Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Miss Tuppence, while I don't subscribe to the 'accurately' vintage style, I'm always impressed by the 'time-warp' quality of your pictures. You are like a walking museum. That doesn't quite sound like a compliment does it...! :eusa_doh: but it is intended as such.

Well I've never been called a walking museum before, but I must say it certainly appeals:eek: ......I like it!

Thank you.

T.

Edward

Bartender
I was never much of a fan of the irvin jacket, but it suits you perfectly. I think (and this may be my propensity to over-think things) that this is partly down to the way you dressed it up with a tie, and partly the combination of textures and colours, brown sheepskin jacket/blue cardigan/neutral shirt and patterned tie. It's a pleasant contrast.

Same comment for Spitfire, the purple knit makes for a nice contrast against the brown jacket.

Thank-you, Sir. Oddly enough, I disliked Irvins very strongly indeed, loathed them in fact, for many years. It was really the FLounge that sold me on them. That, I think, and seeing accurate repros. The only ones I'd seen for a long tie before that had the matchstick arms and fluff so ridiculously over done that it made the wearer resemble a poodle, an animal for which I don't care to begin with, and certainly don't wish to resemble. lol

You beat me to it Metatron - really like your style Edward. All though I've never, ever worn a shirt and tie with my Irvin! (Maybe I should try it though?)

And thanks for the compliments, Metatron. :)

Go for it.... I wear it like that very often (and the B3, and the B15-C.... though less so the B15-C MOD; not sure why, but the knit collar always seemed just a touch more casual than the mouton to my eye, for some reason). It's a Winter thing: in a particular cold snap, I prefer one of the flight jackets and knitwear over a suit and long, wool overcoat. I wear a tie out casually very often, so there is that. It's also a way of making it work for the office. In warmer, Spring or early Autumn wear when it's too cold for a blazer but too warm for blazer and overcoat, I'll often opt for a leather jacket (one of my Aeros or an A2) over a collar and tie as well. The Irvin is, I suppose, a cold weather version of this. We've had quite a cold snap here in London this last couple of weeks, with more to come over the weekend. Could be well into March before I shed the heavy overcoat for the year (traditionally I've always managed to do so around St Patrick's Day - off with the overcoat, on with the co-respondents!).

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss Tuppence you look fantastic and your pictures are the absolute best vintage style I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot!) they look like something out of a Pathé reel!

Spitfire - thank you :)

Feraud

Bartender
tumblr_lzet30hUh11r7s6tdo1_500.jpg
I love the style Gene! Many people frown on the matching tie and kerchief but I eat 'em up.
I have a similar pattern sportcoat.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
SCORE!! yesterday my teenage ds and I were looking through the vintage garb that had been put in my walk in closet to see what might fit him these days, as he's grown so much in the last couple of years. We came across something I didn't even know we had;
a vintage grosgrain fabric no back shawl collar tuxedo vest. The neck area had been taken up, and it fits him. So it must have been gotten from a vintage dealer for him and we'd just forgotten about it.

With the alterations let out, I tried it on just for tricks- it fits me perfectly! A great vintage item to go with my vintage 30s grosgrain trimmed wool tuxedo pants I'd bought probably 25+ years ago. Have an event for Saturday night in SF this would be perfect for. I could go ala' Adele Astaire/Ginger Rogers. Now to find my collapsible silk opera hat... and my short white gloves...:) color me vintage happy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy