Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Smuterella

One Too Many
Two days in a row - same trousers, same hair set

1) early 40's homemade mustard blouse with jet buttons, Heyday trousers, vintage Mah Jong bracelet

2010_04080009.jpg

2) Topshop 30's-esque blouse, Heyday trousers, bakelite earrings

2010_04050007.jpg

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Smuterella said:
Two days in a row - same trousers, same hair set

1) early 40's homemade mustard blouse with jet buttons, Heyday trousers, vintage Mah Jong bracelet

2010_04080009.jpg

2) Topshop 30's-esque blouse, Heyday trousers, bakelite earrings

2010_04050007.jpg

Dear me! You are gorgeous Miss!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not 'vintage'...probably 'vintage-inspired'

Probably the only time I'd post something in here. But there's a first for everything.

Hardly vintage, but probably 'vintage inspired' would be a better choice of words. Anyhoo, I headed out the front door and into the world today, wearing the following:

dressed2.jpg

The hat is a simple, cheap grey trilby w/black hatband.

The shirt is a grey "GloWeave Classics" button-down shirt with convertable cuffs (can be used with either buttons or links).

The trousers are rather pedestrian dark-blue trousers.

The belt is just my simple brown leather belt with a brass buckle.

The waistcoat is my newest vintage-style purchase. Four-pocket, seven-button SB black wool waistcoat. This thing is so new that today was the first time I wore it out in public.

Yes, that is a watch-chain and yes, there is actually a watch on the end of it. Here's a photo showing the stuff that I had in my pockets. These ARE actually vintage:

wahlswatch.jpg

The top pen and the bottom pen are 1920s Wahl Art Deco gold-filled fountain pens. They're the pens you see peeking out of my breast-pocket.

The middle pen is my Wahl Art Deco vest-pocket pen (also from the 1920s). That's what you see hanging from my watch-chain.

The chain is my vintage Albert watch-chain. That's the chain you see trailing from my pocket.

The watch is my railroad-standard pocket-watch from 1957. That's what you (don't) see IN my pocket.

Oh, and that's my WALLET sticking out of the other breast-pocket.

Interesting thing happened at the shop where I work, today. A lady came in looking for a dress. She picked one out, went to try it on and she came out onto the shop floor and asked me and my friends whether we thought it was (quote) "1920s-ish?" (End quote).

I was the only one there with any idea what people in the 20s wore and it looked really flapperish; she even had a black headband on with a flower in it. The only thing missing was the long, dangly necklaces. We all said it looked great (I said it looked 20s & vintage) and we asked her what it was for.

She said she was going to jazz-age themed wedding in a few days.

Awwww!!! :eusa_clap

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!!

I showed it to my dad for the first time tonight. I thought he'd be upset (sometimes my vintage-love kinda gets on his nerves).

The first thing he said was:

"Why didn't you ask me if I had one before you went out and bought your own?"
"Well, you never WEAR waistcoats. It never occurred to me to ask you".
"I have one and your brother has one too. You should've asked!"

We went out for a walk and when we came home, he took the two waistcoats of the closet.

They're both black. Dad's a silk & suede one with those ugly, pop-together studs (two pockets, belted at the back).

My brother's (which he never wears anyway) is a 5-button two-pocket one made of wool.

They're both single-breasted.

I now have three waistcoats. One of my own and two from other members of the family who never wear them!!

*Clears throat*

If it pleaseth the forum, this is me wearing my brother's waistcoat:

brocoat.jpg

On second thought, it's not really black. I think I'd call it more of a midnight blue. It's wool with a navy blue/dark purple lining of silk. Five buttons and two pockets (with flaps, which are tucked in). What do you guys (and girls) think? I hope my brother doesn't like this waistcoat, because now, he's never getting it back.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
sproily said:
valet2.jpg

valet1.jpg

valet3.jpg

Jeevesish? I think it's the bowler..!

No I don't think it's that Jeevesish. More like a doctor!!

Flishthings, the bag he's carrying is a style called the 'Gladstone'. It was commonly carried by doctors to store their medical equipment in and ever since then, it's been associated with the medical profession.

But I think it's a great kind of bag for anyone to carry. Damn you, Sproily, now I want one...

brendon

Familiar Face
sproily said:
valet2.jpg

valet1.jpg

valet3.jpg

Jeevesish? I think it's the bowler..!
excellent picture sproilly i just recived a collection of the collar pins, one question when i wash my shirts after use will holes close or stay there its only i dont want to pin my shirts if the holes wont close.

sproily

Practically Family
brendon said:
excellent picture sproilly i just recived a collection of the collar pins, one question when i wash my shirts after use will holes close or stay there its only i dont want to pin my shirts if the holes wont close.

Stay.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
You must forgive my photographer, he does't a better job than my normal contributions!

Felt very Brigitte Bardot in white capri trousers and a navy/white stribed t-shirt, dancing bare feet, assembling a bookcase and drinking champagne out of a easter egg..

No pictures of my face since I was in a bit of an accident friday night :( I hope the action shots make up for it.

stribe3.jpg

stribe2.jpg

stribe1.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
Yesterday, at the fund-raising arts festival at my daughter's school. I'm holding a clock Tony won in an auction; one of the teachers has a serious hobby of refurbishing them. We didn't realize this one chimed until we got it home.
Despite my hat and parasol, I still got a yucky sunburn on my chest. :(

4490017527_667bd9f1a3_b.jpg

I LOVE your style! Great silhouette, I love the layering with the mesh fabric over the stockings, also wonderful shoes! You look really cool!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
It’s late, and the room is dark. He reclines in the old office chair, his stockinged feet propped on the edge of the couch and his head near the open window. It’s a cool night, with a breeze blowing in through the window cooling the back of his neck; the crown of his head is kept cozy by a dove grey Dobbs. The hat has a modified Cattleman’s crease, and the brim is bent up at a rakish angle on the sides and dips just low enough over his eyes that the smallest movement of his head conceals his gaze.

His bone and navy saddle shoes are off and tucked under the desk. His jacket hangs from the same hook on the wooden coat rack as his leather shoulder holster. His shirtsleeves are rolled back, with one of his grandfather’s old cuff links nestled in each of the French cuffs’ button holes. The collar of the white linen shirt is loose, as is the knot in his grey neck tie.

The suspenders holding up the trousers are plain grey box cloth, similar in shade to the tie but without the tie’s tonal diamond pattern. The waistcoat is still on, each of its four pockets now empty of the day’s trinkets. The suit had been purchased on the cheap months ago from a second hand shop, and it was only this week that he could afford the price to have it tailored. The pattern had caught his eye, a powder blue glen plaid, and it was just as well that he had been forced to wait until the week of Easter to wear something so ostentatious. A nip here, a tuck there, and the three-piece suit now looks as though it had been sewn expressly for him.

Had it actually been bespoke, the flap pockets of the suit jacket would have had an additional ticket pocket on the right side, but in his estimation the four pockets of the six-button vest almost makes up for the lack. The plain front and narrow legs of the trousers combined with the thin lapels of the single breasted jacket cuts a stylish silhouette, more of a youthful look than is typical for his suits, but he is grateful that at his age he can still carry it off.

The moon is not quite full, and he watches its thin beams slip between the wooden blinds and illuminate the droplets of condensation that are forming on the side of the lowball glass. He dips his finger into the tumbler and swirls the ice cubes in a lazy circle, and then he brings his fingertip to his lips to taste the sweet and bitter concoction of coffee and liqueur.

He reaches across the top of the old desk and lifts the lid of the humidor, his nose greeted by the mingled scents of tobacco and Spanish cedar. He moves the top layer of Macanudos to the side to expose the stogies below, smokes with pretty foil bands and names like Esplendido and Platinum Scepter. He draws out a single Nicaraguan offering with the misleadingly plain name Lot 23. He centers the punch and twists its sharp edge deep into the cigar, removing a core of tightly packed leaves. The heavy desktop lighter sparks to life, igniting the thin cedar stick that he holds over it. As he uses the stick to warm the length of the cigar his eye is caught by the slow circles of the ceiling fan.

He finally lights the cigar and draws a mouthful of fragrant smoke, holds it, and releases it in a thin stream directly upwards. The flavorful smoke is followed by a swallow of the White Russian, but first a toast:

“Here’s to us, friend,” he says to the ceiling fan. “Spinning in circles and going nowhere.”

As the cold drink paradoxically chills his throat and warms his belly, the blades of the fan continue doing the only thing that they know how. And so, no doubt, does the man.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Cosy indoor picnic tonight. Dress up for dress down food.

maipicnin.jpg

Homemade dress, roses in hair, lace over silk shoes disgarded on the floor. My dinner guest wore black trousers, black shirt, a fedora and a smile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR