Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 more Akubras, crease advice please!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Here is my Mid Brown Campdraft and Sorrel Tan Boss of the Plains. I am Pretty sure I will stick with the diamond on the campdraft, the problem is mainly the Boss (isn't it always?). I knew what I wanted to do with it but just could not get it there. So here are a few attempts at some creases, let me know if any look like they work. I have not messed with the brim yet so it is snapped up until I decide on the crown. All attempts are dry only so they are kind of loose. I will also probably not have the cord on it.
I will take better pictures outside tom. when I have the permanent crease in as well as color comparison pics since we have 7 Akubras and an 8th on the way.

First Mid Brown campdraft,

GEDC0261-1.jpg

You can't see it but there is a nice mushrooming effect goin on that I really like with this one.

GEDC0264-1.jpg

Surprise, surprise it's a diamond.:rolleyes:

GEDC0265-1.jpg

I shaved after the pics.:D

GEDC0268-1.jpg

GEDC0266-1.jpg

So leave it, steam it in, change it?

Next the tough one,

Open crown
GEDC0252-1.jpg

GEDC0253-1.jpg

this is probably the worst crease, a bad attempt at a modified cattleman.
GEDC0258-1.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Simple centerdent, I feel like this needs crossed sabers on it though,
GEDC0255-1.jpg

GEDC0254-1.jpg

And finally an attempt at a Gus.

GEDC0257-1.jpg

GEDC0256-1.jpg

Brim work tom.
Does the Crease Police Chief's jurisdiction cover Western's??

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I like what you did in these pics. I've become a fan of the center dent with a not so tight pinch. It leaves the crown tall and looks a bit more "formal".
I ordered another Campdraft and a Fed IV this week and will probably go with that look on those when they arrive.
I like your new mid-brown Campdraft, they are great lids.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Well, the Campdraft looks great. I don't think you should even steam it. Just "wear it in."

As for the Boss; First, I thought they came pre-bashed! :eusa_doh:

Anyway, I rather like the first modified Cattleman. I think if you move the side dents forward about 1/4 or 1/2 inch, you'll have a winner. Otherwise, what about a c-crown "outback" sort of thing?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
The Campdraft is just fine, as others noted. What a great looking hat. One day I might have to get me one. The only thing I'd do if it were mine - steam the front dents in so they extend a bit lower down and become flatter, rather than just up near the top. But that's just my preference.

For the Boss, I'm partial to the modified Gus. Or...you might or might not look good in it, really can't say...but I'd also be tempted to go with the open crown. Very, very traditional and what a lot of the really old-time cowboys would have done until their horse modified the crown for them.

Good hats IndyCop. All the best,

- Bill

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
Anyway, I rather like the first modified Cattleman. I think if you move the side dents forward about 1/4 or 1/2 inch, you'll have a winner. Otherwise, what about a c-crown "outback" sort of thing?

Nothing against my Aussie bretheren but I want an American western look for this one. I am using it as an experiment to see if I can wear a western then in a few months I will order a custom from Mike, probably full beaver Crossfire Trail clone.

Didn't the Duke have a diamond creased Cavalry hat?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
The only thing I'd do if it were mine - steam the front dents in so they extend a bit lower down and become flatter, rather than just up near the top. But that's just my preference.
I think I will wear it all day tomorrow and fiddle with it, then set it in more at the end of the day.:)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
I think I will wear it all day tomorrow and fiddle with it, then set it in more at the end of the day.:)

Good!:eusa_clap that will give you something to do whilst contemplating your next injection of cash into the Aussie economy....:D

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
Good!:eusa_clap that will give you something to do whilst contemplating your next injection of cash into the Aussie economy....:D

I'd say we're all glad to be of help, especially considering the outstanding product we are receiving in exchange for the most reasonable injection. I love my Akubras and seem to keep finding more to add to the family. Thank you, Australia!

IC, as for the Boss, I like the first crease and echo pulling the side dents forward just a bit more.

Will you please take some outdoor pics of the mid brown CD?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
IC -- As you suspect, Western creases are outside my jurisdiction...:D

I think you did a real nice job on the Campdraft. Looks great! As far as the BOTP, how about trying a narrow centerdent with long side dents -- kind of a classic cattleman's crease, just to check out how that might look. Of the ones you've posted, I think the Gus looks very promising. What's tricky about this exercise is that you can only really determine which crease looks best in context -- so, seeing it on your noggin, along with what you do with the brim, will tell us a lot. You may want to post some noggin shots of different crease/brim styles.

I have a Stetson 3X in a 3.5" brim, which is the same brim width as the Akubra BOTP, I believe. I know you've ruled out this kind of crease, but I still think it would look really good on you...

LeftProfile.jpg

LeftCenter.jpg

BTW, gtd, you did a nice job with that Gus crease on the Adam Corral!

Anyways, IC -- looking forward to your BOTP crease-a-thon!

Cheers,
JtL

toobacat

One of the Regulars
GEDC0256-1.jpg

Indycop, the Gus crease looks great on this hat. I think the brim looks good like it is, sort of a more formal western look. I may have to get one of these after seeing yours. What's the open crown height?

I think the Campdraft looks good with almost any crease you put in it.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
This hat will have to be soaked or steamed to get anything to stay.:eusa_doh: :)

Here are 2 for Dean Glen,

GEDC0269-1.jpg

GEDC0270-1.jpg

I tried to do a centerdent with pinches but it would not stay while dry.
GEDC0271-1.jpg

Next the Gus,

GEDC0273-1.jpg

GEDC0277-1.jpg

GEDC0275-1.jpg

I really like the look of both Jimmy's and Gt's, but can only seem to get something resembling a Gus so I am going to break out the steam for the first time.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21