Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Fabric Weight for Modern Suits

vintage68

Practically Family
Hello All,

I was curious if anyone knows about a current suit manufacturer that makes suits with the weight of old, 1930's era fabrics.

As I'm sure most of you already know, fabric in that area was loomed differently so the fabric weight was heavier and more durable.

I love the suits I have, but they feel very insubstantial and I'm looking for something heavier.

Thanks in advance.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oxxford offers a pretty good selection of heaver cloths in their Winter RTW line (they do, after all, own Holland & Sherry), but to get the really meaty stuff you pretty much have to go MTM or bespoke.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The information is not on my site yet though I have books of denser fabrics that are will be shown to clients when my tailors go to each city.

Holland and Sherry and Dormeuil are the two more well known companies that most people know and they make great materials. I also have several tweeds and denser wools from other companies that still produce material like that which was worn in the the 30's in patterns that are similar to what was available back in the day. I'm about durability and fit so that's what I show my clients.

Just received photos from a client that had a 16 oz navy blue 3 piece made and it drapes spectacularly, I try to post those in a bit.

As we know, the denser fabrics just cary and wear so much better... and with the right details and fit... well i like a visual harmony that is achieved in a better way with heavy fabrics.

I'm also doing a pair of WWII officer trousers in all wool elastique which has recently been sourced (stuff's just like it was made in the 30s and 40s. Super heavy and in multiple shades. Lasts through anything.

vintage68

Practically Family
Yes, please DO post pics when you have the chance Deckard. As it happens I'm in the market for a vested navy suit (or three!).

Can I assume that Deckard and Co. will accommodate requests for a higher gorge in the vest?

Bugsy

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
The information is not on my site yet though I have books of denser fabrics that are will be shown to clients when my tailors go to each city.

Holland and Sherry and Dormeuil are the two more well known companies that most people know and they make great materials. I also have several tweeds and denser wools from other companies that still produce material like that which was worn in the the 30's in patterns that are similar to what was available back in the day. I'm about durability and fit so that's what I show my clients.

Just received photos from a client that had a 16 oz navy blue 3 piece made and it drapes spectacularly, I try to post those in a bit.

As we know, the denser fabrics just cary and wear so much better... and with the right details and fit... well i like a visual harmony that is achieved in a better way with heavy fabrics.

I'm also doing a pair of WWII officer trousers in all wool elastique which has recently been sourced (stuff's just like it was made in the 30s and 40s. Super heavy and in multiple shades. Lasts through anything.

I just bought a Matt Deckard suit in one of these fabrics and it's wonderful. Looks very retro and do not wrinkle.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I'm in Australia so it is easier for me to go to Vietnam and get them to re-create the look I need, in tissue thin fabrics. I love that Tommy Nutter look!

nutter%20valentine%20456.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred