Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's era suit questions

uniballer63

New in Town
I have been building my wardrobe with late 40's to late 50's era clothing over the past few years, but come to a few stopping points with suits. Because of my size (6'2" with a 46" chest and 36" waist) I have a horrible time finding vintage that fits correctly so Ive pretty much given up and have searched for the few companies that make correct reproductions with the correct vintage fabrics. I found Magnoli Clothiers and that looks pretty good but I really can find a accurate representation of the suits from the 50s. can some one show me the suit styles from the late 40s to the late 50s? fabrics, 3 piece or not? also some of the eccentric 2 tone styles that were popular also. thanks

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I haven't got any photos handy to post (hopefully someone will chime in with some), but what I would recommend is to pick up some films from the era you're interested in and study what you see on screen. You can find some great ideas that way.

Afterwards, if you find a particular suit you'd like copied, you can let me know what film its from and we can pick out all the details. Feel free to PM or e-mail me with any questions.

Kind regards,
Indy

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Y'know the suits of this time period are as much about the fabrics as they are about the cut. In my opinion it's all about the gabardine from this era. I'll search around the net and try and come up with some pics.

Some modern films I can recommend are Devil in a Blue Dress, Ray, Hollywoodland and L.A. Confidential

I posted a bunch of pics of my 40s-50's sports coats in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11148&page=2&highlight=sportscoat

Also the book that reprints Sears Catalog pages by decade is pretty good as well.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
treniers.jpg

uniballer63

New in Town
Thanks guys. I do agree that the fabrics of the 50's era seem to make the suit. The cuts seem fairly conservative. I will have to search some more fabric options before I make my order. But definitely exited that I've found a company that will cater to these types of needs.

Jovan

Suspended
What company?

A film I recommend seeing for some typical '50s cuts, styles, and fabrics is Rebel Without a Cause. Though I wouldn't personally wear it, Dean's sport coat has this interesting "atomic fleck" tweed fabric. Another good one is Good Night, And Good Luck. Although Ed Murrow is purposely dressed a little finer than the rest of the gentleman, you can see some great things like lapel shape and width in close ups. Corrina, Corrina also has some well-replicated suits of the era worn by Ray Liotta and his character's colleagues.

I know everyone here will tell you this, but Cary Grant is a wonderful role model if you want to emulate that era. His clothes are with the times, but not necessarily fashionable -- just classic. See People Will Talk, To Catch a Thief, and North by Northwest for good examples (and great movies to watch of course!). You'll note that a lot of his jackets are not vented and his collars are soft and unboned. His ties are also wide, yet make small knots because of being lightly lined.

Good luck!

Jovan

Suspended
D'oh. Didn't see that.

I have to ask, Indy -- is there some sort of alarm that goes off in your house when there's any post so much as mentioning your company in passing? lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred