Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

16mm Films

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I tried searching and didn't come up with anything. But does anybody here collect 16mm films? I just recently bought my first one. "Cactus Makes Perfect" a 3 Stooges short from 1942. The actual film it's on is newer, probably sixties.

Matt

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I don't know how I missed this thread...

Yeah, I started collecting 16mm back in around 1973 - after having already been collecting on Super 8 for a few years (mostly Blackhawk Films silent comedies). I've got a whole bunch of classic cartoons (over fifty, spanning all the classic-era studios), Buster Keaton shorts, assorted oddities like trailers, and two features. (Does anybody want to try and guess these two titles?)

But I haven't picked up anything new on film in nearly 15 years now. I still have a friend who's heavily into it (and he's been making out like a bandit on eBay for years), but I just haven't been able to throw any money at it. I'm supporting two households, have a son in college... you know, real life.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Doctor Strange,

It's cool to find another fan of film on the lounge. Like I said, I only have the one. A friend of mine has a handful of shorts. But I don't yet have a projector. It's a fun thing, but I don't anticipate purchasing any feature films on eBay in the near future. Big bucks.

Matt

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
About 20 years ago I found a stack of 16mm films, maybe 6 or 8 of them, tossed in a dumpster in front of my building. They looked pretty old, maybe 50's or earlier. Stuck them away and forgot about them. I still have never looked at them. 16 mm projectors are hard to find nowadays. This thread has jogged my brain. Maybe i'll find me a projector and view them. Never know what kind of surprises there might be.
When I was a kid in the 50's 16 mm was ubiquitous. That's what we saw in the "Visual Aids Room" at school, that's what they showed us at camp on rainy days, etc., etc.
You unravelled the little speaker from the door of the projector and set it in front of the screen. You played with the screen till it was right. Then the projectionist fiddled with the spools till the film was all threaded, and then he hit the switch.
The last part of the ritual was rewinding the spools. 16 mm films were fun!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
And school is where a friend of mine has sourced most of his projectors and spare takeup reels. He's a school teacher and once in a while they unearth some storage room that nobodies been in for 20 odd years and start throwing stuff away.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Just expanded my collection to include a copy of the Howard Hughes film "The Outlaw" with Jane Russell. I'm amazed that I was the only bidder. Scored it for 50 dollars. I bought it as a birthday gift to myself. Won the film on Feb 28th. Not a date I'll forget anytime soon mind you.

Matt

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Maybe nobody was bidding because the truth is, apart from its historical interest as a "scandalous" film, it's simply not a very good movie!

But happy birthday anyway! (When's your birthday? As it happens, mine's February 27.)

16mm lives!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Maybe nobody was bidding because the truth is, apart from its historical interest as a "scandalous" film, it's simply not a very good movie!

But happy birthday anyway! (When's your birthday? As it happens, mine's February 27.)

16mm lives!

As we do WW2 living history and like to show films in camp at events it will be a fun one to show, what with all the Jane Russell pin-up's that adorned GI barracks during the war. I've never seen it in it's entirety, but I've sort of gathered it's no Casablanca :)

My birthday is the 28th. The same day as she just passed away, the same day I won the film. Something a little creepy about that.

Oh and no vinegar smell!

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff