Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938 stetson 100

hatsandart

New in Town
i got a call from a woman who has a 1938 stetson 100 she wants to know something about.
she said her father moved from new york to texas and bought this hat.
so its a western hat.
oh yes.
and its a stetson 100?
yes
was your father a high roller in 1938? if this is the hat im thinking of it was expensive for the time.
he was not a high roller he was a sales manager for a company but he always said he paid 100 dollars for this hat.
in 1938?
yes
that was a lot of money for a hat in 1938.
was it?
yes. i would like to see the hat and give you a better idea of what you have....

so we are meeting next week to see the hat she said didnt get worn much.
does anyone have any input as to the special nature of what i am anticipating. was the 100 a chinchilla or something like that or waht made it a 100 dollar hat at that time?
any other good input will be appreciated.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
There was a hat made by Stetson in the 1930's called the Ermine. I heard that they made 10 of them . Im not sure of the cost but it could have been 100.00. I don't think there was any hat that retailed for 100.00 back in the 1930's. That was a lot of money .

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
No expert here, but one element of learning is, never say never as to what can jump up out of no where and shock you about a rare hat. It will be interesting to see pictures and to have those of you that certainly know your stuff about the older Stetsons, chime in to identify the hat is question. Of course, if it is nice and clean, and near a size we could use in our home, we sure would entertain making an offer on it...if for sale!

fedoracentric

Banned
It went on ebay and had a $1,000 price tag. Didn't sell, not surprisingly. It was an early 60s one--I think. I can't remember the size but I'm thinking it was a 7. But don't hold me to any of that because it was weeks and weeks ago. I do remember it was in fairly nice shape, though. We were just talking about this seller in another thread, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany