Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have to echo the disappointment in the US Wings crusher. Just don't do it! I won't stick in my obligatory "US Wings screwed me on a return" pitch this time...Whoops! I guess I will!

I have the WWII Impressions khaki cotton cursher, and it's great, but the stiffener in the front won't relax at all. It will probably never lean back like the Lancasters do. Juan's chocolate elastique is also great, though I've never owned one, just coveted my friend's.

Zemke, that's good to know about the Lancaster being in the khaki wool. Eventually I'll get my summer uniform together, but I'm having trouble finding the right pants. I really want some khaki wool breeches, but I've never seen any. They must be out there somewhere. Has anyone ever seen pics of an officer in summer breeches?

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Baggers said:
I went through this with Garcia last year. ...and they happen to be out of stock, the order packer just tosses a very cheaply made cap into the box in the hope that the buyer won't know the difference. ...arrived and I complained, I was told that they must have packed the "wrong hat" and to send it back.

Funny you mention this, I ordered a USAAF flight cap from them and after a long wait, I received one that was a piece of ****. It had glue ooze and the stitching was awful. The earphone cups were sewn crooked and who knows what else.

I e-mailed them and they said send it back, "the packer must have put in one of the contractor's prototypes". Yeah right, if the contractor sent me a sample or prototype like that I'd definitely not order from that contractor. Besides that, the packer must be blind as it was obvious the cap was junk.

Yep, Garcia has some cool stuff but their repro stuff definetely has to watched out for. Just thought I'd share my Garcia experience.

Cobden

Practically Family
Don't know about Crushers, but if those photo's of the RN Officer's caps are anything to go by, Col. Bubbies doesn't care much for authenticity!
Also: Glen Garry? Wolverton Pith Helmet? British Army in Vietnam?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Well folks, here is my latest find from OFAS.
WWII Army Air Corps EM's Crusher Cap. Although I'm still on the hunt for the officers Crusher at a reasonable price as well.;)

87_1.JPG

VERY nice! Enlisted crushers are next to impossible to find, quite rare. My husband has an original he picked up in an antique store for $14 (talk about a bargain), and we've had collectors try to purchase it for considerably more. One of our friends who is a big-time collector told us he has only seen one other true enlisted crusher (I'm talking actual crusher - not just a service cap).

As far as vendors, avoid US Wings like the plague. Their stuff is cheap, inaccurate, and overpriced. Garcia Aviation is only marginally better. The one item I've purchased from Garcia was a repro AAF scarf - advertised on their site with white embroidery, but when it arrived the embroidery was blue. I emailed them, and basically got a "Too bad" type answer. I ended up just giving it away and buying another repro from somebody else.

I'd also avoid Col. Bubbie's. He is notorious for marketing modern items as WWII. Having been to his store several times, he's also rather rude.

FYI, if you ever want to research WWII vendors, check out the Greendevils vendor feedback forum: http://www.greendevils.com/greendevils/Consumer/default.asp

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
May be of use to y'all

Here are some links to WW2 repro stuff in the UK - I've never purchased from them so cannot vouch for either the quality or the level of authenticity, however, they may be of use to someone ?

http://www.warhorsetradingpost.com

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk

The 2nd link (sof) even has for sale some genuine items from the filming of 'band of brothers' but at quite ridiculous prices !!

Colin

Hondo

One Too Many
silhouette53 said:
Here are some links to WW2 repro stuff in the UK - I've never purchased from them so cannot vouch for either the quality or the level of authenticity, however, they may be of use to someone ?

http://www.warhorsetradingpost.com

Colin

This warhorsetradingpost looks interesting, I'll tell you how they were in a few months, the chocolate tuntic is what I've been searching for, thanks for the link:)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
EM & Officer AAF Crushers

The soft visor EM crusher was from Jon A. Maguire "Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens". The Bancroft Flighter officer crusher I picked up @ a MAX Show many years ago.

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

SC ;)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
It's a shame to hear about Garcia being lax on stuff. When I first started dealing with them, most of what they had was vintage, abundant, and inexpensive...

...but that was 1997. I'l willing to be that the company has done several things:

They've grown. Their service has as such declined. I used to be able to call and have a 50% chance of talking to Jim himself. Doesn't happen anymore.

They've become more popular and their clientele has become less exacting, less picky and less knowledgeable. They're now held to a lower standard. Also, they do a lot of supply for the motion picture industry and what looks fine on camera looks like CRAP in person.

Supply has changed. We've discussed the supply issue with the crushers. The Lancaster is a killer, the other is a movie prop. The warehouse they originally bought that started it all has slowly been cleaned out over the years. There's not much stuff left that they can just dig out of the back and they're forced to go treasure hunting. Easily found or 'discovered' items now are either gone forever or have to be reproduced.

So there you go. Garcia used to be top notch, seems they've fallen a good amount. I'm out of the collecting / reenacting business for a while as I concentrate on other aspects of life, anyway...who knows, by the time I decide to chase that again, all of my stuff will have doubled in value and so will my waist measurement.

Hondo

One Too Many
very good Wingnut, it happens I guess (Garcia) its a shame for sure, perhaps they are reading the posts, threads on their duds. I guess that leaves only History Preservation (works with Eastmans) for those Lancaster crusher caps, else its ebay or something like that, at least for us fat headed guys (7 3/8) You keep your collections, watch your waist, keep it slim for the ladies buddy, I'm sure you'll return to the fold when your ready.

And Hey "Solid Citizen" you got a great deal on both caps, they look excellent ;)
Hope you didn't fork out too much dough, I paid nearly 200 smackers for my New Lancaster from H.P (see below) but it was well worth the cost.

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/index.html

sky_six

New in Town
WWII Crusher? Please help!

I have what I think is a WWII crusher cap, but can someone confirm? It is most definately authentic, as proven by the cracking of the leather sweatband. Any information on this hat which is in GREAT shape would be much appreciated!
newebaystuff056.jpg

newebaystuff057.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey, thanks for all the links and info gang! That is some nifty stuff.
I just got the olive drab Lancaster from silhouette53. A perfect fit and went to a great Halloween costume this year. Thank you for having exactly what I needed.
I will post pics once I get them off loaded from my camera.;)

Cheers!

Dan

RAAF

New in Town
Not A Crusher

My 2p is that your cap is not a crusher but rather a standard army officers service dress cap. The cracking on the visor is pretty common on these now-60-year-old caps.

Parts that strike me as different include the wool used on the top of the cap. It looks like the same wool as used for enlisted uniforms. Most of the officer caps I have are made with either OD elastique or wool felt.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Looks like the standard issue wool fabric cap. It appears that there is a metal band inside the top to keep it's shape,...no? Hence, technically not a crusher, but still a nice specimen in very good shape.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
IMO Authentic YES/Crusher NO

Sky-Six your officers cap:

1. Stiff visor.

2. Gromit in-place

Bancroft Flighter these officer caps were made without gromits, soft crushable visor & our considered "True AAF Crushers"!

IMG_0237.jpg

SC ;)

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Garcia Aviation

I deal with Garcia Aviation some. The crusher that I got was great, but when I ordered 13th Air Force patches for my unit, they were made with modern materials (possibly Polyester) and they did not have the orange gold ring around the outside edge of the patch. It was oversized as well. These are usually the type that the CAF sales at their events. At least it was easy to return. I also bought a repo copy of the Gunners Information File book, but was disapointed to find that it did not have all the pages. The front pages were reproduced but the back pages were missing. This left out a lot of info. You would be reading a section and turn the page to finish out the sentence only to be reading into another topic.:rage:

Gray Ghost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred