Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Jacket

KAISER4040

New in Town
First posting on this site. Looking to get an A-2 jacket in size 48. Would you recommend any specific manufacturer? I have Aero, Schott, and Lost World jackets in different designs. Have never had a goatskin jacket....I see some manufacturers use this for A-2's. Wondering how goatskin will hold up, and how warm it is.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My first posting also on this new site. Be aware that labeled sizes can be all over the board. I have an Aero A-2 Bronco labeled as size 44 and a Gibson & Barnes "historic" A-2 Model 43 labeled as size 40. The G&B actually fits one size larger than the Aero. o_O Goatskin probably hold up better than horsehide, although both are very durable. I have an affinity for Aero's Vicenza horsehide and veg tanned goatskin, and also the smooth horsehide used for my G&B A-2 model 43.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Leather doesn't provide warmth so goat will not feel warmer or cooler than any other. It;s the lining or layering that makes the difference. In a warm climate however, any difference in thickness is quickly felt. I generally don't get leather heavier than 2.5oz.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Also of note, some A-2 makers use very thin, lightweight goatskin with no character or heft to it. Others use a more substantial weight of goatskin (Aero, Goodwear, Lost Worlds, etc). Vintage, vegetable tanned full grain goatskin does develop some amazing patina and is very abrasion resistant and sheds light rain quite well (qualities the Navy looked for when they sought the right hide for their leather flight jackets).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
G&B's A-2 Model 31 is veg tanned goatskin very similar to Aero's if not the same. Otherwise G&B's chrome tanned goatskin is as described by Thor.

As Fanch wisely points out, forget tags. If you currently have a jacket you love, measure it. It's critical. Then, once you have your numbers, you can look for used (which is highly recommended) and get a great deal while getting you wants and size down.
Makers that have high marks are:
Aero (See Thurston Bros thread)
Good Wear
Bill Kelso
ELC
Diamond Dave
Lost Worlds

kampkatz

Practically Family
If you don't mind an inexpensive, bur fairly accurate A-2 that is accurate on sizing, Cooper will probably do. The leather is on the thin size, so it is not a cold weather jacket. Good luck in your search.

KAISER4040

New in Town
Luckily I have ordered jackets thru Thurston Bros. so I have a good idea for measurement. Unfortunately most of the sizes I see on Ebay and TFL classifieds are in the 38-44 range, not my 48/50
Maybe I will wait because I have a Premier Half Belt, Highwayman, and J-100/Board Racer coming from Thurston in November.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I would stay away from G&B. From what I have seen, I have never seen one that fits right or looks good on a person at all.
Good goatskin is definitely tough. I know Goodwear has some great stuff, but I don't know how many other makers have great goatskin.

Pain felt, Kaiser. There's a few of us lugs here with the 48/50 thing, and now it looks like there's another one to fight over the scraps with. ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I really like the standard G&B chrome tanned goat. It's got heft and strength. The jackets themselves are cut large these days. But they are extremely well made. I sold my Aero and kept my G&B Indy jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
There are three I would recommend:-Good Wear, Diamond Clothing or Bill Kelso.

I forgot Diamond also makes a great A2 and I believe he also specifically has some great goatskin as well. I know Good Wear does, but the wait is terrifying. Does BK offer goat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany