Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

Marc Chevalier said:
No offense, but that's just AWFUL. Please, please return those two books! :(

To expound on my agreement with Marc on this subject, and NOT to pick on anyone, please understand that the resources at our Public Libraries are for the Public (the whole community) to have the ability to access information that they may not be able to afford individually. The original generous individuals who sponsored this venture in our country changed our society for the best in a big way, and it has proven to be invaluable to us.

In my community, our libraries are struggling to remain open due to the rising costs of theft and lack of volunteers. If we want to enjoy the privileges of our free country, we must also protect them. :) Sorry it's a bit off the Beauty topic....

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I have both the original (the one with the illustration of the girl on the cover) and the one with Gene Tierney. I bought them years and years ago when they first came out. I have to agree with those who said they like the 1st edition better, there are even little tidbits of info that are non hair related scattered thru the book.

I like them both well enough, but as someone else posted, a lot of the material is copied from reference books or hairdresser magazines of that decade, and if you search, can be found on the web.

decodoll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
There is a seller on ebay who is selling a photocopied book about 1940's hairstyles, called something like "How to Dress Your Hair". She sent me a copy for free when I ordered some things from her. It is not an exact reproduction of "1940's Hairstyle's" but it does have sections taken directly from the book and other books as well. Such a scam!

The 1940's Hairstyles book is taken almost directly from a vintage hairstyling book that I own the original of. Most likely the things that you see in that pamphlet that are also in 1940's Hairstyles were taken by Ms. Turudich from the vintage original...not the other way around.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I agree, I have a 1938 hairdressing manual that was reprinted in 1947. It is pretty much the same book, I paid £28 for it at an antiques fair. It's all still a foreign language to me !

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
decodoll said:
The 1940's Hairstyles book is taken almost directly from a vintage hairstyling book that I own the original of. Most likely the things that you see in that pamphlet that are also in 1940's Hairstyles were taken by Ms. Turudich from the vintage original...not the other way around.

I also have a textbook from the late 40's. But, the seller who is selling this pamphlet did in fact take pictures and quotes from Turudich directly. She also used information from the exact hairstyling book I have. She's a very nice seller, and for about $13 you can get one of her "books". Either way, between the 4 books I have to help me with styling, I feel like I'm reading a foreign language. I get the basics, but when it comes to doing specific styles, I'm lost:(

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Daniela Turudich Artical To Share...

http://www.ocweekly.com/culture/fashion/olde/17197/

OldeThe past isn’t dead for Daniela Turudich. It isn’t even past
By Alison M. Rosen
Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 12:00 am

Photo by Jack Gould
Should you ever have the opportunity to meet Daniela Turudich in person, DO NOT DO IT OVER LUNCH.

There you’ll be, idly munching on some nondescript crunchy thing in your salad while she tells you that women used to put crushed insect bodies all over their lips, but "they couldn’t wear it for long because it would start to sting and decay." Then, as you debate what to do with the nugget of increasingly bug-like salad in your mouth, she’ll tell you that carmine—crushed bugs—is still used as a red coloring in high-end lipsticks and also that "the difference between makeup back then and now is that back then, they just cared about how to make it stick so it wouldn’t rot or bleed." Yummers!

But it isn’t just the disgusting cosmetic habits of the first half of the 20th century that interests Turudich, it’s everything: the hair, the clothes, the music, the mindset, the decorations—so much so that she has written a string of vintage how-to books, including the upcoming 1940s Hairstyles, Vintage Face and Vintage Weddings, all of which she’s putting out through her own Long Beach-based publishing company, Streamline Press.

And she’s only 24, which makes her part historian, part writer, part publisher, part entrepreneur and part whippersnapper.

But what I want to know is this: it’s perfectly acceptable, hip and cool to crib from the 1950s and ’40s, and a little more unusual but still stylish from the ’30s and ’20s, but dip any deeper, and pretty soon you’re just a big, fat, cape-wearing, sword-carrying, small-pewter-figurine-collecting, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons-playing, Renaissance Faire-going goober who carries his pet rat on his shoulder and challenges his friends to duels. Which is not to say that I think they’re goobers (although I kind of do), but rather that society at large is unkind to those who wear capes.

Why is that? Why is cape-wearing really any different from rolling your hair into a bunch of pin curls and shopping at vintage-clothing stores? Or tweezing your eyebrows until they‚Äôre pencil-thin ?† la Jean Harlow? Or listening to swing? Or, to reference an even more familiar style, slicking back your pompadour with Murray‚Äôs and rolling your white T-shirt back over half-sleeve tattoos and driving a flame-covered Kustom Kar? Or dyeing your hair black and cutting the front into thick Betty Page-style bangs and wearing a leopard-print halter top?

It’s all retro. It’s all been done before. It’s all "vintage." But I’m just as fallen as the rest of you, for though I intellectually realize that it’s all the same—that retro is retro is retro—I could probably find myself attracted to a greaser but not to a man who carries a rat on his shoulder and dips his own candles. I might wear ’50s-style eyeliner, but I’ll never wear pantaloons underneath a hoop skirt.

I don’t get it. And Turudich—who graduated from Cal State Long Beach with a degree in film and went on to work as a "grunt" in the film industry, doing research for a couple of period pictures before deciding she’d rather keep her own hours—doesn’t get it either. But she has some ideas. "I think if women were out there wearing bustles," Turudich says, "they wouldn’t be accepted the same way as people wearing styles from the ’20s, ’30s and ’40s because the ’20s, ’30s and ’40s are seen as less extreme. There’s a certain nostalgia for that time, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s that people’s grandparents or great-grandparents dressed this way," Turudich says. "Plus, it’s more comfortable than bustles or hoop skirts or Victorian corsets. We’re talking about wearable clothing. Also, this is when you start having the whole star icon. It’s people emulating people they find beautiful."

Turudich has seen a pattern in the retro-worship of those around her. "I’m going to generalize, but usually people move from punk rock to rockabilly and then they go to swing," she says. "That’s the progression. They like the whole underground culture of punk rock, and then they slow down in their 20s and 30s and like hot rods, and then they realize there’s something else besides the 1950s, so they start doing the ’40s and then the ’30s and the ’20s. That’s what I’ve seen."

Turudich—who on this day is dressed like a normal, 21st-century girl in black pants, a red shirt and a black cardigan and with very little makeup on her delicate features—says she’s not obsessed with the past. "I don’t dress vintage every day," she says. "There are some girls who don’t leave the house without having the hair and makeup done, and I’m not like that. I do it for special occasions. I’m too lazy to do it every day."

And so I begin to wonder whether this vintage stuff is a passion for her or if she’s just a smart woman who recognizes a viable market.

"It’s probably half and half," she says. "I’m not obsessed with vintage culture, but I definitely like it. I wouldn’t be able to spend years researching topics that I wasn’t interested in. It just so happens that the topics I’m researching are going to sell, and other people want to know about this stuff, too."

Turudich says she’s met people who believe they were reincarnated into the present from the ’20s, ’30s or ’40s. I find that incredibly creepy, just like I find World War II re-enactments (for which her books can be used) creepy—and "re-enactment" in general kind of creepy.

"You know, whatever floats your boat. The world’s a big place," she says in a most diplomatic way. "It doesn’t creep me out. If you’re interested in it, go do it—as long as you’re not hurting anybody." Kind of creepy.

She will meet me halfway on the whole creepy thing in one area, though. "You know what I find creepy? When people claim they’re being individuals, but they’re just copying someone else. It’s one thing to find someone pretty and to emulate them, but it becomes a problem when they’re actually seriously trying to be someone else—like trying to be Betty Grable or Marilyn Monroe or Louise Brooks. They’re human beings, and they’re dead, and there’s only one of them, you know? Appreciate that style, and think it’s pretty, and adapt it to your life without trying to be it. I think there’s a fine line between appreciating the beauty and re-creating a certain person."

fernande

Vendor
I've read various threads pertaining to The 1940's hairstyle book.

I've never flipped through the Daniela's version, but I do have about 6 period hairstyling/makeup books, some which I paid a fortune for, and I've only seen once- on places like Ebay or Amazon- and a few I bought privately from people who's great grandmother's were beauty educators and stuff like that- things that I don't think anyone has- books that probably were released in 50 copies, things like that-
-and from reading fellow FL'er's posts- it appears That Trundich "lifted" many parts/illustrations for her own book-and due to these books, although being hard to find- are in the public domain- it was legal.

I guess it was just one of those instances where she was clever enough to see that these books were public domain- and snag the stuff for herself--and it appears that even though she's used these illustrations- the old books they came from are still public domain and can be reproduced- which is where I guess those photo-copy books on Ebay come into play- (not "1940's hairstyles" mind you- but photocopies of the original 1940's books)

I've had several friends tell me I should do a collection-of my public domain works- lots of deco, 30s, 40s- glamour and hairstyle books-
Over the past two weeks- Ive done tons of research because I'd never want to do anything that wasn't legal- and it seems if they fell into public domain they are okay for use.

Where I get confused, is where other people have taken similar public domain works (like Daniela with some of her illustations- where it seems I have the book she lifted the illustrations from) and already used them. What I found, is that if the photos are altered, or revised, that one can copyright the revisions?
It makes you head swirl. Even though I'd love to make money it does seem kind of lame that people would have beef with each other over work/illustrations that were not their own anyways- but I know that those sort of arguments and disputes arise every day- in every art form/business venture- (anyone reading about the "Cup Cake Wars" in NYC? a certain bakery is trying to trademark their cupcakes/methods/"ambiance"- to prevent a few former employees from using similar recipes in their newly opened (and thus competing) bakeries)
The businesswoman in me says "well if I can do reprints of 5 books in one" for $19.99- it would be much more appealing than the copies of one 40's hairstyling book (that most recently I've seen the two sellers on ebay selling for $24.99) but I'd love to hear what people think on this- I'm sure many girls would be all out thrilled to have access to this information- than put out the nearly 1$,200.00 I spend on obtaining the books.

from all the "vintage hair" posts on FL- you see what *INTEREST* there is- but to update and revise, and enhance photos (through photoshop-illustrator, ect) would involve a considerable amount of time (especially since I'm not a whiz- at either program)- and of course, I'd love to recoup some of my investment. I'm only human- everybody loves a little extra cash!

I agree with Daisy and a few others who posted about the book's still not being very informative- Most of the books I have *are* kind of hard to understand and follow- I think when produced they assumed most women were pretty good at rolling/pincurling their hair and just provided more elaborate "looks"- (charts- rolling patterns,ect) to follow.

but if I had the money to invest- I'd love to work on a whole new book- that offers beginning, intermediate, and advanced- retro styles.
This could be an interesting project if any other Lounger's with hair savvy wanted to get involved!

opinions??

:)

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
You are right about the books.
I have copies of 40 hair, vintage face, and vintage wedding.

I thought that these would be the bible of all books thinking they would show pictures of the step by step process of recreating the hair styles etc....

I mentioned before in the FL...I leaned more from reading our threads and finding stuff on the internet than I did in these books.

Ten different people can explain how to do a hair style ten different ways and each one will come out the same.

I feel if you have the passion to write your book....go for it.

I found some message boards with Daniela asking about speak-easys.
(google turudich@inreach.com to find)

She even had to start somewhere.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I stumbled over some scans from the book "Vintage Face" and saved them to share them. Here they are:

Rather disappointing... It´s nothing that the majority of us does not know already. The make up guide at return2style.de is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more helpfull!!!!!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:
I stumbled over some scans from the book "Vintage Face" and saved them to share them. Here they are:

Rather disappointing... It´s nothing that the majority of us does not know already. The make up guide at return2style.de is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more helpfull!!!!!

Is that really all there is in it? I have some old high school home ec and beauty/fashion books from the 20s-60s and they have the little how-tos of where to put rouge & how to choose hairstyles and necklines, and they can be found for .25 at garage sales!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Yeah. Each decade has only the following infos: Colours, tools needed, Foundation and cheeks, Eyebrow and eyes, Lips and nails and 3 looks to do. I thought there would be muuuuuuuuuuuch more... I mean each of us could write a book on that.

Now that´s something I would MAYBE buy for a few bucks, but not for a few hundred. It´s really a better idea to invest in old beauty books and mags!

Daimere

New in Town
decodoll said:
The book is CREATIVE HAIRSHAPING & HAIRSTYLING YOU CAN DO...by IVAN OF HOLLYWOOD. I have this book and the Daniela Turudich book. I would definitely recommend watching for the vintage book on http://www.abe.com. Everytime it comes up on ebay, it goes for a lot, but I see it on ABE fairly regularly and it ranges between $30 and $60. All of the diagrams in the 1940s Hairstyling book were taken directly from this book. I was amazed when I saw this. There is no credit given whatsoever. The only difference between the new book and the vintage one is that she leaves out half the text explaining what you are doing!

Lauren, I wouldn't feel bad about not ordering the 1930's hair book. I don't think it was ever actually printed. I kept watching it on Amazon and the print date kept getting pushed back until Streamline Press finally went out of business.

I just found it on Amazon for $20 from the publishers. So yay for CREATIVE HAIRSHAPING & HAIRSTYLING YOU CAN DO! It was also cheaper than Vintage Styling that I just bought for $40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner