Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did you first start wearing Make-up?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For me, it was 6th grade. Bonnie Bell lip gloss was all I was allowed until I got into high school!
When was it for the rest of you?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I started getting zits when I was in about 7th grade so I was allowed to wear cover up. I didn't start actually wearing makeup regularly until junior year of high school, probably.

Naama

Practically Family
I started using eye shadow when I was 15, rather late I guess.... It was a strange feeling. For me it was a big thing, but I think most people didn't even notice lol

Naama

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I was allowed to wear lipgloss and clear mascara when I was about 13. In high school, my mother tried to get me to wear brighter lipsticks because I was so pale (but only very natural makeup other then the lipstick); I didn't get into red lipstick 'til I was about 19 (and from then on, I was a red lipstick junkie ;) )

decodoll

Practically Family
I was allowed to start wearing make-up when I started Jr. High, so about 12/13. Back then it was all the rage to wear as many different eye shadow colours as you could manage at one time. My dad used to joke that we used a trowel to put it on. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I started with lipstick when I was about 13. That and a bit of powder was all my mother and grandmother ever wore, so that's all I used for quite a while. Then I got into the Drama Club when I was in high school, and figured I should learn how to do the rest of my face!

Funny thing I just now remembered -- in my 8th grade home-ec textbook there was a section on "Good Grooming," that suggested the only appropriate eye makeup for Junior High girls was a bit of Vaseline applied to the eyelids. Dutiful student that I was, I actually did this for a while!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I was allowed to wear whatever I wanted pretty much as long as I can remember. When I was in 3rd grade I made my own by mixing stuff -- red food coloring with toothpaste was lipstick (for the record, that color won't come off for *days*).
I wasn't allowed to wear makeup to school when I was in 7th and 8th grade because of school rules, so I rebelled by wearing clear mascara and neutral lipsticks and concealer. I wore eyeliner and red lipstick through high school and typically didn't wear any makeup during college.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Mascara and concealer or foundation from about 14, if you don't count raiding mum's make up from age 4, along with clomping about in her 50s high heels, and generally ruining her entire wardrobe with sticky little fingers. :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
At 12 I was allowed to wear what I thought was a very exciting amount of makeup; lip gloss or very pale pink lipstick, clear nail polish, clear mascara, and pale pink eyeshadow. It would take twenty minutes to put all that on and then you couldn't see any of it, so my Mom and I were both happy. lol

I also was allowed to put on a touch of perfume. I had lilac and my sister had rose, and both were so incredibly strong that two drops made a girl smell like a lit Yankee Candle.:eek: :D

Rosie

One Too Many
I was allowed to wear tinted lip gloss (very lightly tinted) when I was about 14, at about 16 I was allowed lipstick in nice, subdued "good girl" colors. I wore a smidge of makeup for my prom and other special occasions but just powder, lipstick. When I was 18, my cousin got married and I was in the wedding, I wore foundation, mascara, etc. and so from then on, I wore whatever I liked.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I wore the ubiquitous Bonne Belle Dr. Pepper lip gloss starting in 4th or 5th grade, but I didn't start wearing actual makeup until I was in 9th grade or so... probably 13 or 14? As someone else said, the fashion at the time (or so I thought) was to cake on as many colors as humanly possible, paired with electric blue or brilliant green mascara and giant permed "bar hair." So, for the majority of my high school years, I am certain that I looked like a streetwalker. lol

Raegan

New in Town
When did I start wearing it? I think I was about 12. When did I learn how to wear it properly? Not until I was about 17. I have a picture of my first day of school freshman year. Not pretty. I looked like a 2 dollar hooker.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that's one of the things I sort of regret, not being a real big 'girly girl'. I was big time tom boy..so I maybe had one friend that was a girl and the rest all boys...later come to find out how much you learn about all this hair and make up stuff from having 'girlfriends'. BIG thanks to MK! not that my make up was horrible...but, after him showing me how to put it on and what works best...there's a huge improvement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo