Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

70s/80s does another era??

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering how many of you purchased clothes like this. I am THE clumsiets person ever and have ruined a few 50s or 40s dresses thanks to my clumsyness and therefor have started buying more 40s/50s style clothes from say the 80s. I know they are not genuine of the decade but I dont feel as bad if I ruin them. Anyone else?? If so..is it often/occasionally??

Foofoogal

Banned
They did make quite a bit of vintage looking day dresses in the 1980s/1990s and as a dealer I am actually hoarding a few for future. Does this count?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have a few items but to me the ones I keep are still special and I don't want to ruin them either. A friend has recently bought some fabulous Edwardian garb and I've just realised how much the 40's redid Edwardian. It is wonderful how things resurge.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I have a couple of 70s-does-Edwardian pieces that I really love (think Gunne Sax!). However, a vintage dress is a vintage dress, and I've actually had more mishaps with tears/split seams in my 60s and 70s pieces. It might just be psychological-- I'm definitely more cautious in my 50s and earlier garments-- but also, as 60s-80s "vintage" is currently what's trendy, I find older pieces to be cheaper anyway.

The 70s had an amazing retro trend, though, and from a purely aesthetic standpoint some pieces from that decade are just as beautiful as the pieces they were modeled after. I do have this floor length ruffled organdy gown that looks exactly like a 1930s number, but it's actually from the 70s and is in much sturdier shape than an actual sheer 30s gown would be today. But it cost me $40 at a vintage store, whereas my equally elegant pink silk actual 30s gown was $20 at an antique store... so go figure!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
One of my favorite skirts this fall was a A line 70's skirt that looked very 40's especially with a 40's style blouse. I also have a jumpsuit style lounge piece that am pretty sure is from the 30's but on first glance you might think it was 70s.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I notice them when I'm shopping and have seen a few that were cute, but just didn't fit. Overall though, I think a 70s or 80s redo of 30s, 40s or 50s still really looks like it's from the 70s or 80s.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I notice them when I'm shopping and have seen a few that were cute, but just didn't fit. Overall though, I think a 70s or 80s redo of 30s, 40s or 50s still really looks like it's from the 70s or 80s.

I agree. You can spot a 70s or 80s garment from a mile away. It's not a bad thing if that's what you want to go for, but if you want authentic you need to stick with real vintage or learn to sew from authentic vintage patterns. That's the best way -- you get the cut and style of an authentic 40s/50s dress, but the durability of a new garment.

BoPeep

Practically Family
One of my favorite skirts this fall was a A line 70's skirt ...

These are so easy to wear and looked pretty much the same from the 40s to the 70s. Another piece like this is the cardigan. They've been around forever and are virtually seamless from decade to decade. I incorporate simple pieces like this into my vintage wardrobe, but for more complicated pieces (dresses, pants), I try to stay in the right era (or sew vintage).

Drappa

One Too Many
I have some dresses, skirts and blouses from the retro phases in the 70's/80's, and got them mainly for kicking about the house or walking the dog in the country, things my actual vintage is too precious for. I think they really serve that purpose well, and I don't mind as much if I snag them or get mud on them.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I have some dresses, skirts and blouses from the retro phases in the 70's/80's, and got them mainly for kicking about the house or walking the dog in the country, things my actual vintage is too precious for. I think they really serve that purpose well, and I don't mind as much if I snag them or get mud on them.

Same here. On those days when I'm just walking my dog, going to class, or hanging around the house, I reach for my 60s/70s-do-retro pieces just to feel more put together. I rarely wear those clothes when I'm going out in public-- as KittyT and Amy Jeanne already said, you can tell they aren't the real thing-- but they're kind of like my version of sweat pants and a t-shirt.

It's all relative though; I mean, chances are your friends aren't going to know the difference between actual 40s and 70s redux, for instance (unless you have very cool vintagey friends). For me, though, the appeal of vintage clothing is equal parts styling and the fact that they are so old with a mysterious past life.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy