Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I actually think John Chapman does a great job modeling his jackets. I wish other makers such as Aero, Johnson, and Lost Worlds put up some real pics of their jackets being worn. It really makes a difference.

Me too! Back to topic then... Say, Scott does the A1 have backing buttons with contrast colour?
Yessir. Can take pics later and post 'em up. It's a very cool solution to bottoms on knits! Of course they're used on the main buttons too which are on hide, but I'd guess the buttons were a cheap and available solution to the problem. It's got tons of character, that's for sure.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
geoffjacket006.jpg

Old Fart Wearing A-1...

With Shirt Tucked In

AF

Red Baron

Banned
I was going to get an A-2 like this http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=847 but now I will have to pass on it, for the time being. Butte's A-1 from Good Wear has made a believer out of me. I must have one like it. I can always get an A-2 horsehide later from Aero, which makes fantastic jackets.

Today, I was at lunch at a Chinese restaurant and opened up my fortune cookie. This is what it said: LSGBS- Let Something Good Be Said. I swear on the Bible that is what it said.

I think anyone with a youthful outlook is certainly youthful, no matter what the age. Yes, A-1's are designed to be tucked in with military attire, but they also look good sometimes with one's shirt untucked as Butte wore his.

Atticus Finch's looks smashing tucked in, and it has an exceptional hide, which is visible to great advantage in the well lit photograph.

On your way to a gig, Atticus? Gregory Peck would have been jealous of that jacket. I assume you are probably a lawyer, or maybe you just really like To Kill A Mockingbird. It is a fantastic book, to be sure. Strange that Harper Lee won the Pulitzer in '61 and then never published again. I wonder if there's a great novel manuscript written by her in somebody's attic in Alabama?

At any rate, Good Wear makes brilliant jackets. I will get some funds together and place my order very soon for the same type of hide as Butte's in an A-1.

Stony

New in Town
For Red Baron

If chapman wore his shirt out, he would look like a dwarf with those short legs

Red Baron, John Chapman is a personal friend of mine and your comments are without tact, almost boarding on infantile. :mad: Please keep your comments to the item being discussed and you might gain a "little" more respect.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Please keep your comments to the item being discussed and you might gain a "little" more respect.

Oh, I think we're past that point with Red Bottom.

Best-
-Brando

I was never banished from anything. Nobody banished me. And if you have anything more to say, let's stay off Butte's thread, okay? That goes for anyone else here who does not like the fact that I spoke my mind about things, instead of tippy toeing around "professionally." Email me on this site, and tell me what you think in private. I certainly will return the favor, mano y mano.

Uh..nope..nada..no can do. Would never PM you since I have absolutely no interest about what else is on your mind. Your insistance to insult and disrupt threads out in public is more than enough for me.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

That's one of the best photos of a cool looking A1 being worn. I remember that shot from a few years back. You look like a young Gene Hackman.

On the subject of shirts untucked. I haven't tucked one in for 25 years - all my shirts are black, which may help somewhat. It's not just a kid's thing - it's a lifestyle choice. ;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
We are all dying to know the quality of JC's capeskins!

At this stage John is in discussion with the tannery about the key elements: cost and volume of leather that can be obtained and turnaround. I saw images of the three new cape samples that he's currently considering yesterday. If he opts for the one that he is currently favouring (he reports that it has a 'larger, more dense body, while still being butter soft...the thickness ... makes for a very solid feeling garment, while still having a capeskin slightly thinner and softer drape.'), it would be a slightly different look to the older A-1 that you see in this thread and below (bottom left), but the colour that he's currently pursuing looks great: a russet shade, but in a very dull earthy brown. It's not dissimilar in shade to my well worn ELC A-1 after heavy wear (top right).

IMG_9212.jpg

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner