Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2/3 of a 3 piece....what to do???

Staredge

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased this waistcoat & jacket off of ebay. For $12, I figured I'd take a chance. It's a Bill Blass Premier in charcoal. This pic shows the most accurate color.

suitn.jpg

I looked into it a bit before I bid, but didn't realize until after the auction was over that the BBP line had been shut down. I haven't looked yet, but I'm wondering how hard it may be to find a pair of trousers to match. In the event that I can't, any suggestions? I love the look, although the waistcoat makes me look really old. lol I've put a couple of pics up to show the fabric. It is 100% wool. What could I wear with it as an odd jacket?

lapel.jpg

hangingt.jpg

Hope no one minds that it isn't a vintage question. :eek: This is the only style forum I belong to.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Pair with lighter (or even darker or patterned) trousers for the contrasted look.

AA156.jpg

Don't try to match trousers, it'll look all off. You'll never find a pair that matches 100%.

Staredge

One of the Regulars
Interesting thought.....I could try to find a pair of trousers to match my AE spectators. (Bourbon/bone) So basically....treat it as a sportcoat? I'm still hoping to find a pair of BBPs to match....will be keeping my eye on ebay. Possibly go with black trousers? I have a pair of wool ones that I also got off of ebay.

I have the Flusser. Glanced at that chapter....will have to read it a bit closer.

***Edit to add****

Something like this???

dsc01357s.jpg

1930_Italian

New in Town
I wear the "odd" look quite often - normally I will wear a standard 2pc suit, and then my waistcoat would be the same color, but a different shade. On occasion, I will wear a grey suit with a black waistcoat, or vice versa.

Splenahan

New in Town
... and they all have the bottom waistcoat button buttoned.
Interesting.

this was 1907. The practice of leaving the bottom button undone originates with HRH Edward VII, who was still reigning at this time (reign was 1901-1910). The practice first took off with the English aristocracy, and tailors followed suit with jackets and waistcoats whose drape would appear correct when the bottom button was left undone. Based on the age of these men, it is possible that their outfits predate this practice (i.e. made before Edward's example), their tailors, wives or the manufacturer of their clothes had yet to switch, or they simply didn't care.

as for the original problem 2/3 of a 3 piece, the waist coat and jacket could be used as odd waist coats or jackets respectively, or with complementary trousers.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Some tailors used to advertise "pants made to match." This was back when there weren't quite such a variety of fabrics, and guys used to drop smoking materials in their laps and burn holes in - or just fade out the dyes by resting their hands on their knees.

Today's menswear industry is smart enough to have most fabrics made proprietarily, so it's impossible to copy their product. This means it's also impossible to find matching fabrics, except for the most traditional types. Once they're gone - they're gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner