Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1937 Wedding Suit in vintage store today

BTJepson

New in Town
I was doing some vintage suit shopping in one of my favorite stores today here in Austin and came across a beautiful 1937 suit worn by a man on his wedding day. The owner of the shop told me that his son had donated the suit, and there was a note inside the pocket describing that 'Elmo wore this suit on his wedding day, 1937, Uvalde, Texas.' It was in pretty good shape, with only a bit of fraying on the belt loops and one pant leg hem let out. If it hadn't been about a 36-38R, I would have bought it (I wear a 40-42R.) As a bonus, there was a very old, very thin handkerchief in the pocket, most likely used to dab at sweat on Elmo's brow as he took his bride that day. It gets hot down in Uvalde and this suit was a very lightweight material and light in color. It's still for sale and $79 will buy it. Here's some photos:

c5788891.jpg

da863036.jpg

09773a83.jpg

c1b67851.jpg

e4e0a81d.jpg

2f1815e1.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
:eeek:

Holy crap, do yourself a favor: get back down there and buy it. It may not fit but you could make a decent amount from selling it.

Great suit, btw. The fabric is amazing and the buttons really set it off.

Last edited:
Yes, please buy it for me. You can't receive private messages yet (I think you need 15 posts), but I would really, really love to have this suit. oh god, how much would I wear this suit! I can also throw in some freebies from my stock of 30s/40s stuff to sell, should you be interested (assuming, of course, I have anything you like).

cheers,

bk

Last edited:

BTJepson

New in Town
Well, then...I'll go down and buy it tomorrow, as long as it hasn't been snatched up! I'll try to post a bit more in order to receive PM's. If one of my fellow FL'ers (I'm looking at you Baron) would like to then buy it, we can work out a mutually beneficial deal. I'm not looking to cash in, just share a love of fine vintage haberdashery.

Great! Your PM privileges should be active soon. I can't remember, but they may have to be activated by an administrator.[edit] Ah, I see PMs are up and running[/edit]

I will certainly buy it from you - dependent of course upon the size/measurements of the suit. If it's not my size (36ish), you will have NO trouble selling it to someone else here, let me tell you! It's a stunner! put me first on the list

cheers,

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Congrats. Great suit. I don't know how you do that, bk, but those wonderful suits search YOU out not the other way round.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Wow, great suit and very nice of you to pick it up for the Baron. If it turns out to be too big for him, I'm about a 38R . . . :whistling

BTJepson

New in Town
I have the suit! $73 + tax came out to $79 and some change. I've taken a lot of photos and will upload them after I get back from an outing with my 19 month old son. I promise, no drool or peanut butter will get near the suit!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
BK is one lucky guy. And BTJepson are extremely nice to share your find without making any profit.:eusa_clap
That's enough to restore the faith in humanity and the fedora lounge :D

BTJepson

New in Town
It is truly my pleasure to share this love that we all have for the beautiful styles of the past. It's an exclusive club, and one I'm proud to be a part of. Here are the photos I took after bringing the suit home:
b1951bc4.jpg

c418625c.jpg

One of two moth holes I found (see above)

f61188f2.jpg

3aa45303.jpg

The old silk(?) handkerchief I found in the pocket and the note from the son about the origin of the suit. Elmo Bohman, married July 4, 1937, Uvalde, Texas in this suit which cost $15 at the time.

3941ff89.jpg

The other small moth hole (photo above)

54e82748.jpg

e46a3edd.jpg

Previous owner's name written (and spelling corrected by same) inside pants.

f72cd002.jpg

b5f958cc.jpg

The fraying around the belt loops.

So, once we figure out the shipping cost, I can wrap it up and send it on its way. What would a package for this suit weigh, do you think? 5-7lbs?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails