Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harringtons are great jackets for wearing about. I have a bunch, of varying labels and qualities, including navy, black, PoW check, sky blue, and bright red. Very flexible style for many periods - perhaps unsurprising, as Baracuta introduced the original G9 in 1937, and they've been popular ever since. Mine most often get used as an alternative to leather at this time of year (though the weather being what it has been in 2012, I've actually yet to stop wearing my leathers for the Summer). Yesterday I had a day off, and only dressed to go down to a friend's DJ night in Walthamstow. The gimmick is that she plays not her own records, but those brought along by punters. In the bag over my shoulder are LPs by the Sex Pistols, Link Wray, Chuck Berry, Frank Sinatra, Stiff Little Fingers and Marlene Dietrich. Music smells better on vinyl.
Great taste, Edward. Clothes and music. I agree on the Harrington but nowadays I rarely wear mine. Just for the occasional ska and northern soul allnighter ;-)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Not today, but recently.

SAM_2044.jpg

You sir, have a most resplendent moustache. I tip my hat to you! I only hope I may one day achieve such heights of moustachioed magnificence! I love that blue suit with the green and cream tie as well, fantastic.

Here is my outfit for today:

shawlvest.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. Ha, the only thing I would *never* do with mine is go hatless.... open to stereotyping that way.... ;-)

Do you wear a fedora with your Harrington jacket? I was thinking of wearing a light grey one with a navy blue jacket, it should look good. Also, are they generally OK to wear in the rain?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Kilts & Coffin Races

Recent photo from the Monterey Highland Games where the weather was wonderfully cool and overcast so a proper daywear outfit was just the ticket

555874_498423340173271_1955706291_n.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Great style you have there! I have been trying to get our British Motorcycle club, (not many Scottish motorcycles, I would take a Victoria if you have one,) to enter the Emma Crawford Coffin Races for several years. What does this have to do with Kilts? Triumph Tartan of course! Unfortunately, out club is not very adventures. Hay, if I'm willing to show my white knobby knees while wearing a Kilt and motorcycle boots!

Edward

Bartender
Great style you have there! I have been trying to get our British Motorcycle club, (not many Scottish motorcycles, I would take a Victoria if you have one,) to enter the Emma Crawford Coffin Races for several years. What does this have to do with Kilts? Triumph Tartan of course! Unfortunately, out club is not very adventures. Hay, if I'm willing to show my white knobby knees while wearing a Kilt and motorcycle boots!

Kilt presumably isn't the most practical garment on the back of a bike..... ;) There's a reason that it was in the equestrian ancient cultures that trousers were developed...

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Over the weekend my bridesmaids threw me a Bridal shower in a 1950s house wife theme, my maid of honor even tried to look vintage. So here we are
Me and my maid of honor
553768_989994046920_936336562_n.jpg

me and another one of my friends in vintage inspired approns
403800_990001971040_663728886_n.jpg

and me sitting on the floor but you can see my dress really well.
532644_990002185610_1593760697_n.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Do you wear a fedora with your Harrington jacket? I was thinking of wearing a light grey one with a navy blue jacket, it should look good. Also, are they generally OK to wear in the rain?

Good; I am certainly no model of fashion or style, but I wear a fedora with my fav Baracutta (British Tan) jacket frequently this past 9 months. I have had a Barcutta for 9 months and have worn it in all kinds of weather and it works like a charm. It comes thru the weather looking sharp and crisp! Rain is not a problem at all! Love the jacket and am looking for other colors. I picked up a Baracutta made NOT in England and promptly sold it. The quality difference was immediately noticable to me. I wear the jacket and fedoras, they do not wear me.

Colors of hats - here are some quick posts of pics I have shared on the forum before. I wear the British/tan with blue, dove gray, creme, silverbelly, brown, tan and bluesmoke. The jacket works well for me with any of the colors. Apologies in that the pics are centered on showcaing the hats.

IMG0146-M.jpg

IMG0813-L.jpg

IMG1006-M.jpg

IMG1126-L.jpg

IMG1458-L.jpg

IMG2322-M.jpg

Good, there are many well dressed folks on this forum who can answer from a vintage clothing point of view. I am a short balding guy who enjoys playing and working downtown in MPLS/St.Paul, while owning businesses in the sourounding suburbs and living in a more rural setting. The juxtaposition of the auto/horse/lakefront with the city/jazz club/work world gives my Baracutta a real test of fitting into the various situations. It works for me.

I hope other can provide their opinions also. The wealth of experience and first hand knowledge is impressive on the Fedora Lounge.

I hope my pics and opinion assist. Best in your pursuits sir. Eric -

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Kilt presumably isn't the most practical garment on the back of a bike..... ;) There's a reason that it was in the equestrian ancient cultures that trousers were developed...

They would only be worn during the parade and running of the race on foot! Our plan is to do the parade, then go up against a young team and lose first round, then retire for libations!

D

Deleted member 16736

"I wear the jacket and fedoras, they do not wear me." Very well-put. Barracuta looks sharp. I had my eye on that jacket myself. Nicely done, sir.

Edward

Bartender
Good; I am certainly no model of fashion or style, but I wear a fedora with my fav Baracutta (British Tan) jacket frequently this past 9 months. I have had a Barcutta for 9 months and have worn it in all kinds of weather and it works like a charm. It comes thru the weather looking sharp and crisp! Rain is not a problem at all! Love the jacket and am looking for other colors. I picked up a Baracutta made NOT in England and promptly sold it. The quality difference was immediately noticable to me. I wear the jacket and fedoras, they do not wear me.

IMG0146-M.jpg

I like this look. None of my Harringtons are Baracutas - never been able to justify the full price, though I maintain an eye out for one on sale. Through trial and error, I have zoned in on my favourites as being the Merc of London option, which come in at about half the price of Baracuta (though they're not raglan sleeves - doesn't bother me, but I know it's a sticking point for some). I love how they look with a pair of slacks, collar and tie, and a Fifties-style fedora with about a 2" brim. One of my favourite casual looks is just that, with a silver-grey fedora, sky blue Harrington, and navy trews. Always put me in mind of Sinatra (and that comparison has been made, unprompted by non-vintage colleagues before now, so I figure I must be onto something!).

They would only be worn during the parade and running of the race on foot! Our plan is to do the parade, then go up against a young team and lose first round, then retire for libations!

A plan worthy of competitors in the Chap Olympiad itself!

Edward

Bartender
Today's casual look - a quiet day in the office now that term is wound down - just the occasional dissertation student to see, the last of exam marking to address and then finally time to do some writing of my own.... Off to see Wanda Jackson this evening too. :)

IMG_20120719_095308.jpg
IMG_20120719_095332.jpg
IMG_20120719_095315.jpg

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Here is myself in a $30 eBay suit (jacket off, but it's the same one I'm wearing in my avatar), $1.00 thrift store tie and $3.00 shirt, in a scene from a short film we shot recently for an on-line contest. I play a detective interrogating a suspect. Trevor Russell, playing my very Karl Childers-like suspect, is wearing a less than $10 thrift store wardrobe (shirt, belt and slacks). Gotta love those thrift stores.
414383_10151827710680077_1505961331_o.jpg

464315_10151827703900077_933898846_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters