Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5 Hats for Life - Your Choices

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Dear Folks,

As I set out on this hat-venture, I find myself a bit stunned by the sheer possibilities. The endless variations in styles and makers. In thinking about this, I realize what would help me, and perhaps others new to the world, would be a "desert island" question.

"If you had to choose only 5 hats to wear for the rest of your days, to live life as you live it, what would those hats be?"

Please feel free to identify the type, style, or maker. A quick statement as to what this hat does for you would be extra wonderful.

I'm very much hoping to read the distilled wisdom and experience of the community members.

Regards,
Wilkey

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
1. Since I live in WV I gotta have a Panama for those ridiculously humid summers.
2. The Stetson Stratoliner from the 50's One of the most iconic hats of all time because it is versatile can be dressed up or down
3. This is one I have coveted for years and have yet to land but the Stetson Whippet because it is one of THE ICONS of hat lovers everywhere

4. Every man needs a beater to wear hunting, fishing etc. So I must have an akubra on my hat rack.

5. Is selfish but I would never give up my Cane Rod Maker "Lilly" Custom. Named after my daughter and built as a gift from Tim to celebrate the birth of my beautiful daughter

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
1-a western Stetson 100
2-a western Stetson Nutria
3-a western Resistol 100
4-a western custom made (I can't decide the maker because I have none to compare)
5-a western yet to decide

Of course all with a +4" brim and a +7" crown. (but that is me dreaming)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm...fun idea for a thread. In no particular order:
1) Stetson Open Road in Silverbelly. In my mind, this hat best represents the Stetson brand post war. Iconic and endlessly copied for a reason. Looks good dressed up or down. Super versatile whether one prefers a cattlemen crease or a fedora crease.

2) Dobbs Gay Prince. A favorite vintange style for the combination of features that you don't see often anymore: felted band, suede finish, and that funky whipstiched brim.

3) a nice Milan straw. From my own collection it would have to be my Supernatural from the Ecuadorian Panamana Hat Co. I do like Panamas, but the golden hue of of a natural Milan straw is really alluring to me. Ironically my chosen hat is a blue color, but the fact that Milans are also available in colors is another selling point.

4) Homburg. I'm fortunate enough to have stumbled on a beautiful vintage Cavanagh. I actually have no compunction about dressing down this formal hat, but I'm a rebel like that ;). Of course it looks best with a suit.

5) a good rain hat. Akubras fit the bill, but I like my 100% beaver custom from Black Sheep Hat Works.

Last edited:
Felt fedora = Stetson 100
Felt western = Shorty's custom 100% natural beaver
Straw western = Atwood palm leaf
Custom felt fedora = VS Legacy silverbelly Wanderer
Beater = Akubra nullabor tan Bushman with stampede string

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Very cool! The Stetson Stratoliner and Whippet are big on my mind already. Classic is right. Jlee, really dig the Panama. Sounds like something in silverbelly is de rigueur.

Regards,
Wilkey

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For extreme winter -20 to -40 celcuis a Ushanka

For working outside in summer heat +25 to + 33 Pith helmet.

Day job will be Art Fawcett’s Grey with a 2 5/8” brim

Casual will be an Art Fawcett crossover 3” brim

General adventures/camping would be an Akubra cattleman or my Coolabah in Fawn

colour.

If I could have one more choice it would be a Tilley hat in the vehicle “just in case”.

Johnny

Last edited:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
1 akubra slouch fashionable yet practical
2 akubra cattleman indestructible
3dobbs homburg gotta style
4montanna peak hat (drill sargent hat ) adventure hat
5 stetson whippet its the coolest hat ever

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Since we are moving to Ft Worth, TX soon, to escape from permanently winter New Hampshire, here's what I'd take if I could only have 5 hats:

Western felt hat

Stetson Open Road

Penman Indy hat

Montecristi Panama

Western straw hat

That ought to do it.

You wish to limit us to only five hats? You realize (don't you?) that that's like limiting Brigham Young to a mere five brides, or Mohamed Atta to but five heavenly virgins.

g.durand

One Too Many
tony--As I was trying to narrow it down to five hats I was thinking along the same lines. But you have put it into terms that sum up far better than I could the dilemma of choosing only five hats!

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Well, consider it an exercise in contemplation. A distillation of the deepest zen essentials that define one. The hats that speak to our most essential faces or aspects. More has no end. But clarity and simplicity are beautiful.

In truth, the dilemma is not in your choosing five hats. Rather, it is which five hats best lay claim to the man or woman you are.

Regards,
Wilkey

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
1. I love my Borsalino Como.
2. I'd love to have a Stratoliner.
3. A custom 100% beaver fedora with 2 1/2" brim and nice high crown with deep center crease would be nice.
4. I'm eventually going to make myself a fedora or maybe a homburg from a fur felt blank just to do it.
5. Harris Tweed cap for those windy days.

Good thing I don't have to stop at just those.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Hehe, usually that comes with a rubdown and a glass of wine. But seriously...

Seeing as I only have 5 hats, I'm learning so much from all the wonderful responses.

Regards,
Wilkey

Landman

One Too Many
These would be my choices for vintage hats.

Stetson 100 Open Road
Stetson 7X Clear Beaver Open Road
Borsalino Alessandria
Stetson Playboy
Stetson Wanderer

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Whew. How can anyone just want five? Oh I know....pick 4 and add one....the one filled with gift cards to use at all the hatters locations....for a dozen hats!

The Stetson 100 (with case and set of keys) yes.
Stratoliner (a must have no matter what)
Custom made hat (Tonyb will sure do that)
Wide brim tall crown straw or panama (any nice make will do)
Open Road (stetson) or any of the top makers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy