Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1970s: the 'copy-cat' decade...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
We've discussed a small bit about how the 1970s tried (and ultimately failed) to copy the classic look of the 1930s.

Fashions repeat and build upon those from earlier times. The 1970s were no exception.

Recently while looking for vintage suits in a thrift shop I stumbled upon a 3 piece suit from the 1970s that looked very 1930s-ish, at least at first. Trying it on, the vest and jacket had a nearly perfect vintage fit with vintage features: high armholes compared to today's standards, wide lapels, a nipped waist, etc.
Yet the trousers were flared, much like bell bottoms but not as pronounced. And the fabric was not only stiff, feeling more like wallpaper than fabric, but it had a loud red and blue/green plaid pattern. The pattern wasn't horrid, but didn't fit my tastes.
I contemplated buying it just to show on here but my best judgement finally won out.

I've heard that the early 1970s was successful at copying vintage but then strayed from the pure faith in the later years of the decade. When did this cross-over happen, why did it happen and what caused the 1970s to turn back to the vintage? Did movies like "The Sting" (1973) cause people to look back at 1930s style? Perhaps a rejection/backlash against the 'hippie' subculture?
This is quite an interesting topic and I'm interested what others have to say.
Billy

dostacos

Practically Family
as one of the few that lived through the 60s and actually remembers them...well I was a late bloomer and try to forget the 70s and a good portion of the 80s actually:D

the 70s took the 60s and tried to make them "respectable" they failed!

the leisure suit is a crime against humanity so was all the plastic clothing

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I think this is a misconception - I can't imagine designers in the 70s wanted to create exact copies of 30s suits, but rather to create something new with a wide range from loose, "ironic" allusion up to heavy inspiration.

Feraud

Bartender
herringbonekid said:
agreed, they weren't copying the 30s so much as re-inventing or taking inspiration from. some of the jackets are pretty close, most of the trousers not so.
I agree. Designers are always inspired by prior generations of style.
Currently we have designers who are inspired by the slim cut outfits of the 50-60s and showcasing the look.

The main horror I find from the 70s is the material. The thick, non-breathing polyester is horribly uncomfortable.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Feraud said:
The main horror I find from the 70s is the material. The thick, non-breathing polyester is horribly uncomfortable.

Good point, At the moment I wearing a 1970s sportcoat I found in Sweden all the time. It's a pretty good 1930s copy,IMO. Three button,high armholes, nipped waist, patch pockets, notch lapels, belted back and most important, blue herringbone 100 % wool fabric!

And for 10$ I couldn't resist!:rolleyes:

Regards,
Henrik

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Some factors influencing the interest in the golden era. The hippie, san francisco kids wer into blues and vintage folk music, and were also raiding the vintage shops for used clothing from past eras including the victorian and the twenties. It was not unusual to see a guy wearing a vintage suit, but open collared with long hair and a beard.

This may have insipred films like bonnie and clyde, and the sting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic