Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where's the globe trotting hat now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see where Chad Sanborn (in Asheville, NC) is next, and will give the hat to me (in Morganton, NC) and I will then give it to Snrbfshn (in Charlotte, NC). Since Morganton is almost equidistant from Asheville and Charlotte, if Chad and Snrbfshn would like to meet up with me here, we could make the hand off in person.

I work at Broughton Hospital, a state mental hospital built in 1875, so this would make a great back drop for pictures. also, it would be a good opportunity to meet some of the FL folks in person. Of course having some of "out kind" together at a mental hospital may only invite trouble :) But, never fear, I have keys ;)

And, as an incentive, I'll be willing to spring for dinner/lunch/drinks or whatever. You can't beat an offer like that.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Great plan, Big Man...

Why don't you PM them and see if you can set it up. The more of these handoffs that can be done in person, the faster the hat will travel! Let me know what you guys decide, since I am the keeper of the mailing labels.

Big Man

Zemke Fan said:
Why don't you PM them and see if you can set it up. The more of these handoffs that can be done in person, the faster the hat will travel! Let me know what you guys decide, since I am the keeper of the mailing labels.

Already sent a PM to each. I'll let you know what I hear.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Chad Sanborn has the hat...

Now in North Carolina... Hope you tarheels can do some person-to-person handoffs within the tight timeframe we're trying to stay on! That was the original intent and since ya'll live close, it should work. Keep us posted!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Any plans for an overseas leg?

The globe is a pretty big place, I know but I was wondering if there were plans for international travel? There's a variety of nationalities on FL (and a variety of hat sizes) :)

Just a thought

Big Man

The traveling hat spends time in a state psych hospital ...

The "traveling hat" has made its way from Asheville, NC to Morganton, NC. Yesterday afternoon, Chad Sanborn visited me at my office at Broughton Hospital (or, as it was called during the 1930's and 40's, "the State Hospital at Morganton") to make the hand-off. We exchanged the hat, then took a short tour of the hospital. Following the tour of the hospital, Chad and his girlfriend joined my wife and me for drinks at one of our local establishments. We had a grand time getting to know each other. I would recommend a face-to-face hand-off whenever possible, as it is very rewarding to actually meet a fellow Fedora Lounge member.

The hat is scheduled to go to Snrbfshn in Charlotte, NC next. I have been in contact with Snrbfshn, and plan on a face-to-face hand-off with him within the next week.

DSC01921.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

Big Man

Well, the hat has left Western NC and made its way to the Piedmont. My wife, Anne, and I met up with Snrbfshn yesterday for dinner. Like I said before, it is really great to meet folks face-to-face. You'd have to look hard to a nicer, more "hat knowledgable" guy that Snrbfshn.

I'm sure he'll post an update here and some pictures, so I won't take up his space. I did, however, want to tell everyone that the hat was again on the move.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
You boys in NC...

Deserve a BIG round of applause! Thanks for not only keeping this moving, but doing your handoffs in person. That was the original idea, and whenever practical, it still is a nice thing to do...

Here are the next steps on the journey:

1. NC > SC - Snrbfshn > Lancealot
  2. SC > SC - Lancealot > Zohar
  3. SC > FL - Zohar > phre7
  4. FL > AL - phre7 > spiridon
  5. AL > AR - spiridon > RBH
  6. AR > TX - RBH > Baggers
  7. TX > TX - Baggers > J.M. Stovall
  8. TX > TX - J.M. Stovall > Dave Keith
  9. TX > OK - Dave Keith > Flyboy
  10. OK > IL - Flyboy > Johhnysan
  11. IL > IL - Johhnysan > Hannigan Riley
  12. IL > IL - Hannigan Riley > Jake Sullivan

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Snrbfshn said:
After the most convivial breaking of bread with Big Man and his wife, Anne, the hat and journal rest in my hands. I'll post pix shortly. From here it goes to Lancealot of Greer, SC. We are to meet halfway 'tween here and there, likely next weekend.

Did you guys get together?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Sorry for the long delay, here's an update...

The hat hit the mail today, and I apologize to all Lounge members that it has taken so long. When I got the hat from Big Man, everything was going as planned. Shortly after, I began setting up with the next link, Lancealot of Greer, S.C., for the handoff. Long story short is multiple halfway-between meetings were cancelled or postponed by both of us because of work, family and emergency reasons.

Then our family suffered a house fire, and in the temporary relocation, PODS-stuffing, cleanup and reconstruction, I feared the Traveling Hat and companion journal were lost, misplaced – or worse. I didn’t post the bad news on the Lounge in hopes it would turn up. Well, in unpacking the PODS yesterday the box was located. Apparently it was put there by a well-intended neighbor who had no idea what it was. I’m glad to report it’s now on its way.

I’m sorry the hat got stuck here. I apologize again to all who have been waiting, and I'd like to do something for those after me. I’ve added to the shipping box 10 hat cleaning kits which include a rough sponge and a double-grit sanding pad. If you can use one, it’s yours.

Here's my wish that the rest of the hat's journey is smoother than its Charlotte stop.

Big Man

Sorry to hear of your recent misfortune, although I'm glad all is well and (I assume) no one was hurt in the fire. Having been a Firefighter for the past 27 years, I understand what is involved with the situation.

But, look on the bright side. This story will only add to the interesting things the traveling hat has "experienced" in its journey.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Sorry for your misfortune...

Snrbfshn said:
...Then our family suffered a house fire, and in the temporary relocation, PODS-stuffing, cleanup and reconstruction, I feared the Traveling Hat and companion journal were lost, misplaced – or worse. I didn’t post the bad news on the Lounge in hopes it would turn up. Well, in unpacking the PODS yesterday the box was located. Apparently it was put there by a well-intended neighbor who had no idea what it was. I’m glad to report it’s now on its way.

I pray no one was injured in the fire and your most valuable posessions were spared. As Big Man said the hat has had quite an experience, I do hope that it is in the travel log. And a hearty thanks to your neighbor, the hat could just as easily been part of a landfill by now.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Thanks for the thoughts...

And I should have been clear no one was hurt, with damage limited to replaceable stuff. So mostly a big inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner