Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I don't take on a vintage look so much as simply dress classically inspired as often as I can, practically speaking. I tend to use the aspects of the 1950s and the more conservative elements of the 1960s (probably more "James Bond" than "hippie," for example) as my "style role model" decades. Of course, all of my clothing is modern, with the exception of a vintage Stetson hat. What I wear on a daily basis includes on average the following; dress shirt, chinos, jeans, leather belt, leather shoes (dress and casual), sport coat, leather jacket, sometimes a hat (especially with the sport coat), occasionally a tie (without jeans). I don't wear suits, but it's more of a matter of me not finding the right suits yet.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering. :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. :)

Yeah, I thought that was the kind of answer you were looking for; what one wears in general. While I'm at it, I recently ordered a couple of polo shirts (navy and light blue), and olive-colored chinos from Land's End, so I'll have a little more variety for late-spring and the summer time.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Yeah, I thought that was the kind of answer you were looking for; what one wears in general. While I'm at it, I recently ordered a couple of polo shirts (navy and light blue), and olive-colored chinos from Land's End, so I'll have a little more variety for late-spring and the summer time.

So still dressed nice but not all fancy. :)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I disagree.

For those who manage to maintain the vintage aesthetic for everyday wear, whether it's going to the store or just going out to meet with friends, is something that they have to really dedicate themselves to.

Which is one of the reasons I really admire the rockabilly crowd. Those who look of it as a lifestyle, rather than a scene or trend, are completely submerged in it. And it's amazing.

From Art Deco houses to keeping their modern technologies down to a TV, computer and cell phone, they really live the lifestyle.

I'm not one to wear suits, as I don't have any. But the look that I have, is just my everyday look and my lifestyle. I have the same aesthetic day in and day out.

Otherwise you're just dressing up for the internet.

Where do we disagree? I think we mean pretty much the same. I just said that there is much room for (vintage or vintage inspired) workwear here in the FL. That's everydaywear, isn't it? And of course for "dressing classic" like the The Good, too. There is no "golden era only" rule for the "What are you wearing today??"-thread

So we don't need a new one.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Well, what I show in the "What are You Wearing Today" and "What Hat are You Wearing Today" is what I really wear, and much of it is "everyday" wear, what I wear to work, etc. Specially the "Hat" thread I would say, because I post there more often, so it is more representative of my range of outfits. The greater part of my wardrobe consists of vintage, retro, or classic styled items, so that's what you see, mostly.

Last edited:

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Where do we disagree? I think we mean pretty much the same. I just said that there is much room for (vintage or vintage inspired) workwear here in the FL. That's everydaywear, isn't it? And of course for "dressing classic" like the The Good, too. There is no "golden era only" rule for the "What are you wearing today??"-thread

So we don't need a new one.

I've never looked at the 'what are you wearing/hat are you wearing' threads,1) have you seen the size of them? Thousands of posts! 2)Why would I be interested in what someone I don't know is wearing TODAY? The idea of getting up in the morning and taking a picture of myself so others can comment or whatever it is that's done in those threads seems so odd to me,I don't know it just seems vain.
Now this thread appears to be potentially completely different,there seems to be room for and I could be wrong,but seems more aimed at a philosophy toward clothes. Now this I could be interested in.Of course I love clothes,the FL would be an odd forum for me to be a member of, if I didn't, but I've got to be honest,and it may well be because I'm English,but SOME of the posting pictures of yourselves in your new hat/jacket/suit/jumper/cardy/thong does make me cringe,and I could no more do it myself than fly to the moon.
On the other hand a discussion about what we wear on a day to day basis,whether we consider that vintage,if you dress in a particular non-conformist style all the time or whether you have occasions you get 'dressed up'. All of this for me seems a really interesting area to explore.For instance,when I was in my teens I went through several style transitions,all very non-conformist,but of course,as I'm talking late 70s onwards,in the UK,I didn't stand out as there was a lot of 'dressing up' going on at the time.During my early teens,starting at 13,I was a teddy boy,punk,mod,rude boy,new romantic at 16, I then got into slightly stranger self-developed styles,I went through one period when I only wore leather or hide,made myself a coat out of a goatskin rug, after that I went through a stage where I looked like deranged 18th C huntsman,with knee length riding boots,skin tight red trousers,a tail coat and a top hat decorated with beads,teeth and feathers. There were many other styles and transitions and if at any point during that period you had accused me of 'dressing up',I would have been most aggrieved.These were all lifestyle choices,as mentioned about the rockabillies earlier,and any idea that I would for any reason dress in any other way,regardless of reason would be seen as 'selling out'.(I remember going to my grandmothers funeral in a WW2,DB demob suit over my leather trousers and buckskin shirt,refusing to change out of my moccasins).
Now,obviously,in my mid/late 40s my attitudes are completely different,but I still have my 'little' idiosyncrasies,(someone wearing a 3 button suit with any more than the middle button done up on it,wearing cuff links with bars not chains,wearing a tie with a short sleeved shirt),and the 3,000,000 other clothes rules that have to be adhered to on pain of torture and exile by the fashion police.
Going back to the original point,I think there's plenty of room for a thread that looks a little more deeply into what you wear and why you wear it. To be honest I couldn't care less what you're wearing today,but your philosophy and attitude toward clothes and how that plays out in your wardrobe,now that sounds like a far more interesting proposition.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I wear a tie pretty much everyday; tie, sweater or sweater vest except on the hottest days. Not necessarily "dressing" up, but I have a bunch of ties and I like the aesthetic.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thankfully, the weather's been well above zero here today – my wife and I went to buy provisions and I just needed a chinstrap chambray workshirt and a melton wool work jacket, instead of the heavy-duty sweaters, Cowichans and suchlike that I've been keeping warm in... less bulky is good! However, I'm popping out tonite so I'll definitely add a thick wool sweater to the shirt and jacket...

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Well, I guess someone didn't think the 2 topics were different enough to warrant a new thread. Thank you The Good for your reply. it provided me with the answer I was looking for.

I know some people here dress "classic/vintage" every day. what I was looking for were the people that didn't. Those that would throw on a pair of jeans with a nice polo or button shirt and a hat and step out the door.

I have dressed "grunge" most of my life. was the people I hung around. now i want to dress more manly but not have to put on a suit and tie every day.

That is what I was looking for.

Thanks everyone.

P.S.

Here is some of what I have been wearing lately.
me2.jpg

rue

Gosh people are grumpy on here lately :eeek:

I hope no one minds me putting in my two cents. I don't want to be accused of taking over another thread :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway....
I can see what you're saying bumphrey hogart, but in defense of it, I have to say that I enjoy this thread quite a bit. In fact, it's the first thread I read all the way through, because it's chock full of ideas via pictures of FL members in vintage or vintage looking outfits. It's so hard to come up with an outfit when looking at a picture of someone 60 years ago (at least for me), but this makes it much easier. Although I wish the ladies would post more (hint hint). Personally I've posted pictures on here to see if I've gotten it right, whether casual or not and if I don't get comments than I figure I didn't, but if I do then I feel I've done it right.

Oh and I hope no one shows their thong :eeek: lol

In response to this....

We have many threads about us wearing our vintage clothing and such. but what to you all wear normally, just to go to work, or to the store, or to hang out with friends?

I can't imagine everyone dressing up in suits and ties or dresses and skirts ALL THE TIME.

No I don't wear vintage or skirts and dresses all the time. I wear jeans :)eeek:) most days unless I'm going out in public to an event. I would like to buy more house dresses and wear those out, but I'm still new at this and people are already acting like I've lost my mind around here, so I'm easing them and myself into it. I hope that answers your question from one girls perspective :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
We have many threads about us wearing our vintage clothing and such. but what to you all wear normally, just to go to work, or to the store, or to hang out with friends?

I can't imagine everyone dressing up in suits and ties or dresses and skirts ALL THE TIME.
I'm afraid I am one of those people who does wear a suit (or sport coat) and tie ALL THE TIME. Since June 12th last year I have worn a tie every day except for the odd day every few weeks when I have opted for a cravat. My wardrobe consists of suits or sport coats with the exception of one leather jacket and one vintage cotton bomber jacket, both of which I wear with a tie. I have one pair of jeans but I haven't worn them since November 2009. My clothes are not all vintage but they are all classically inspired - for example the suit I wore today was a '96 DB flannel suit which could pass for a '40s one.

So in my case, the few posts I make on this thread are representative of what I wear every day. I realise this may not apply to everyone who posts here and it didn't for me when I joined the FL. However, I always wanted to wear a suit every day but it was only within the last year that I became confident enough to do so.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I know some people here dress "classic/vintage" every day. what I was looking for were the people that didn't. Those that would throw on a pair of jeans with a nice polo or button shirt and a hat and step out the door.
Some people who post here do dress casual, but in keeping with their vintage style. Dinerman is a good example of this, as he sometimes wears suits and other times wears jeans.

In my case, casual is not something I ever wear out of a personal choice. To me, not wearing a shirt with cufflinks is casual.

zombi

A-List Customer
I really appreciate this thread -- I like to see how other people style things. Sometimes I get really good ideas for how I can style something by seeing how others are doing it. It's helpful to me and it's helpful to Mr Zombi, too! :)

I forgot to say! annet! I love the outfit you posted on the 5th -- the colour combo is really nice, and the coat looks great.

Last edited:

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
There was a time when I was known for washing the car while wearing a tie. Over the past few years I’ve gone tieless more often, but I haven’t been out in public without at least a collar (nor have I even owned a pair of jeans) since high school. :)

Today for running errands, I wore a blazer. Finished it off with a topcoat and newsboy cap, but didn’t snap a photo that turned out. I don’t believe I’ve ever worn a green tie out of the house before; I kind of liked it - which probably means it looks awful.

DSCF1445-Copy.jpg

rue

Why here? And your point would be what?

IMHO, you are laying a gigantic poop on this illustrious thread.

How do you really feel Tomasso? lol ;)

There was a time when I was known for washing the car while wearing a tie. Over the past few years I’ve gone tieless more often, but I haven’t been out in public without at least a collar (nor have I even owned a pair of jeans) since high school. :)

Today for running errands, I wore a blazer. Finished it off with a topcoat and newsboy cap, but didn’t snap a photo that turned out. I don’t believe I’ve ever worn a green tie out of the house before; I kind of liked it - which probably means it looks awful.

DSCF1445-Copy.jpg

I think you look fantastic and the green tie is great:D

Bugsy

One Too Many

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/BJMinnesota/DSCF1445-

Copy.jpg

It doesn't get more classic or classy than this!!
:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats