Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s British D/B Suit, GOODBYE!

Cobden

Practically Family
I have heard that quite a lot of people forged CC41 marks, so that there pre war clothing would appear "new"; which may explain the number of DB CC1 clothes...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Cobden said:
I have heard that quite a lot of people forged CC41 marks, so that there pre war clothing would appear "new"; which may explain the number of DB CC1 clothes...

i've never heard this. i've also seen many double breasted CC41 suits (there's one on ebay.co.uk right now). to suggest that they're all forgeries is crazy. people weren't too enamoured of CC41 clothing when it appeared, as they are now, so to pretend that other clothing WAS utility doesn't ring true. i can only assume that restrictions varied year to year and that DBs were a no-no for only a year or two at the most. i've also read that fake cuff-openings were banned and cuff buttons. again this doesn't hold out.i've also seen far more photos of turned-up trousers than i have without. it seems that there is now just too much misinformation and half-truths surrounding utility clothing to get at the truth.

Cobden

Practically Family
I must say, I agree; just something I heard (think it may have been in regards to selling 2nd hand clothes as new), still makes little sense. One or two of the things you see could definately be alterations made with clothing (putting cuff buttons on, turning up trousers yourself).
The single breasted restriction may just be post 1943 (IIRC) when there was a wool shortage; the Naval Class Three Ratings uniforms went from DB to SB due to it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy