Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When did you first start wearing Make-up?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My mom bought my sister and I makeup (to play with!) when we were in elementary school, so we would keep our paws off of hers!

I actually wore makeup in junior high if I felt like it, but my friends were so shocked that I was allowed, that I stopped wearing it around them.

My mom said that it was better for me to be allowed and get the crazy stuff out of my system early, i.e. in elementary school. That way I didn't look like a new wave hooker in high school, well mostly.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Did anybody's mom...or relatives, sell Avon? My mother did for quite a few years...LOVED it! there was samples everywhere. She would also take me door to door and demonstrate the makeup on my face (I was 9 years old then) people got such a kick out of it, she did pretty well!:)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I was a huge Bonnie Bell fan when I was in Jr. High, all those Lipsmacker flavors...

As far as "real" makeup, I guess I was in high school probably about 15 or 16. Powder, lipgloss, eyeliner and mascara. Very badly applied of course!:eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
Did anybody's mom...or relatives, sell Avon?

No, but one of my grandmother's friends did, and my grandmother passed along to me everything that was pale, pink, or for fair-skinned people, since she was dark olive-toned and had no use for it but wanted to support her friend.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I think I started to at least use powder and mascara by age of 13. I never was not allowed to wear make up but that must have been cause my upbringing wasn´t too traditional. My Moms best friend was a punk and stuff while I would classify my Mom a rocker-girl with leather jacket and stuff ;)

I remember how much I loved grandmas make up table when I was a little one. I smeared the lipstick all over me lol

Novella

Practically Family
I'm with everyone on the Bonne Bell Lipsmackers! I loved those things and wore them since early grade school years. As far as makeup goes though, I didn't really wear any until high school, and even then I didn't wear very much - mostly just pale colors of eyeshadow and colored lipglosses. My Mom has never been a big makeup person, and I think that very little makeup asthetic passed on to me. After high school I started wearing more makeup though, especially as I learned to apply it correctly!

I was never really allowed to wear makeup either until I was about 13 I was able to wear a little pale lipstick. Nailpolish however was something I always loved, especially red, but my mom preferred pink. I remember my Grandmother doing my nails when I was three. Eventually I added powder when I was a freshman in HS. I was wearing blush, mascara, and eyeshadow by the time I was a senior. I didn't discover eye liner until much later.

I always wanted the flavored lip glosses when I was in elementary school but I wasn't allowed to have them either. :(
I guess that's why I still adore liquid roll-on strawberry lip gloss ! YUM :D

dollfaced

Familiar Face
makeup

I remember loving to watch old movies as a little girl admiring the beautiful woman then i became obsessed with Vogue magazine because of the retro styles and the girls always looked retro and beautifully done up like the 30's and 40's.By age thirteen i wanted to where makeup but my mom was strict and wouldn't let me i was only alowed to have a cover girl compact.I saved my lunch money and i would buy cheep Wet N Wild lipsticks in red or hot pinks and hide in the bathroom and practice how to put on lipstick and my thirteen i was not without makeup ever :p .

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
I remember wanting to wear makeup so badly as a kid. Let's see, I was allowed mascara at 12, eyeliner at 13, lipstick at 14 and full face at 15. Of course at 15 I did my first stage play and wore full pancake makeup and my face felt so heavy, I wore nothing but lip balm (Bonnie Bell) for 6 months!! lol

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I guess my mother was very strict because I wasn't allowed to use make up until I was 16.

The day I turned 16, my mother took me to the local drugstore to buy a tube of Revlon "A La Mauve" and some blush.

And so began my love affair with lipstick!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
During Junior High...I wanted to in elementary but mom wouldn't let me. "I'd always say, "But Kim Green is wearing makeup." She was like, "I don't care who Kim Green is but you're too young to wear makeup."

Then when I did start wearing make up wearing makeup in the 1980s, various colored eyeshadows (blue, green, hot pink) were all the rage. I remember putting some dark gray/almost black eyeshadow on before going to church to with my dad and he his eyes popped out and told me that I looked like a prostitute and that I was not going to church with my makeup like it was. Of course, I knew better than him back then and fully disagreed with his opinion. I thought I looked good. I wish I could travel back to that moment just to laugh. I don't remember if he finally relented or if I actually had to take it off, knowing him it was probably the latter.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I was in 10th grade when I first started wearing makeup. I loved using an eyelash curler!! Powder, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara. No lipstick. I still can't find a lipstick color that looks good with my skin.

Katydid

One of the Regulars
low maintenance....or just lazy?

I can remember playing with makeup when I was in middle school or something but I never wore it till I was practically in high school. From then on I wore it on special occasions like the Glee Club concerts because we dressed formally for them or weddings or something. Every day makeup for me was just not in the cards. I don't think it helped that my mom has not worn makeup for as long as I've known her. Even if it does only take me 10 minutes, I have just never felt it's a priority. [huh]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
(Reviving an old thread here...)

I started with black mascara when I was 11, then I started putting eyeliner on the bottom lid when I was 12; I started eyeshadow and cultivated my trademark cat-eyeliner when I was 14, got into concealer and blush when I was 15, and started wearing false eyelashes and dark lipstick when I was 17.

It seems kind of scary, all this makeup before 18, but I used to want to be a makeup artist or fashion designer - even a model! But my first job at a hair salon changed my mind for good....

Elaina

One Too Many
I was allowed lipstick om 6th grade, of any color. I was supposed to gradually add more (Mascara 7th, shadow 8th, blush 9th etc.) with all the makeup by my Sr. year.

My dad broke his back when I started wearing lipstick and for 2 years I didn't bother. (I know I mention this a lot, but it shaped me apparently in some way I'm only beginning to realize.) I worked on a farm, went to school and worried, and makeup was the least of it. When we moved to a suburb south of Dallas (I live in the country of Waco before then) my dad bought me whatever I wanted. My mom, although around was a full time student for nursing and worked full time. From the time I wad 10-17 no one really cared what I did as long as I didn't get pregnant.

So from 8th grade I wore very light makeup. When I hit 16 I got tired of it (mascara, gloss, cover, powder) went to the mall and got a guy to teach me how to do it, since I wanted a sort of modified 50s look, which I've worn since.

Never been real into red lipsticks, but I do way heavy eye makeup.

December

One of the Regulars
I didn't start wearing make up every day until I was 17! I just didn't feel the need for it before then.

It was during my emo/goth/punk years so I would wear heavy black eyeliner and red eyeshadow. Nothing else.

Then I started wearing "real" make up (including foundation etc) when I was 18.

So I was a very late bloomer.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Elaina- I didn't know about that before. I'm very sorry that happened to your dad. If it was a significant time in your life, though, I think its worth mentioning a lot.

I was a scenester/punk rock goddess too. I was stuck with a uniform in high school, so makeup and hair were the way to go.

punky.jpg

Every morning I would get up and spend 40 minutes teasing and spraying my hair, applying 15 different eyeshadows, and crazy black eyeliner. That's why I'm used to people staring at me in vintage - I was stared at everywhere I went as a youth :cool:

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Nail polish was always allowed. I remember my mom painting my nails when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

I started wearing eye shadow and mascara in junior high, 7th or 8th grade. By 10th grade I was wearing WAAAY too much black eyeliner. By senior year I had dialed back on the eyeliner, when I got to college I think I just did eyeshadow and mascara most days.

Lipstick was for special occasions only, like proms and weddings. My mom didn't really wear lipstick and my grandmother's lipsticks all looked nasty on me, so I didn't think about it much. I didn't start wearing lipstick every day until I was about 28. Now I won't leave the house without it!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I started wearing it in 5th grade, eyeshadow and light lipstick, but didn't wear much, then 7-8 it was Eyeshadow and Mascara (always light/neutral ) and Then freshman up its been the whole kit and kaboodle. Although this year Ive started red lippy and my mother DESPISES it. :rolleyes:

Inky

One Too Many
when i was about age 7 to age 13 or so my mother worked a cosmetics counter at a department store in Washington, D.C.

I thought EVERYONE had that much make-up at home! there were so many testers and things and I was always allowed to play with it, though no make up or polish was allowed at school (catholic).

I started wearing make-up regularly when I turned about 17 or so and have never looked back. I still think EVERYONE should have lots of it - I made my monthly pilgrimage to the Church of Sephora today. Only came away with Urban Decay's new Ink for Eyes liner in black. Because the search for the perfect red lipstick and perfect black eyeliner will never end - searching is half the fun and the other half is playing with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo