Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where there's tea, there's hope"

JohnRutherford

New in Town
Being from the south, until I was about 9 I had no idea that people consumed tea hot. I was raised on coffee, but when I turned nine, a friend of my mothers came back from across the pond and introduced me to tea. Currently I'm a fan of Twinning's Earl Grey and English Breakfast. I also have a soft-spot for Bigelow Earl Grey. Sugar and lemon for breakfast, sugar and milk anytime after 10:00 AM.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Fantastic photos, HH.

Since I left the UK 20 years ago, I've been converted to coffee - of which I drink way too much and am personally keeping Dunkin Donuts in business. I think it is time I rediscovered tea.

I'll be trying out some tea ideas from Simpson and Vail - thanks for that link, Dan!

I've been here 30 years now DJH, our local supermarket stocks PG Tips (in bags:eusa_doh:) but it's still the best 'bang' for the 'buck'

MP

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Stumbled across these today. I adore Stephen Fry. :love:
[video=youtube_share;MYqpKpSh69s]http://youtu.be/MYqpKpSh69s[/video]
[video=youtube_share;VyQa0kIWBQ0]http://youtu.be/VyQa0kIWBQ0[/video]
[video=youtube_share;hVyuZmOi6Y0]http://youtu.be/hVyuZmOi6Y0[/video]

Last edited:

olive bleu

One Too Many
As i stated in an earlier post, i mainly drink Red Rose, however, I also love the flavour of Earl Grey. But my problem is I can never seem to get it strong enough.I usually buy Twinings. It doesn't matter how long I let it steep, I can leave it untill it is barely lukewarm, and it still tastes weak to me.Can anyone recommend an EG tea that has a bit more oomph?

stevew443

One of the Regulars
My favorite is a strong pot of China Black (Yunnan) brewed in my ancient Brown Betty and decanted into one of my ceramic pots, kept warm over a warmer. I am not supposed to have caffeine, but I do allow myself at least one pot of tea a week. I just love the entire ritual of brewing tea.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
As i stated in an earlier post, i mainly drink Red Rose, however, I also love the flavour of Earl Grey. But my problem is I can never seem to get it strong enough.I usually buy Twinings. It doesn't matter how long I let it steep, I can leave it untill it is barely lukewarm, and it still tastes weak to me.Can anyone recommend an EG tea that has a bit more oomph?

I get my teas online, and this company has been very good to me. Although I do not drink Earl Grey teas, I have ordered some for friends who do drink it and they seem to like what I sent to them quite well... http://www.svtea.com/products.asp?dept=13

Hoofer

New in Town
Oh boy, what a thread!

Most of the time, I drink Earl Grey (or any other tea with bergamot), because bergamot for me, is like valerian for cats :)
When if i can get real, i drink Gyokuro tea.

Warden

One Too Many
Love the brown stuff, but it once cost me a job.

Went for a series of interviews for a job at the House of Lords in the UK.

Interview was at 11am and the panel spent 45 minutes debating what tea we should drink, in the end they asked me & I said Typhoo will do me. Did not get the job :-(

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Currently, I'm sipping nettle-tea (home-grown!)
([size=-2]not the sweetest of teas, let me tell you[/size])

According to Wikipedia:
Various types of Nettle have been studied for their effects on prostate hypertrophy, diabetes mellitus, rheumatic disease, hypertension, gastrointestinal symptoms, osteoarthritis, diarrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammation, pain, constipation, gastrointestinal disease, headache, nausea, common cold, arthritis, asthma, bleeding, respiratory tract disease, allergic rhinitis, kidney disease, prostate cancer, skin disease and urinary tract disease.
In terms of allergies, nettle contains properties of an antihistamine to be used for treating reactions associated with the respiratory system.
Nettles can also be used to make a tisane known as "nettle tea".

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As soon as I find the way how to lure my friends (I've succeeded twice so far!), I'm having another tea-party.
For some reason, my friends think a "tea party" is just an excuse to make the regular party.. and they get shocked when they are greeted with teacups and biscuits. [size=-2]I have NO idea why; the invites clearly state: TEA party[/size] [huh]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I drink tea like it's going out of fashion (family were and are all big tea drinkers - grandparents were British so not surprising I suppose) and I've finally found the closest to the Holy Grail of the perfect cup of tea. It's a single origin Assam from the Dimakusi estate in the Assam hills overlooking Bhutan.

I must have tried a boatload of teas over the years and this is truly the best. If you see it or can hunt some down pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Ah, this is a marvelous thread! :) Green tea with mint, in excessive amounts, please. Everything in moderation...except tea. ;)

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
A new BBC series Victoria Wood's Nice Cup of Tea starts on Wednesday 10 April, 9:00pm BBC1 for those in the UK... and those that get BBC programs elsewhere.... exploring Britain's love affair with tea.

I like VW [and tea :D] so this promises to be a great watch.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013...-tea-and-mad-men---3-shows-to-watch-this-week

I drink at least ten cups of tea a day, and cannot move in the morning, until I have two or three cups inside me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21