Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A long time coming

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I think my very first post on TFL was a WTB classified looking for an Aero Wayfarer. None ever turned up.

Order placed direct with Aero on April 4 when the GBP fell to $1.25 USD. Completed 5/25, 2 days before my birthday. Arrived last Thursday 6/1. My wait ended, when my order from Aero was delivered. I've been wearing it since.

I don't have any pics from the unboxing, or wearing it (yet) but here's how it looks today:

7a3ad64db001b8edcc67aa5800959113.jpg

8ca2a32ecc1582a0c390a8923eafedcb.jpg

336ca83f819d3bb48478dc67d7f81425.jpg
bdcb2ff47f4228e50594f76ce2e0e6ad.jpg
92086e373dcf404e080ca60d0d370eb3.jpg

Specs:

+ Size 44", 25.5" sleeves
+ Dark brown heavy tumbled CXL FQHH
+ Two inside pockets (open)
+ I asked for them to make sure the pockets were large enough for my hands.
+Corduroy strip at bottom hem.

Everything else is stock/standard.

I have yet to measure it to see how closely the measurements agree with the order, but I find that the fit is excellent, and roomy enough to accommodate a sweater in colder weather.

I found that the leather didn't really have an appearance of being tumbled when I took it out of the box. I'm not sure why. The paper hang tag attached to it says tumbled CXL FQHH, and that's what I ordered, but it doesn't look it to me. I mentioned it to Holly, but she just said that the appearance varies. It's certainly much smoother than the example jacket that they use for the website, which has grain and texture to die for. But I don't mind. It looks great as-is, and it fits well, and all the other details are what I asked for. It just means a bit more work to break it in. It's heavy, stiff, and stands by itself right now.

8b596fa7eadafe8f7b22f4713f47ad15.jpg

I'd not seen the brand tag they used on mine before. It's of no real consequence, but I prefer the tag with the car and plane, if only because that's what I see 90% of the time.

e027b2734092a5c5e53fc40c10471aae.jpg

This one's a keeper.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Having received this jacket, I heartily believe that Aero could do an AMAZING leather M65 field jacket. I would like to implant the subliminal suggestion that they consider adding such a jacket to their line.

Very cool Guppy. Love the looks of that jacket. Look forward to seeing the fit pics. That's a really cool design. Perfect go to utility jacket that can be worn with almost anything.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Very cool Guppy. Love the looks of that jacket. Look forward to seeing the fit pics. That's a really cool design. Perfect go to utility jacket that can be worn with almost anything.

It's probably my favorite style out of all of Aero's offerings, and yeah it's versatile, and very cool.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having received this jacket, I heartily believe that Aero could do an AMAZING leather M65 field jacket. I would like to implant the subliminal suggestion that they consider adding such a jacket to their line.

Oh yeah, I could be tempted by that!

Beautiful jacket, but if I was ordering the tumbled hide, I'd be somewhat pissed. That looks nothing like the tumbled samples we've seen here. Lovely, but looks like all the FQHH Aero I've had and seen...
I'd press that point unless you don't care.

Reactions: A-1

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful jacket, but if I was ordering the tumbled hide, I'd be somewhat pissed. That looks nothing like the tumbled samples we've seen here. Lovely, but looks like all the FQHH Aero I've had and seen...
I'd press that point unless you don't care.

Yeah, I don't care. It looks great, and in time will look even better.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found that the leather didn't really have an appearance of being tumbled when I took it out of the box. I'm not sure why. I mentioned it to Holly, but she just said that the appearance varies. It's certainly much smoother than the example jacket that they use for the website, which has grain and texture to die for. But I don't mind. It just means a bit more work to break it in. It's heavy, stiff, and stands by itself right now.

Isn't the example jacket on the Aero site in Battered Seal, not Tumbled CXL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Isn't the example jacket on the Aero site in Battered Seal, not Tumbled CXL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The example on the website is Tumbled Cordovan FQHH, and it looks like this:
90655420a43f4119_WAYFARER-500.jpg

Basically, just more wrinkled and creased, and a bit more grain. I was hoping for the same, but I know mine will develop it in time, and it's otherwise completely perfect, so I'm not worried about it not looking more aged when I'm going to keep it forever and it'll get this aged in short order. I could probably stick it in the dryer on low with some softballs and get this look in an hour or two, but I'm going to do it naturally. I think the example on their website looks to be made from a bit lighter weight leather, too, so if it does look a bit different once it's aged, that could be why as well.

BobJ

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket Guppy! I've read some here saying the regular cxl ages even nicer that the tumbled, so, if you're not in a hurry, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Also, I like the label on you jacket better - because your jacket is not designed for aviation or motoring, it's a "Wayfarer", and the label shows a couple wayfarers camping out under the stars. It's the coolest label I've ever seen - it makes me wish I was there, camping and traveling with them.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Outstanding!! My preference for FQHH has always been regular brown as used on my Teamster that has aged beautifully.

A-1

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket Guppy! I've read some here saying the regular cxl ages even nicer that the tumbled, so, if you're not in a hurry, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Also, I like the label on you jacket better - because your jacket is not designed for aviation or motoring, it's a "Wayfarer", and the label shows a couple wayfarers camping out under the stars. It's the coolest label I've ever seen - it makes me wish I was there, camping and traveling with them.
I also have to say the same thing about the label! Beautiful!
Now I want a jacket with that very label...
Maybe next year.

Peacoat

Bartender
A nice classic design. I agree with you, I have never seen that Aero label before. I would like to see how it breaks in after 6 months of heavy wear. As you are in Cleveland, you will need a sweater under the jacket. That Alpaca, while relatively warm, will be no match on its own for your Cleveland winters.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
A nice classic design. I agree with you, I have never seen that Aero label before. I would like to see how it breaks in after 6 months of heavy wear. As you are in Cleveland, you will need a sweater under the jacket. That Alpaca, while relatively warm, will be no match on its own for your Cleveland winters.
We've had a lot of cool weather lately, which has been perfect for wearing the jacket. The lining is Aero's herringbone tweed, which is a £25 upgrade normally, but is standard for the Wayfarer. I really like herringbone weave. I'm not sure what animal they source the fiber from, but I suspect that it is wool rather than alpaca.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My actual measurements of the jacket, for anyone curious:

Pit-pit: 24"
Waist: 22"
Shoulders: 20"
Sleeves: 24.5"

I'm glad that I'm happy with the fit, so the measurements aren't that important, they are what they are, but it makes me wonder whether Aero measures the same way I do, or if the sleeves really are off by 1" of what I ordered. Maybe they are an inch longer than I'm measuring, completely flattened out, and I'm loosing an inch in wrinkles, I dunno.

When I provided my measurements to them, they recommended a standard fit size 44, without making any modifications, but based on pre-sales conversation they recommended 25.5" sleeves, which I agreed to.

I still don't have fit pics, but I'll post some when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner