Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A brand new design from Aero Leather

yakima

One of the Regulars
Here's a jacket just acquired by a good friend of mine, Majormajor (who no longer posts here).

Here's what he said about it on another site:

Here's a jacket that Ken Calder of Aero Leather & myself have been working on for almost a year.

Here was the premise:

Back in the 60's, Levi Strauss took their Type III jacket and made an unlined Split Hide version. They kept all the important Type III details, but just changed the buttons for snaps, and put on a contrast leather collar.

SO....we thought "What if Lee had done the same with a 101J?" - i.e all the regular 101j details, with just those two changes as above.

Here is the result. The Split Hide was a leftover from an old Levi's contract, the collar is Kudu, and the pattern was copied from 60's 101Js (one of which was taken apart in the process).

Ken had to play around with the collar construction a tad, to allow for hide construction, and Greg, Ken's "jean jacket" expert, sewed the thing together.

I am well pleased with the result

5c3y.jpg

Attachments

• j1p9.jpg
    j1p9.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 449

wild_balls

Practically Family
Here's a jacket just acquired by a good friend of mine, Majormajor (who no longer posts here).

Here's what he said about it on another site:

Here's a jacket that Ken Calder of Aero Leather & myself have been working on for almost a year.

Here was the premise:

Back in the 60's, Levi Strauss took their Type III jacket and made an unlined Split Hide version. They kept all the important Type III details, but just changed the buttons for snaps, and put on a contrast leather collar.

SO....we thought "What if Lee had done the same with a 101J?" - i.e all the regular 101j details, with just those two changes as above.

Here is the result. The Split Hide was a leftover from an old Levi's contract, the collar is Kudu, and the pattern was copied from 60's 101Js (one of which was taken apart in the process).

Ken had to play around with the collar construction a tad, to allow for hide construction, and Greg, Ken's "jean jacket" expert, sewed the thing together.

I am well pleased with the result

View attachment 11338
Finally, I was told by a bird that he worked on a leather version of a lee 101 pattern, not a secret anymore then!!!

Cheers Joakim

IXL

One Too Many
Just not a big fan of the heavy rough out suede. I think it can look rather shabby with wear.
HD

I had just such a jacket, as a teenager. I thought it was so cool! After wearing it for a few months of two-stroke motorcycle riding, it's appearance caused my mom to threaten to burn it. That never happened with the denim ones.

Edward

Bartender
It is a nice looking jacket. But still feel strange when I saw a denim jacket made in leather...don't know why.

I've long wondered who did it first. The earliest big pop culture example I can recall is Elvis at the 68 Special; his leather outfit was created by a stylist who apparently misinterpreted photos of a younger Elvis (I think in Jailhouse rock - maybe?) and thought he was wearing head to toe leather, which of course he never did. It must have been done before that, though.

Has a distinctly Mod feel to it.

Yes, I agree - I can see it beingb worn with white 501s and desert boots.

Just not a big fan of the heavy rough out suede. I think it can look rather shabby with wear.
HD

Can't see myself in it either, but I imagine there will definitely be a market for it. Aero's range seems to have practically doubled since Ken took a more active role again over the last couple of years. Innteresting seeing the company grow.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
I think it looks great. I can't speak to how it wears but I like the roughout leather for the denim style jacket. I have never liked a smooth leather jacket in that cut though. Something about it strikes me as dangerously close to a leisure suit jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I think it looks great. I can't speak to how it wears but I like the roughout leather for the denim style jacket. I have never liked a smooth leather jacket in that cut though. Something about it strikes me as dangerously close to a leisure suit jacket.

Ha! POssibly. I agree that the rough look really works for this. Looks more 'correct' to my eye than smoothe leather too. Re your avatar, BTW.... is that from an obscure old (Hammer Horror?) British film about a gang of biker kids who die and reseurrect themselves with a pagan burial ritual at a stone ring, thinknig they're immortal but actually suffering dire consequences in the end? Can't recall the name, but I think it was the name of the gang? I know I've seen that image before, somewhere...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha! POssibly. I agree that the rough look really works for this. Looks more 'correct' to my eye than smoothe leather too. Re your avatar, BTW.... is that from an obscure old (Hammer Horror?) British film about a gang of biker kids who die and reseurrect themselves with a pagan burial ritual at a stone ring, thinknig they're immortal but actually suffering dire consequences in the end? Can't recall the name, but I think it was the name of the gang? I know I've seen that image before, somewhere...

Psychomania's the one you're thinking of. Never seen it, but love the look! :D

Edward

Bartender
Ahhhh! Thanks - yes, I saw it once on tv years ago - probably a Channel 4 late night, Friday night special.... Cracking little film.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Tremendous jacket. Been planning a Type 3 in tan leather as my next big aquisition. This is a killer jacket though. I think the shabbiness of the split hide would end up looking very fine indeed after a while. You have to beat a jacket like that up for it to look good. My only issue with it is the snaps. The stem buttons are crucial IMO, which is why I would probably go for tan leather rather than golden suede.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183