Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are Buco jackets so collectible?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Out of curisoty, why do you guys think Buco jackets in particular are so revered compared to the other jackets of the time? Is there a particular reason?

I think they look great and just look like very well engineered, solid jackets. Perhaps more than any other mc jackets. Is this why are the prices so high on them?? Can anyone who has handled one give some insight?

I read someplace that it was mainly because of Rin Tanaka's book, A Century of Leather Design - or rather, mr. Tanaka's opinion on the J-twentysomething being the 'coolest motorcycle jacket ever made' - which first triggered the Japanese collectors who began piling up on these jackets, and it was a chain reaction from thereon in. Other than that, I don't think there's an actual reason why Buco jackets reach such insanely high prices you so often see them going for on the Bay; Schott, Fidelity, Sears, Excelled, etc. all produced equally good jackets - for the most part, at least. All Buco jackets were mass produced, in any case, probably inferior in construction quality to any modern day reproduction. I know HD has handled a number of 'em.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well answered. I've always preferred the Brooks cafe racer myself. Similar in front, more interesting action back to my taste. Same designer.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it's just down to the scarcity of them. At any given time there are multitudes of Brooks on eBay and MAYBE 1 or 2 Bucos for sale, if that.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've had the same thought. Maybe if I handled one I would know. A lot of makers had their models out in the 50s. Didn't Buco make some jackets for other labels? Who? Which ones? Does anyone know? I have/had MC jackets by other makers and fit is the big issue for me. I got a Taubers HH leather shirt today that is killer. I would like to try on a Buco, but they aren't laying around here. I would guess they are pretty impressive in person, on your back.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Despite it being 'collectable' I would be put off by the bad (due to wear?) mis matching of the sleeves to the body.
Not seen many Buco jackets, probably only about 2, and yes they looked nice but maybe its the same with the following of Lewis Leathers and the British bike scene. Lewis (originals) are nothing special but at the time were considered one of the better quality makes, though many others are equal.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Despite it being 'collectable' I would be put off by the bad (due to wear?) mis matching of the sleeves to the body.
Not seen many Buco jackets, probably only about 2, and yes they looked nice but maybe its the same with the following of Lewis Leathers and the British bike scene. Lewis (originals) are nothing special but at the time were considered one of the better quality makes, though many others are equal.

Odd how the sleeve wear is so different from the body. What the hell was the owner doing with himself all those years to achieve that patina? Cartwheels? lol

tropicalbob

That particular jacket has to be at the top of the price range even for people who trade in them. Every time I see one of these going at such a price I think I'm looking at a kind of mini-market bubble. At the end of the day, you're standing there with $7,500 worth of 80-year-old skin.

What TB said, that Indian stuff is ridiculous, but I guess it's the manufacturers name adding value to it. Anything Indian immediately triples in price. Truth be told, these do appear scarcely but 7 grands is still way too much money.

There was another Indian Ranger jacket on eBay some years ago, going for the same kind of money as this one albeit in a much better condition, with some lovely ornaments. Here it still is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0RIGINAL-19...CYCLE-JACKET-MODEL-666-SZ-38-40-/281790342886
None of this makes the price any less ridiculous. Besides, I love these jackets as much as anyone else, but what's the point of owning any of them if you can't wear 'em?

...and what's with the shoulder gussets being made from textile? Looks like a recent modification, too.

tropicalbob

I think of these sorts of deals the same way I think of great works of art sitting in the darkened vaults of some money-man. It's beyond any reasons of utility, design, or even commodity fetishism: it must be about trading on a market. This one must be at about the outer limit of pricing. Who knows, though. Maybe they're actually worth it to some rich guy for whatever reasons. A sales clerk in London back in the very early '70's once gave me fifty pounds and my choice of any pair of shoes in the store for a pair of knackered engineer boots I was wearing (I was glad to get rid of them and he hugged them to his chest when he ran into the back with them). It's a big world.

Not at all, TB. :) It's from a song called Elegant Ellen by the experimental (or psychedelic, if you will) rock band Nick told me about, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Not too fond of the lyrics in their songs, but I really like this particular line.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Not at all, TB. :) It's from a song called Elegant Ellen by the experimental (or psychedelic, if you will) rock band Nick told me about, West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Not too fond of the lyrics in their songs, but I really like this particular line.

Well Ivan, TB got me into them..lol

lol Well... That's... I don't know what to say. lol :D

For some reason I thought it was Holly would got you into WCPAEB. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner