Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing black leather jacket with brown boots and belt

STW

Familiar Face
Hello Fedora experts,
I hope it's not out of the question for casual wear with dark blue jeans--wearing a black leather jacket with brown boots and belt?

It's a black motorcycle jacket, but the best boots I have for riding are dark brown Chippewa boots, and my two pair of engineer riding boots are both shades of dark brown. My usual casual belt is dark brown too. (Also, if it matters, often a brown leather Hirsch Liberty watch band, although sometimes a black rubber watch band.)

All my leather jackets to this point have been brown, but this last one had to be a black jacket for various reasons. But I don't want to have to transform into an all black wearing rider just because of it. Can't manage that all-black-leather look, even if I were wanting to shop for black boots and belts, which I'm not.

I leave it to you, Fedora Lounge experts, to guide me and prevent me from looking like a total git. Partial git may be unavoidable.

Thanks.

JLStorm

Practically Family
there is nothing worse than someone who makes it apparent that they have tried to hard to match. I wouldnt sweat it honestly...just do your thing and enjoy it.

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Agree with JLStorm

I agree with JLStorm. Brown belt, brown boots are fine with the black jacket and jeans. Blaze your own trail. Now, if you'd have added "and a pink hat", I likely would have had issues.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey STW

While it all depends on the boots and belt in question, I honestly wouldn't sweat it that much. POSSIBLY try to find a black belt, as if the jacket ends at your waist, the brown/black contrast might be more apparent. Even so, I don't think it's a real issue. So long as your happy with the way it looks, go with it.

STW

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm thinking it's a pretty firm rule with business clothes, suit or sport coat and dress trousers. But maybe outerwear is an exception to the leather-match thing, especially with casual dress/jeans.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I own a Belstaff Trialmaster which is made from black waxed cotton with mid brown stitching. I usually wear that jacket with brown Jodphurs, Chelsea Boots or Redwings and I don't see any problem. But somehow I wouldn't be able to wear brown boots along with my black Aero Cafe Racer. Olive drab Converse Allstars are ok but solid brown boots are not imo... Just my two cents.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
STW said:
Guess I'm thinking it's a pretty firm rule with business clothes, suit or sport coat and dress trousers. But maybe outerwear is an exception to the leather-match thing, especially with casual dress/jeans.
Not in my book. [huh] Just ask yourself: If you did have boots, belt and watch strap in black, would you even consider mixing colors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo