Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats your FAVORITE MOVIE Score?

Klaus Doldinger -- U96
(from Das Boot)

[video=youtube;jSxBLRs7c-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSxBLRs7c-c&feature=related[/video]

Rita Cadillac -- Mon Gars
(My Guy)

[video=youtube;lfB9CaKdWAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfB9CaKdWAY&feature=related[/video]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Some really great film scores mentioned here so far. WNYC here in New York has a show on Saturday nights of all movie music, hosted by David Garland. He recently featured the score from "Laura", by David Raskin. Wonderful.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The Score or Theme Tune from the Western: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly! I am telling you..you cannot beat it!

http://youtu.be/1hYV-JSjpyU ;)

A coworker has the theme from "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" set on ringtone for his cell phone, but specific to phone calls from his wife. It never ceases to crack people up. We hear that iconic intro, then after a second or two, we know it's wife calling and everyone chuckles.

One of the movie scores I particularly like is the music Ennio Morricone did for "The Mission," especially "On Earth As It Is In Heaven" and "Gabriel's Oboe" They're symphonic, melodic and moody, with moving chorals in "On Earth."

WH1

Practically Family
Michael Mann's movies have great soundtracks and scores

Last of the Mohicans is grand
Thief with soundtrack by Tangerine Dream still a personal favorite

djd

Practically Family
There have been some really superior TV scores in recent years too. Bear McCrearys Battlestar Galactica music was first class and I really liked the soundtrack for Rome by jeff Beal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
im at work right now listening to Hans Zimmer and i just thought of the question?

whats your favorite movie score?

mine would have to be either The Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End or anything John williams

I've got tons of soundtracks, or pieces from one. Here are just some of the following:

The Godfather
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
Once Upon a Time in the West
Django
Le Samourai
Les Aventuriers
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Thunderball
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Lupin the 3rd
Cowboy Bebop
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

I do find myself going different things depending on my mood. If I feel like listening to something particularly adventurous, it's either Raiders, or one of my Western film tracks. If I'm after something more dark and dramatic, I would play something like The Godfather, or even my score for the video game Hitman 2. If I'm feeling upbeat, I listen to jazz from Cowboy Bebop, and for that 1970s jazz/funk sound, the Lupin the 3rd stuff; both from Japanese anime by the way, surprisingly good music from these. I have a random assortment of other tracks too, often not a part of a whole album, but bought single on iTunes.

These are just soundtracks. I've got lots of other albums too that aren't tied to any movie, show, or game. My absolute favorite score has got to be The Godfather.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Michael Mann's movies have great soundtracks and scores

Last of the Mohicans is grand
Thief with soundtrack by Tangerine Dream still a personal favorite

I was just about to post about this, because Michael Mann's Heat is my favorite film, and the score is a big part of that. The music starts strong from the opening scene and you know you're watching something big. A lot of different people involved in the scoring, and Mann worked with all of them to get what he wanted. Another great part, when things are ramping up to the big heist scene, is that the music starts to throb kind of like a heartbeat, it's incredible. The reprise and continuation of the opening music at the film's end is perfect. A lot of muted blue colors are used in the film and this describes the score also. The colors and music work together beautifully.

Tangerine Dream did an awesome soundtrack for Legend too, so I'll have to check out Thief. Someone also mentioned Das Boot - another top film and score, so I'll second that for anyone who might be interested. Definitely watch it in German with the subtitles though, to get the full atmosphere.

One more I think is worthy of note - The very distinctive score to There Will Be Blood by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood, in his first big score. It's perfect for the film, and it's a great film.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I was just about to post about this, because Michael Mann's Heat is my favorite film, and the score is a big part of that. The music starts strong from the opening scene and you know you're watching something big. A lot of different people involved in the scoring, and Mann worked with all of them to get what he wanted. Another great part, when things are ramping up to the big heist scene, is that the music starts to throb kind of like a heartbeat, it's incredible. The reprise and continuation of the opening music at the film's end is perfect. A lot of muted blue colors are used in the film and this describes the score also. The colors and music work together beautifully.

Tangerine Dream did an awesome soundtrack for Legend too, so I'll have to check out Thief. Someone also mentioned Das Boot - another top film and score, so I'll second that for anyone who might be interested. Definitely watch it in German with the subtitles though, to get the full atmosphere.

One more I think is worthy of note - The very distinctive score to There Will Be Blood by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood, in his first big score. It's perfect for the film, and it's a great film.

If you like Heat, you should find the original, L.A. Takedown.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Ennio Morricone:
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
For A Few Dollars More

Miklos Rozsa:
Ben-Hur

Jerry Goldsmith:
The 13th Warrior

Hans Zimmer:
Gladiator
Pirates Of The Caribbean

DoolittleRaider

Familiar Face
Thank you, my good sir ;)

yes, you are totally right, the music does make the movie, i was just telling my friend the other day that whenever i listen to movie scores i can play the movie in my head and its almost as if im feeling the character and what there going through.

thanks to everyone for your posts, i didnt now there was going to be so many! my iTunes library is now quite complete with movies scores that i had no clue about (Korngold):eusa_clap

fnoprx

Familiar Face
@ Nightwing: great to see Michael Mann getting credit for his use of music! Heat is probably his masterpiece - with Manhunter a close second. A truly underrated American director!

And regarding favourite soundtracks: Bernard Herrmann's scores for Psycho and North by Northwest are amazing. And I have always loved Brian May's scores for Mad Max 1 & 2 - very original stuff.

Haversack

One Too Many
Maurice Jarre for his ability to evoke a time and place with his music. (e.g. The Paris Waltz from Is Paris Burning?)

Also for his ability to subconsciously refer to older movies in the same genre. For example, in his score for The Man Who Would Be King, Jarre uses the Irish tune The Minstrel Boy in several places. It is also used for the hymn, The Son of Man Goes Forth to War, sung by Danny and Peachy at a critical moment.

The movie's main theme however, appears to be inspired by the Jacobite song, Will Ye No' Come Back Again?. The first two bars are nearly the same albeit with a slightly different rhythm. WYNCBA was the song sung by the Black Watch as they marched into the Thuggee ambush in the 1939 Gunga Din. Both films are 'Buddy Movies' set in the North-West Frontier and are based on works by Kipling. In fact, RK is a minor character in both films.

Mind, I also greatly enjoy Elmer Bernstein's scores. Slipping bits of Brahms' Academic Festival Overture into the score for Animal House was inspired.

Haversack.

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I have quite a few favorite scores.

I love Jerry Goldsmith when he is in "avant guard" mode.

One of my all time favorite scores is for The Satan Bug.

[video=youtube;mfthsRWuFKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfthsRWuFKs[/video]

And of course Planet of the Apes.

[video=youtube;fzhB4T6512E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzhB4T6512E[/video]

Miklós Rózsa's score for The Killers is awesome!

[video=youtube;gWWlHYgQn68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWWlHYgQn68[/video]

Henry Mancini's score for Experiment in Terror is one of the best suspense scores ever.

[video=youtube;6UJ0SSHlarc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJ0SSHlarc[/video]

Plus there is his music for 60's bedroom comedies.

[video=youtube;SVW8PF3AUcU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVW8PF3AUcU&feature=related[/video]

Then back to Mr. Goldsmith. Nothing says Neo Noir like the theme from Chinatown.

[video=youtube;BJ6b9kfI1Tw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6b9kfI1Tw[/video]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The Bad and the Beautiful. The theme song, "Love is for the Very Young," is played in variations to suit the mood of a scene. Composed by David Raksin... Sends shivers down my spine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran