Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1933 (haunted) radio picks up Hitler wartime speechs

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
If you read his description he clearly states that it picked up "his wartime am radio broadcasts" implying that he is transmitting his own broadcasts and his radio is picking them up.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Well I missed that little piece of info, I thought he was trying to say it was picking up broadcasts from 70 years ago. (Which would have been much more interesting) Hmmm, I wonder if there are any cases of something like that...

cco23i

A-List Customer
We did a display one wekend and we had an aircraft AM radio, well we strung a long wire up and about 11:00 that night we found a 40's station and while listening the DJ was German so that was kinda strange but it was a station in Germany that plays all 40's.

Scott

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Well I missed that little piece of info, I thought he was trying to say it was picking up broadcasts from 70 years ago. (Which would have been much more interesting) Hmmm, I wonder if there are any cases of something like that...

Didnt mean to burst your bubble, lol. But it would be a helluva a lot more interesting if that were actually the case. I wonder if radio signals could bounce around in the static for years after they were broadcasted...think its a possibility?

Blackjack

One Too Many
Well sound does float around in space so I suppose if something "bounced it back"... but to truly tune in to a broadcast from 70 years ago, now that would be awwwweesome...:eusa_clap

Philip A.

Familiar Face
It would make a good script for a movie though, sucked back in time through an old radio. Any script writers on the forum here????

"Frequency", with Dennis Quaid... Son finds his dead father's ham radio and tries it out during a magnetic storm of sort, ending up talking with the past. And more, of course!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
There was also a newer Twilight Zone (or some other sci fi anthology) that had a guy receiving old radio transmissions and he tries to change history so his father doesn't die die during the war with an unplanned.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
We have an old radio that we gutted and installed a cassette player in. At airshows we would play transcript tapes of old radio shows with commercials, news, music, etc. At one show a lady asked about the radio and Dan explained to her the story about old radios picking up old radio broadcasts that were still out there in space. The lady was totally unconvinced with Dan's story. This time we got lucky. There was a well-known spot on the tape where it went staticy for a few seconds and then cleared up. With impeccable timing, the radio went staticy right on cue. One of the guys smacked the radio with his hand and the static cleared up. Lady's eyes got about two inches in diameter and she walked away talking to herself!:eeek:

Tom

30s sliphorn

New in Town
Hi,
I'm new to the lounge. Really enjoy reading the posts. I found this thread quite interesting. When I was in law school in the early 80s, we were discussing a case that had occurred in England in a cable law class (which was a new thing at the time). It seems there was a TV station in the London area that had its broadcast interrupted for about 15 minutes by a Texas TV station. Apparently the weather was a bit stormy at the time. When the station made inquiries, they discovered that the Texas station had been off the air for approximately 5 years by then. I've talked with friends of mine that work in the TV profession, and they've related similar stories. Apparently the TV engineers really have no idea where some of these TV and radio signals go after their initial transmission, or what brings them back to cause interference. Kind of interesting to think about...

I bought a series of tapes (only way they sell them) and we did the same thing with an iPod. We have radio night at home. Light candles and go back in time. Lovely isn't it? Our house was built and decorated in 1906 fashion so it fits :)

We have an old radio that we gutted and installed a cassette player in. At airshows we would play transcript tapes of old radio shows with commercials, news, music, etc. At one show a lady asked about the radio and Dan explained to her the story about old radios picking up old radio broadcasts that were still out there in space. The lady was totally unconvinced with Dan's story. This time we got lucky. There was a well-known spot on the tape where it went staticy for a few seconds and then cleared up. With impeccable timing, the radio went staticy right on cue. One of the guys smacked the radio with his hand and the static cleared up. Lady's eyes got about two inches in diameter and she walked away talking to herself!:eeek:

Tom

MPicciotto

Practically Family

Tom

That story is LEGEND among reenactors. At least among ones who know the APS. Never fails to give me a chuckle.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters