Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fedora story (that will never happen again)

pwd

New in Town
Back in 1989, my wife and I were newlyweds and had the opportunity to go on the trip of a lifetime. I was going to get to do some gospel teaching/preaching in India. On the way there, we toured London, Athens, Israel, Cairo, and spent a night in Kuwait City one year before Hussein's first invasion. Leaving India, we visited Hong Kong, Singapore, Honolulu and San Francisco before making it back home to Texas, meaning we would travel all the way around the world.

Before the trip, I had a hatter near Austin custom make me a dark brown, 5X felt fedora. I was going for the "Raiders" look, but did not know nearly as much about it then as I do now (thanks to Indygear.com). I just did the best I could to try to get the right look.

So, the first leg of the journey found us in London for a few days in the summer of '89. One morning, we were standing outside the gates of Buckingham Palace. I was wearing a tan bush jacket, brown fedora and cowboy boots, not looking, I suppose, like the typical tourist. We were on the sidewalk between the road and the palace fence. Suddenly, a motorcade came out of the gate and drove past us, only a few feet away. My wife remembers distinctly what she saw. In the black official car driving past us was a woman with her face pressed against the window, eyes glued on me, and it was none other than Princess Diana! I can only assume the hat caught her eye. That is as close as I've gotten to royalty. It all happened in a matter of seconds, without warning, and no one had any time to take pictures.

Anyway, I still have that hat in the top of my closet. I never wear it because I've moved on to better hats (Optimo). Still, I'm reluctant to get rid of it because of this particular story. I thought you fellows could appreciate it...pwd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21