Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Saxophones

Chas

One Too Many
A full overhaul will cost you between $1k and 1.500; not what you would pay for a student model, and your horn is far better than that. Don't even have to go shopping.:D

Be warned- vintage saxes are a little like potato chips. One ain't enough.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
If the draw of vintage saxes are anything like good, vintage jazz guitars, you in a lot o' trouble. At one time, I had about 30 guitars and electric basses. It was too dang much. It was way hard to sell them and stop collecting. :eusa_doh:

Bebop

Practically Family
BoPeep said:
Just bringing her out to photograph for this thread gave me goosebumps . . like cradling a baby. She needs new pads, cork and a few springs. Also a bit of corrosion on the bottom of the bell. :( I'm on the hunt for a reputable shop. Or is this something I could do myself?

If it only needs cork, pads and a few springs, it should cost you well under $200. It doesn't look like it needs a full overhaul. Whatever you do, don't try doing all that yourself. Leave it to someone with experience.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Bebop said:
Whatever you do, don't try doing all that yourself. Leave it to someone with experience.

To me, overhauling a sax is like opening a watch where all the hundreds of parts are spring loaded. Lots of little fiddly bits. A good tech can make it sound like it's supposed to.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll take it somewhere. Wisconsin prices may be a bit less than you folks on the coasts. I've heard horror stories of horns being "reconditioned" (?) and then they sounded like crap. Not sure if this included a chemical dip or what, but I'm looking for pads, cork and a few springs (can't play a b-flat). What should I do about the corrosion? In a few spots, the finish is gone, and it's getting a nice green patina. I'm not fussy about worn off finish, but the crusty stuff makes me nervous.

Hercule

Practically Family
How are vintage saxes as players? Do you approach playing them differently? I'm a brass player and play an 1889 Besson cornet. Great horn and great warm sound, very different that anything you'd hear today. I find that many modern players approach a vintage instrument just as they would a modern instrument and consequently judge an old horn by how it reacts to a type of playing it wasn't necessarily intended to do. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hercule

Bebop

Practically Family
BoPeep said:
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll take it somewhere. Wisconsin prices may be a bit less than you folks on the coasts. I've heard horror stories of horns being "reconditioned" (?) and then they sounded like crap. Not sure if this included a chemical dip or what, but I'm looking for pads, cork and a few springs (can't play a b-flat). What should I do about the corrosion? In a few spots, the finish is gone, and it's getting a nice green patina. I'm not fussy about worn off finish, but the crusty stuff makes me nervous.

In case you are interested in finding out what a pro technician can do for your horn and what it would cost you, I know of one in Wisconsin. I don't know if you are anywhere near Madison but he can at least set you on the right path.

http://www.doctorsax.biz/index.htm

BoPeep

Practically Family
Bebop - thank you!! My sister is in Madison. This would definitely be worth a visit. Even if I never get serious about playing again, I just can't let the ole girl rust away. Thanks again for the help!

Chas

One Too Many
Hercule said:
How are vintage saxes as players? Do you approach playing them differently? I'm a brass player and play an 1889 Besson cornet. Great horn and great warm sound, very different that anything you'd hear today. I find that many modern players approach a vintage instrument just as they would a modern instrument and consequently judge an old horn by how it reacts to a type of playing it wasn't necessarily intended to do. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.Hercule

You're going to sound like you playing an older instrument. If you went to the Rutgers University Jazz Library Museum and took out Lester Young's 10M you would sound like you. Personally, I try to pattern my playing style after the masters - Prez, Hawk, Jacquet, Davis and Webster; in a continual search for interesting licks, passages and musical ideas. I occasionally come up with some of my own that I subsequently discover in old recordings, and steadfastly refuse to play patterns. What I hope to evolve into is an individual player who has his own style but who is evocative of the old masters. If one attends a University Jazz program and all one learns is how to play theoretically correct patterns, then you sound like patterns on a horn, no matter when that horn was made.

That is a different subject altogether.

A couple of years ago I snuck down to the stage where the Marsalis outfit was playing and started spotting old horns; one of the musicians saw me and came down to investigate; once he found out I was an old horn enthusiast we got into a spirited conversation about vintage instruments. What I found out was that the majority of the LCJO were enthusiastic vintage instrumentalists. The idea that these seasoned pros were down with old horns only confirmed what I always suspected about old instruments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy