Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Most of the boots I found were in size 9 or 10. I was lucky enough to find a pair in 12 with a full rubber sole, only worn a few times by the looks of em. There is a worn out green sticker on the inside I believe to be a CSA safety logo but no green triangle. Would you happen to know if these would be allowed on construction sites dinerman?

Clark

New in Town
Want to show you guys my 1904 Marching shoe repros but I can't upload any images. With the basic uploader it says I don't have sufficient privileges, and with the normal one it gives me a progress bar, which completes but then fails, with red "!" buttons? Any idea what the problem is?

Clark

New in Town
Thanks Dinerman, I only just read the instructions in a sticky, during the exact seconds you were answering me. Pardon my ignorance
Here we go:
120813_Boots-0031.jpg

120813_Boots-0032.jpg

120813_Boots-0035.jpg

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I think i remember you posting these somewhere else before. I really like them, but would try to put a better sole on there

Clark

New in Town
Hm, no I haven't ever posted pics before. I just now put these on another forum, but not in the past!..

Also, yes the heels are missing a full couple of layers from the leather stack, and then some. This is from 2 years of frequent wear, mostly on the street, but in all conditions. A few months ago, one of the soles got a hole in it, so I stopped wearing them, as I didn't have the name of a good cobbler's, (and I've had terrible jobs done on some coveted shoes in the past). Just dug them out again today and buffed them a bit, and now I have a tip for somewhere to try for a re-sole ;)

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Just picked up the new Chippewa moc-toe boots from J. Crew. Really like them -- nice thick leather and I prefer the heel to the wedge sole of Red Wings.

Here are some photos:

chipps_01.jpg

chipps_02.jpg

chipps_03.jpg

chipps_04.jpg

chipps_05.jpg

illumin8em

A-List Customer
^^ very nice, good alternative to the Red Wing 213 which they have decided to only make in Oxblood and for this season Black. I am quite disappointed that they skipped over the original light brown leather. If these Chippewas came in a 10 hole version they would be my full-time boots. I like that the moc toe appears to be a bit more refined/subtle, and less boxy. I think I might go for a pair if a sale comes around soon

Any chance we could get a front shot like you took with the backs of the boots?

Last edited:

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I've got some credit on my J Crew account and wanna buy some boots. Which ones should I get?

Well, if you base it on the soles alone, you have two very different options. Mini lug for the RWs and the nearly smooth sole of the Chippewas. I would not pay $320 for simply distressed Gentlemen Travelers, which is what the RWs are, but I have never liked that particular boot anyways. I have only seen one example of the Chippewa boots on a foot, and to me it looked to have great potential once softened up with some wear. I really like the lighter colored leather from the start, it allows for more interesting wear.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like my Red Wings but I am less keen on the finish of this pair. Between the two I would choose the Chippewa boots. I don't own anything by them so I just go on the optical appearance.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The Chippewas would be great if they didn't sport that logo.

I really dig the William Lennon Zug grain boots. Replace the Vibram sole with a triple leather sole like on their Derby boots and I'm in boot heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran