Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which one is the best A-2 repro manufacturer? Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Re

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of buying an A-2 repro jacket and I want to know which one is the BEST repro manufacturer between (Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Real Mccoy, Good Wear) (in Goatskin or horsehide) and WHY? I hope you can help me.

Thanks

Jorge

I'm thinking of buying an A-2 repro jacket and I want to know which one is the BEST repro manufacturer between (Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Aero Leather, Real Mccoy, Good Wear) (in Goatskin or horsehide) and WHY? I hope you can help me.

Thanks

Jorge

There is no "best" IMHO. All of those listed are excellent. Can't go wrong. It all depends on what you want, how much money you have, and time.
Look at as many pics here as you can find.
Are you talking best repro as in the closest in details to match the originals?
Best quality leather?
BTW, the skin you choose is personal taste. Goat and Horse are both period-correct...both have pluses and minuses...

Last edited:
La creme de la creme? Don't have experience with all the makers you mention, but from what I do, I'd say......
GoodWear.
Leather quality, design detail, custom fit, large number of contract options. One problem...GoodWear is not currently taking any new orders.
I'd also consider Aero. Not sure how spot on accurate their A2 designs are, but the quality and fit are there.
Eastman does not do custom fitting...other than to the length of the sleeves and hem....at which point the jacket is non-returnable.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Eastman are a notch more accurate than Aero, though their prices are a nudge higher. Buying new, if based in the US, ELC are going to cost you close to Goodwear. John's jackets are the very most accurate of them all, though they are expensive... it's all relative. If you're looking for a good jacket at a reasonable price, you can't go far wrong with a used ELC or Aero. Going rate on eBay is about half the new price.

As to hide, both goat and horse, as noted above, are "correct". Horse was the original spec as of the A2 being adopted, which is why some prefer it. Worth noting, though, that of the surviving originals, I'm told (Andrew ASWatland is an authority on this), the goat examples have survived better. With a new repro, the horse jackets will tend to show more break in wear, while goat will tend to maintain a "new" look longer.

There's a repro A2 for all budgets and tastes. Be warned, though, as I was once warned in these parts: you may not want to stop at one....

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Thanks both of you Jeff and Edward, yes I'm looking for A-2 on ebay, because from I can't afford to buy a new one right from the store... but I think patience is the key. What about Buzz Rickson and Real Maccoy... Any comments about them?

Thanks both of you Jeff and Edward, yes I'm looking for A-2 on ebay, because from I can't afford to buy a new one right from the store... but I think patience is the key. What about Buzz Rickson and Real Maccoy... Any comments about them?

Well, if you can't afford an Aero, forget those. At least the McCoy.
Sounds to me like you should figure out your budget and go from there. That will likely eliminate some options.

Well, if you can't afford an Aero, forget those. ...

And GoodWear.
And Eastman.
And, from what I recall, Buzz Rickson. (I seem to recall Rickson's prices being outragous. You could buy a GoodWear and almost have enough left over for an Aero if memory serves..and even then, you are buying off the rack rather than custom fit like the GW and Aero!)

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The Japanese manufacturers Buzz Rickson, Toy Mccoys and Real Mccoys Japan are very very good manufacturers, but whether their jackets are faithful to the original contracts is really up to anyone's imagination. If you are slim built person, these Japanese jackets have a relatively slimmer cut than the Western equivalents.

Real Mccoy's New Zealand and the Few NZ are also two top notch manufacturers, but prices are also steep.

If you really want a 100% repro of the original WW2 jacket, ELC and Goodwear are probably the best you can get.

Aero is kind of an old one out, I like their custom made jackets, their leathers and knits are of very good quality. I am interested in getting their Bronco A-2 as well. If you are on a budget, they can my thumbs up.

Also, there is new comer Bill Kelso, their Roughwear repro looks pretty good to me, except that you can only get repro zippers rather than NOS Talon. But anyway, Eastman also use quite lot of Crown repro zippers in their jacket as well, since they have bought the Crown's brand anyway. Bill Kelso right now represents the best value for money.

What's odd to me is that Aero are the only ones as listed above that can/will make me a jacket in my size - including Military items such as the A2. If they can get patterns and hides to do this, why can't others? I know it's not simple, but with the money one costs, I'd think others would offer it up. Oh well, more biz for the folks in Scotland!

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for the advices :) .... yes, I have just seen this new brand Bill Kelso MFG.Co. Does anyone know more about their quality and accuracy in details?

3onaMatch

One of the Regulars
Though it sounds like Buzz Rickson's may be outside your price range, I thought I'd contribute my 2 cents in favor of the brand. I recently bought one and am very pleased with it. Leather is spectacular and the fit is perfect, IMO. In terms of authenticity, they do take some liberties with the fit, making it a touch more trim and modern looking but not so much that it substantially detracts from the overall historicity of the jacket. Here's a link to a post where I discuss a BR in detail:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?57846-Buzz-Rickson-s-A-2-repro.-of-the-Aero-21996

Good luck on your hunt!

What's odd to me is that Aero are the only ones as listed above that can/will make me a jacket in my size - including Military items such as the A2. If they can get patterns and hides to do this, why can't others? I know it's not simple, but with the money one costs, I'd think others would offer it up. Oh well, more biz for the folks in Scotland!

Goodwear also works off customer measurements...though he does have a set range of sizes ....generally sizes 36-48 I believe.

Why don't the others?
I suspect it takes a fair amount of effort/resources to offer custom fit jackets, and the other companies business models aren't designed to offer that.
Put it another way...these other companies find they are making a satisfactory profit with their "off the rack" sizes, and see no reason to get into the headaches that come with "custom fit" designs.

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
I have owned all the makers, not every contract but all the makers. Its Good Wear for sure AND I don't think it will be too long before John begins taking orders again. If you can find an good deal on eBay in your size then there is nothing wrong with an ELC or Aero. My advice, save your pennies and get a GW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner