Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mountain Man said:
Just chiming in for personal interest - I was stationed in Berlin 1983-84, and lived at Andrews Kaserne - I think it was located in Lichterfelde - I remember going to an art deco looking nightclub in Kreuzberg back then but can't recall the name.

Lichterfelde is right. The buildings are still there. About that venue - if you have some more details about the part of Kreuzberg...there were so many interesting places way back when... :rolleyes: ;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I thrifted this little oddity today. I have a hunch it's quite old but not sure. Faded satin tag reads, "Specially Hand Made and Fashioned by Elizabeth Potter". There is also some type of trademark artwork in an oval within the lines of type. [huh]

No matter what, I love the look and fit - but I value your opinions here so shoot! :)

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

Button holes are horizontal and bottom button and hole are unusually low on shirt:
DSC_0051.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
I like the look, Gene. Is it soft on the skin? Or a little rough?

Thanks zetwal and bigbjorn! It is a little on the rough side but I wore it over a long sleeve base layer so it was very comfy. It's thick and warm. We're back in the 30s down here in Florida this week so it made sense to pick this one up!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Bowtie Friday

Today, much like every other Friday, was bowtie Friday. So, here is what I wore.

For the frigid wind:
Photo253.jpg

and for inside:
Photo256.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, I don't have a cord for my camera, so I have to use my computer's webcam.

anon`

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Wow!!! Please give us details! Where did you find this suit? Any date on the label? Who made it? What size is it? Is it brown or grey? (So many questions...)
Always questions, but such is the way of things, no?

This suit is a bit of an enigma to me, actually. It was an evilBay find from September or so of last year. The label lacks a date, and the suit lacks a union tag. In fact, the only useful label on the whole suit is the seller's:

DSCN4124.JPG

The tag inside the jacket pocket includes a lot number and size (39L), but nobody bothered to actually fill in the line marked "Date". Sadness. Trousers are flat front and have a button fly, however, so I'm inclined to claim that this is more likely an earlier, rather than later, specimen.

It's actually brown, but can appear grey in a lot of lighting, particularly under camera flash. Here's why:

DSCN4130.JPG

That's the lower right sleeves. Buttons included for scale, I guess. As you can see, the zig-zag pattern is made of dark brown-and-natural-white wool, with yellow stripes running between each pattern change. The dark brown threads are dark enough to look black at first glance in poor light, which I assume gives the grey effect.

Strictly speaking, I don't think this qualifies as a tweed? But it's certainly of a kin, being of very coarse yarn and thus thick fabric, and looser weave that we (or I, at least) associate with tweeds.

Maguire

Practically Family
Well i've been doing farmwork in ireland since january. I've been in the middle of nowhere for a month and mostly have been living in wellington boots. But i've been to Galway town and the Gort once or twice, and will be sticking around until May 2nd. I had 0 internet access for the time. It was a good experience, and i've got another month to go at a different farm (i bailed out of the last one because of insufficient food and a bit of mistreatment) I've only brought two suits with me, my grey DB and my black pinstripe. Here's what i've got from my travels at least:

before going out to Galway
DSCF2231.jpg

In Galway proper:
HanleyandCo_GalwayCity.jpg

On the farm:
DSCF2175.jpg

And actually doing work, some more work appropriate attire:
100_1293.jpg

You wouldn't expect me to shovel horse manure wearing a suit, although most of the old farmers around here do.the fellow we were working for was crass and not exactly that type, but he had a pocket watch that must have been 150 years old. I held that thing and my jaw nearly dropped when i saw it. The weight of it and the thickness of the pure gold chain..my lord.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
anon` said:
DSCN4130.JPG

Strictly speaking, I don't think this qualifies as a tweed? But it's certainly of a kin, being of very coarse yarn and thus thick fabric, and looser weave that we (or I, at least) associate with tweeds.

If Dashing Tweeds' tweeds are tweed, then I'd say this is tweed too.

sproily

Practically Family
Wore the hat (new boater from eBay) on the photo but not outside, it's sadly still not warm enough. I wore my newsboy instead.

boaterz12.jpg

and here's the outfit I used outside
muusta.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner