Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did you first start wearing Make-up?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I got to start wearing colored glosses/lipstick, blush, and mascara around 12 or 13. I was never one for much eyeshadow. Foundation/concealer came later, once my face started breaking out in earnest. lol

Long before that, of course, I had a huge palette of makeup that was strictly for play and not wearing out: eyeshadow in every color of the rainbow, little tubes of mascara, multiple shades of blush, bright lipsticks. I think I got it all out of my system early, so by the time I reached 13 I didn't even want to walk around with sparkly green eyeshadow! :)

Slytherin

New in Town
For me it was when i was 14 years old. It was really awful at the time !!!! Since i've learned and i can't go out without make up. I feel naked without.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I started wearing lipstick when I was 13 or 14 - I remember it was a very nude Elizabeth Arden (not sure where I got it from!). I wore some eyeshadow (browns - nothing too daring) from time to time but didn't really start to wear a full face of make-up until I was 18 or 19. I had at this time discovered the band Curve and fell in love with Toni Halliday's look - so I started wearing really dark eyeshadow and had my hair dyed jet black:

ToniCurve.gif

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I used to wear kinda... 'crazy' eyeliner when I was about twelve, just if I wanted to go to the park or something... to compliment my 'alternative' look. I'm sure it looked horrendous!

I didn't start wearing makeup properly until I was about fifteen though - it was allowed in my last year of school as long as it was subtle... which we all ignored!

xxx x

Lillemor

One Too Many
There were never any restrictions. I began to wear make-up regularly around 8-9, then nearly daily from 12 and full make-up at 14. I hadn't heard of foundation until then. Now I'm reversing and wearing less and less make-up and actually feeling more "attractive" (without feeling really attractive). I was 30 before I discovered the use of brow liners and mascara!lol I'll survive without my lipstick now but not without having my brows done and, lashes curled and 3-5 coats of mascara.

In high school I was married to one of those ordinary mechanical lash curlers. I'd spend every free five minutes with that thing clamped on one or the other set of lashes making sure they were bent at a "perfect" 45 degree angle. I didn't know better. I still saw no point in buying a mascara. Now I prefer a heated one for a nicer curve which I just can't get with the mechanical ones no matter how carefully I squeeze along each set of lashes.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Red orangish shade of vintage lipstick at 14.
Vintage because it belonged to my nan, by then i didnt realized about make up's expiring date ha,ha.
The black eyeliner and mascara followed soon afterwards.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I guess i was the early one...i started with the Dr. Pepper lipsmackers. But i think even before that when i was in the 4th grade i had this terrible silver lipstick that i wore to a school family dance or something like that. All my friends were jealous that i was allowed something other then chapstick. By the time i was allowed a full face of makeup (grade 7 i think) I was lucky to have my older and therefore wiser sister show me how to NOT look like a streetwalker...although i'm sure there were times when purple and blue eyeshadow ruled my look. It wasn't until high school that i started wearing normal stuff. Usually just some black liner and mascara with tinted moisterizer and concealer. I'm still a chapstick girl but recently spend an enormous amount on makeup at mac. As Inky said...the search for black liner and red lipstick is never ending and searching is half the fun.

Lillemor

One Too Many
although i'm sure there were times when purple and blue eyeshadow ruled my look

They don't now? What's wrong with blue and purple eyeshadow? What am I doing wrong?! :eek: Erh...I wear blue and purple eyeshadow regularly:eek: though it's difficult to see against my complexion. Considered buying some of that high pigment stuff. Am now in love with my new navy Chanel liner though it requires a bit of imagination to see that I'm wearing it too.:rolleyes:
But those colors are a no-no for ladies???

I wear greens, blues, purples, turquoises, pinks and in small amounts grey and black on my eyes because I don't know how to do the neutral brown toned eyeshadow look without looking like someone's punched me.:eek:fftopic:

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
I started wearing lipstick when I was 13 or 14 - I remember it was a very nude Elizabeth Arden (not sure where I got it from!). I wore some eyeshadow (browns - nothing too daring) from time to time but didn't really start to wear a full face of make-up until I was 18 or 19. I had at this time discovered the band Curve and fell in love with Toni Halliday's look - so I started wearing really dark eyeshadow and had my hair dyed jet black:

ToniCurve.gif

Oh my, you are drop dead gorgeous! :) Or is that Toni Halliday? Looks a lot like you in your avatar.

Elaina

One Too Many
lol I still wear purple eyeshadow, since it's one of the colors that make my eyes pop. There's a trick to doing it, which involves shading and neutral colors and not wearing it like Tammy Faye Baker.

I also wear a smoky eye. Nothing vintage about it, but it looks good on me.

LillieMor: A modern makeup counter can actually help you learn to wear browns, if you're so inclined. You may have to retro it out yourself, with eyeliner and pencils but they can teach you the technique.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lillemor said:
They don't now? What's wrong with blue and purple eyeshadow? What am I doing wrong?! :eek: Erh...I wear blue and purple eyeshadow regularly:eek: though it's difficult to see against my complexion. Considered buying some of that high pigment stuff. Am now in love with my new navy Chanel liner though it requires a bit of imagination to see that I'm wearing it too.:rolleyes:
But those colors are a no-no for ladies???

I wear greens, blues, purples, turquoises, pinks and in small amounts grey and black on my eyes because I don't know how to do the neutral brown toned eyeshadow look without looking like someone's punched me.:eek:fftopic:

Don't worry!! I'm really fair and i look kind of silly with blue and purple eyeshadow. (and i was talking about the stuff from the 90's where i would wear it up to my brow...) I have a navy shadow that i use as liner and i love it! That's just what I wear. Every lady is different and i'm sure you'd look great in anything! I stick to browns and coppers and golds because i have blue eyes (and still kinda suck at doing my eye makeup! :rolleyes: lol )

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
Oh my, you are drop dead gorgeous! :) Or is that Toni Halliday? Looks a lot like you in your avatar.

The photo in my post is Toni Halliday - I'm so flattered that you think I look like her in my avatar - that's a HUGE compliment - thank you so much Laura - I'm beaming here! :)

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Miss golightly, I thought that was you too!

I don't wear make-up. I wear make-up to weddings, and I wore it to prom, but I tend to just go natural. I'd really love to wear make-up, too, it looks so pretty when done correctly.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I know I had those little girl makeup kits when I was young, and got started on lip gloss at an early age. By the time I was 15 or so, I discovered black eyeliner and that was it! I didn't become a total makeup addict until I got a job a few years later; I remember buying a Chanel Glossimer with one of my first paychecks!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Lusti Weather said:
I know I had those little girl makeup kits when I was young, and got started on lip gloss at an early age. By the time I was 15 or so, I discovered black eyeliner and that was it! I didn't become a total makeup addict until I got a job a few years later; I remember buying a Chanel Glossimer with one of my first paychecks!

Here, here! I'll never give up black eyeliner. When I got my first paycheck at my first job at 14, I took it straight to the MAC counter. Don't remember if I bothered to deposit it first lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Erh...*cough!* Yeah, I was guilty of the dark matte browns from lash line to brows and of course the cheeks and lips matched.:eek:

Lucinda Q

New in Town
I started wearing make up when I was about 10. I started getting loads of spots around that time so i used to cover my face with concealer as I didn't understand the concept of foundation. lol
My mother very kindly intervened and took me to get some 'proper' make up at the Estee Lauder counter of all places!
But I'd say I started wearing a full face (foundation, mascara, etc.) when I was 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo