrying a gun becomes just part of getting dressed in the morning.

Regardless of whether you ever would, you can take comfort in living in a place that doesn't allow carry for one reason you may not have thought of; it enables you to avoid the expense and time of ordering holsters that end up being "not quite right".

Holsters are often less returnable than shoes, especially if at all custom. Most people who are seriously into firearms have a box o' holsters worth several hundred dollars that they can't sell or even give away, often for guns they don't own anymore. :eusa_doh:

carebear said:
Edward, Regardless of whether you ever would, you can take comfort in living in a place that doesn't allow carry for one reason you may not have thought of; it enables you to avoid the expense and time of ordering holsters that end up being "not quite right".

Holsters are often less returnable than shoes, especially if at all custom. Most people who are seriously into firearms have a box o' holsters worth several hundred dollars that they can't sell or even give away, often for guns they don't own anymore. :eusa_doh:

At certain gunshows you'll see these holsters as the travel around the country dragged from show to show never finding the right gun or a good home, It's like "The Island of Misfit Toys" and just so sad. :(

Edward

Bartender
carebear said:
Edward,

As long as you leave room in the trousers for both you and the gun it is a comfortable way to carry, though I do wear mine at or near the waist and fitted, not tight or baggy. Hip huggers and the skin tight jeans the emo kids wear wouldn't work at all. Like WH says, when I buy suits I get them tailored around the gun. Surprisingly most tailors, at least up here, are pretty familiar with that kind of request, in my experience they were even before concealed carry was common. I guess "well-heeled" has two meanings. [huh]

I suppose that's something that maybe varies area to area - assuming, that is, that the rate of carry varies, or is it prtty even right across all States?

Regardless of whether you ever would, you can take comfort in living in a place that doesn't allow carry for one reason you may not have thought of; it enables you to avoid the expense and time of ordering holsters that end up being "not quite right".

lol , yes, this place is full of enablers enough ithout adding somthing else to my "but I need it!" list. ;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I'm sorry a bit off topic but couldn't resist. :eek: :D

" Loaded Legs - 1922, she claims exemption from concealed weapon regulation by saying her thirty-two isn't a concealed weapon in these days of knee-lenght skirts."

1920SGIRLWITHgun.jpg

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
I have that picture as a background image on my computer.

Kind of odd in that it's a .25 in a holster for something larger. Staged perhaps?

I'm in the "stick it in the pants pocket" camp Usually its either a really shabby looking Beretta 950 or an Airweight with a bobbed hammer.

M

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Another option to consider is a small handgun in a pocket holster. The nemesis by Desantis is one of the best of the breed. It has a rubbery band on the outside to keep the holster in your pocket if you have to draw the gun. My Taurus 38 snub rides very comfortably that way.

The Ringneck

New in Town
Anyone know if someone makes the old fashioned wrist holsters for Derringers and small automatics? It was in production into the 50's and 60's.

BradLaGrange

anon`

One Too Many
The Ringneck said:
Anyone know if someone makes the old fashioned wrist holsters for Derringers and small automatics? It was in production into the 50's and 60's.

BradLaGrange
Any competent leather worker-type probably could, especially if you have pictures of an original to go off of. There's a maker near me that I suspect would do one up if asked real nice.

But offhand, I don't know of anyone who does a regular-production model.

The Ringneck

New in Town
Anon: Thanks, but these were a little above a good leathersmith. Most were a leather wrist cuff(easy enough for someoen with the talent) but used a leather covered peiece of spring steel to hold the gun----look up wild west shoulder holsters as they used the same principal. Not sure if a holstermaker would want to go to that much trouble.

BradLaGrange

anon`

One Too Many
The Ringneck said:
Anon: Thanks, but these were a little above a good leathersmith. Most were a leather wrist cuff(easy enough for someoen with the talent) but used a leather covered peiece of spring steel to hold the gun----look up wild west shoulder holsters as they used the same principal. Not sure if a holstermaker would want to go to that much trouble.

BradLaGrange
Some will, at least. I've seen more than one traditional waist-level holster out there whose mouth is reinforced with a metal insert, so it's certainly not a lost art.
The company I mentioned in my previous post (and one that I've shamelessly plugged here before) is Ted Blocker Holsters; they did the rigs for Public Enemies, and I've personally futzed around with the prototype of the shoulder rig they made for Depp. Those holsters are of the clamshell variety with a spring clip for retention.

You'll have more trouble convincing a maker to produce something without a secondary means of retention (like a strap) than to insert a spring, for liability reasons.

I've been in touch with the folks at Blocker, and they say for safety and liability reasons they have to add a strap--I was quoted $500 for the Public Enemies rig. (Funny thing is, I wanted a wide-open front exactly FOR safety reasons--so I can pull the gun out the front with it still mostly vertical, with less risk of the muzzle pointing at someone behind me!)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Kilt Concealed

HadleyH said:
I'm sorry a bit off topic but couldn't resist. :eek: :D

" Loaded Legs - 1922, she claims exemption from concealed weapon regulation by saying her thirty-two isn't a concealed weapon in these days of knee-lenght skirts."

1920SGIRLWITHgun.jpg
Wow, thats exactly how I carry my Colt 1911! Under my Kilt!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My timing is as good as ever. When I posted last night, the holster I had ordered was nearing twice the estimated delivery time. I sent a polite inquiry this morning via email, and of course UPS delivered it to my door an hour later.

I spent some minutes adjusting the hardware for the best fit, and now here I sit, my little 9mm tucked snugly under my left arm, and still no camera to take any pictures.

As you can see from the company's photo, it is dark brown leather with a nice wide shoulder strap. The holster is form-fit for the particular model of gun, and the open muzzle design allows for the barrel to extend. In the case of the P-11, the barrel is so short that there is an extra quarter-inch or so of leather that actually could have been trimmed.

I'm going to wear it around the house for a while to get a feel for it and to decide if it's comfortable (and concealable) enough for daily wear. Of course I wear suits to the office every day, so keeping the little guy out of view under my jacket should not pose a problem.

Bless the great state of Nevada and our antiquated notions of personal reliance and self-defense.

K400.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Ok folks, someone has to step up to the plate. The name of the thread is "Concealed (Weapon) Fashion," and with 25 pages there isn't a single picture of one of us wearing a concealed weapon with fashion!

I figured out how to take still photos with my digital video camera, but it is a serious pain in the neck. Here's what I wore today:

017.jpg

018.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner