Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Good Summer Casual Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sorry guys, while many of you are getting into heavy leathers, it's summer over here and getting hot.

I'm not a fan of safari/bush jackets, nor do I like the oft mentioned Barracuda.

Is there another good retro polycotton (I like this more than cotton) jacket (it may not be classic, but is 1960's or 1970's) that I might find more appealing? I'm thinking of an unlined jacket that is hard wearing and good for hot conditions. As a guide, something more like the unlined Dickies Eisenhower jacket is my thing.

Any ideas, anyone? Maybe I should just get a Dickies...

Cheers

Last edited:

Jonnyboy

New in Town
I bought an M-421 reproduction jacket from What Price Glory in the summer (for $45) and I've worn it constantly since. It's lightweight, but well made. It may be a bit too 'safari' for what you have in mind though. Here's mine:

WPG-M421-small.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

Edward

Bartender
While to the best of my knowledge the Indy jacket was actually based, originally, on an A2 design less the knits in order to give it more of a civilian feel, the M-421 really is the closest I've ever seen to a fabric version thereof. I quite fancy one of those myself.

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Edward, they're not bad jackets at all, and I love the 40s look of it. I agree, it is pretty much a cloth Indy-style jacket. I know the Buzz version is more like original wartime jackets, but for the money, the WPG is great. I changed the zip slider for a repro Talon which I bought on ebay for about £6, which improves the look a bit.

Cheers,

Jon

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, it's the old story..... the Buzz is probably twice as accurate, at ten times the price. ;) Money no object, I'm sure the Buzz is lovely, but I can't see me springing for it with these available, especially as I'd be wearing it in a purely civilian context, not for re-enactment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart