Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Adventures of the Scarlet Cloak, radio audition from February, 1950. It's a demo show, designed to land a sponsor. Set in 1842 California, there is a Zorro-type masked crime fighter, helping local innocents battle pre-Gold Rush gangsters. Wendell Niles, the King of All Announcers, does the lead. It sounds like Gerald Mohr doing the announcing and the part of the bad guy.

Interestingly, part of the pitch for selling the show to a potential sponsor is that the program could very easily translate to a television program.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to sizzle in the heat by --

Now playing, from 1936 it's a tasty novelty tune by Nat Shilkret's brother Jack and his Orchestra, "One Hamburger For Madame." Chick Bullock vocalizes the order. And hold the onions!

Next, following -- how appropriate -- a commercial for Bromo Seltzer, it's the Andrews Sisters in 1943 and "One Meat Ball." Haven't these people ever heard of rationing?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Janet Klein & her Parlor Boy's latest CD, "Whoopee! Hey! Hey! Songs to cheer in tumultuous times"
kleinj7.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
Thanks Fletch. From your link, I continued searching some Kemp Orchestra numbers. I believe it was Gloomy Sunday that blew me away. Then there was another item I found thanks to your link that is showing me some numbers from Bunny Berigan, Charlie Barnet and Glen Gray & The Casa Loma Orchestra.

I am expanding my ears to other orchestras that I was unaware of. But thanks to you, I have found several this afternoon that I am really impressed with that I otherwise wouldn't have found. Plus, the boys in the office are getting an ear full from my computer. lol So far no complaints.

I will try jazz online. Thanks again.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to batten down the hatches for the coming storm by --

Starting off in 1934 with Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra and "You're Such A Comfort To Me." Nobody ever did cutie-pie duets quite so well as Ozzie and Harriet, and this one's a prime example of them at their peak, long before Ozzie's sad descent into Daddy's-A-Dope-But-We-Love-Him-Anyway.

Next, it's a prime contestant in the Not Quite Annette Hanshaw Derby, seventeen-year-old Miss Sylvia Froos in 1931, with "You Didn't Know The Music." Eatcha heart out, Baby Rose Marie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner