Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
we (artistic natured types) tend to start out trying to push the envelope, only to later discover how conservative our taste actually is. :eek:

So conservative that you just can't get past 1924 (or whenever).

That suit looks splendid. Best yet? It actually looks sharply modern. Your reference points are at such a point that I think, to the modern eye, there is no reference - so it looks modern. Well done.

And the shirt works on you. The real success of the shirt will be if it manages to make me think about wearing contrasting collars. I've thought long and hard and I'm still too stuck on 'mid-1980s politician' to dare wearing one.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
That suit looks splendid. Best yet? It actually looks sharply modern. Your reference points are at such a point that I think, to the modern eye, there is no reference - so it looks modern. Well done.

thanks.
i don't think i could pick a 'best' out of the last 6 or so suits i've made, and i'm not really inclined to.

yes, that's the paradox of the early 20s styles; they're earlier than the 30s-40s but probably appear more 'modern' due to the narrower legs and unpadded shoulders.

p.s. more shots of the suit here: http://laurencejohn.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:

Claudio

Vendor
lovely suit there HBK. IMpressive work. If I need to knitpick it would be the choice of tie (dark grey/black?) with the blue gingham check.

I usually 'balance' the white collar with white cuffs as looks 'incomplete' with just the collar being contrasting, but that's just a personal choice.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I usually 'balance' the white collar with white cuffs as looks 'incomplete' with just the collar being contrasting, but that's just a personal choice.

HBK mentioned before that he wanted white cuffs, but Luxire made a mistake here.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
lovely suit there HBK. IMpressive work. If I need to knitpick it would be the choice of tie (dark grey/black?) with the blue gingham check.

the check is black but appears blue in the photos. to be honest, i'm dying to find / make a shirt that is better suited to this outfit. the Luxire shirt is the only early 20s collar style shirt i currently have which is why i wore it for that photo, though i agree it's not the perfect pairing.

Don Pelon

New in Town
This is me at the Great Gatsby Summer Afternoon in Oakland, CA. I posted a lot more photos in the Steamer Trunk Section of the Lounge (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?79025-Great-Gatsby-Summer-Afternoon-2014). It was Damn Hot out there in the sun, but an incredible collection of vintage cars from the 20s-40s. I wore an undated (I think it's modern) Linen suit, that was once dirty and grey. I cleaned it with some Oxyclean and it came out bone white. I then dyed it cream and tried my best to look like J.J. Gittes in the opening of Chinatown...

Twas a Grand time had by all...

Last edited:

TSP13

Familiar Face
_1020850_smaller_zps071b1cba.jpg

I've been trying to get a similar outfit together for a year now. You just gave me all the motivation I need. Is that a tab collar, and where did you find the shirt, or is it luxire?

Claudio

Vendor
Fatsuni - missed that bt, sorry

HBK - of course it is, sorry immediatly looked blue but see now that it is black. Maybe the small dots with small check is what is 'not right' but again, knitpicking.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Excuse the poor quality of this picture; it was taken on a phone. All 30s-40s, shirt by Luxire. Jacket is an NRA sportcoat; very simple, nice peaked lapels, but fits me better than any other jacket I own and is absolutely, positively mint condition, so I want to try to wear it more often. Just mixing some shades of blue with the black here.

I wore this to school today, by the way. To quote Toht from Indiana Jones: "You Americans, always dressing for the wrong occasion." (or, something like that.)

nrajacket.jpg

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Nice, simple look HS. I like the restraint in terms of pattern here. Makes for a pleasingly quiet combination. Are those trousers white or gray?

Last edited:

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Nice, simple look HS. I like the restraint in terms of pattern here. Makes for a pleasingly quiet combination. Are those trousers white or gray?

Thanks! The pants are actually a very light blue, with flecks in them that match the shade of the shirt. Almost impossible to see in that photo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn