Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I use this stuff and a regular disposable razor...works great!
blisterpack_trial_size.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
McPeppers said:
I actually switched from Gillette's Mach 3 to their Fusion Power.

I like the new blades on them...not somuch because it has four blades (not a huge change over the 3) but the precision single blade on the top really does work well at getting right under the nose or sideburns. As for shave gel I am using their Fusion Hydragel. I figured it was just a little promotional gimmick like last time but this new gel is phenominal. Still using AquaVelva's Cool Blue aftershave just for the tingle hehe.

Its not a straight razor but sofar its the closest shave i've ever had since my last straight razor shave

That's what The Mister uses. He got the Fusion with the battery so it vibrates ever-so-slightly when on. He's always hated shaving because he has thick whiskers that grow quickly. I gave him the new razor for Christmas, and it took nearly two months to convince him to use it. Ever since the first shave he's been a convert. Loves how quickly it cuts through his stubble. Gives a smooth shave, and the Hydragel is kind to his face. No more red bumpies or razor rash on his neck! Completely sold on it - doesn't use the electric razor at all anymore.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I personally can't stand shaving with an electric razor so I'm a wet shave man. I use a safety razor, badger bristle brush and Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shave soap (which is great stuff and comes in a nice traditional Indian round wooden box).

Works for me!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Safeway used to carry refill blades for my Gilette safety razor. Not anymore. Anyone know of a sure-fire common retail outlet that carries them? Sensor refills are ridiculously expensive(which is what I use when I'm not rushing out the door and use the electric).

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Shopko and Taget always have the Gillette brand safety razor blades. My local Bag-N-Save grocery also carries Wilkinson Sword.

Oh, and I use a Gillette DE safety razor. ;)

thaduke

New in Town
Merkur Progress

I've been using badger brush, with Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad soap... up to yesterday with a Schick Quattro, but as of today, my new Merkur Progress.

Wonderful! No cuts (I was very careful) and the blade is so much better. Where the cartridge razor used to 'tug', this just slices through. It also gave me almost no irritation, I think because I only needed the same number of passes, but with one blade (rather than 4 in the cartridge for each pass).

I'm also thinking about how much money I'll save ... the blades are practically free compared to those ridiculous cartridges!

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Tony in Tarzana said:
I may have mentioned this before, but I used to have very sensitive skin, but it seems to have gotten tougher after age 40 or so. Maybe it's one thing a fellow can look forward to as he gets older.

You're not the only one, Tony. Not only has my face become less sensitive, but my beard doesn't grow nearly as fast now that I've turned 50. If I get a really close shave one day, I can skip the next. When I was younger, I often had to shave twice a day if I wanted to look good in the evening.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Thanks for the pointer on the blades. If I can get a good number of them, I'll save the Sensor for travel.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Here is an ebay seller that always has stock of bulk DE safety razor blades.

(Bartenders, I think this doesn't break the rules against posting live auctions, since this seller offers the same, non-unique items all the time. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
Gillette Fusion & Neutrogena Men's Shave Products!

I use a Gillette Fusion razor with Neutrogena Men's Shave Gel. Before shaving I utilize Neutrogena Men's Razor Defense Face Scrub to soften my beard. After shaving, I use Neutrogena Men's Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion. I have very sensitive skin and a heavy beard. Ever since I have been using these products, I do not have any razor irritation and my once dry skin is now moisturized. My shave is now close and clean!

39411406_o.jpg
39411398_o.jpg

rockyj

One of the Regulars
THE STRAIGHT

YES I do. Badger brush, White shaving mug with shaving soap, straight blade and some Bayrum after shave.;)
Hey! vintage is vintage! OH YEAH. I also use the leather strap with the canvas backside to sharpen it

hargist

One of the Regulars
I think I'm a bit of an anomaly here in that I've never shaved with anything but an electric razor. My facial hair has always been light and an electric razor has always done the trick.

I used to never use any products on my face and never had any problems with burning, but recently I've been using Lectric Shave before I shave and it does make a big difference. It makes the whiskers stand up, thus allowing for a closer shave, and it allows the electric razor to glide over the skin smoothly.

It cracks me up that I'm 37 years old and have never used a blade, but like I said, I know I'm an anomaly.

Canadave

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I don't understand your question what are you refering to?

I have a DE Murker, and I just can't make it work. Is there some special angle in which to hold it? Any other non-electric razor works well for me, but I can't make the DE work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

PS No need to speak of preparation of the face...I've got that covered. It's the technical inablility to shave with the DE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner