Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A man's guide to a woman's wardrobe

Corky

Practically Family
A MAN'S GUIDE TO A WOMAN'S WARDROBE

shoe_2.jpg

For many men, fashion is a foreign country...

INTELLIGENT LIFE magazine, September/October 2011

In September 2009 I was working on the features desk of the Times in London when I was told that I was needed to cover for a member of the fashion team who had gone on maternity leave. Under-dressed and overwhelmed, I set off to report on a round of womenswear shows. From New York to Paris via London and Milan, I sat shabbily hunched among the straight-backed, soignée ranks of the world’s fashion professionals, staring dumbly at the catwalks like some novelty savage on his first day in court.

I have now spent two years embedded deep in female territory: in fashion, with a capital F. And I have started to get the hang of it. What has become clear is that fashion is to many women what sport is to many men: a pastime, a passion, a shared language, a form of self-definition, and a temporary escape from the opposite sex, all rolled into one deeply satisfying whole.

Most men regard this female passion from a default position of distrust, derision or at best patronising tolerance. Even the cleverest males are liable to take this line. Kant both derided and distrusted fashion: “[It] belongs under the heading of vanity…and also under the heading of folly.” Nietzsche preferred to patronise: “Comparing man and woman in general, one may say that woman would not have the genius for finery in general if she did not have the instinct for a secondary role.”

I very much doubt that either of these great chin-strokers spent any time contemplating the interior life of a woman via the interior of her wardrobe. Because men, when they think of women’s fashion at all, tend to see it only in terms of how it makes them feel—whether it arouses, confuses, or repels them—rather than considering what it makes a woman feel.

Let’s not overstate this: cracking the code of fashion won’t provide men with an Enigma machine with which to read every baffling unknown in a female soul. Yet a close and at least partially informed snoop through the contents of a woman’s wardrobe can at least explain why they wear the things they do. And that’s got to be better than nothing...

(CONT'D AT LINK)

http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/lifestyle/a-mans-guide-a-womans-wardrobe?page=full

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Long and interesting read, very informative. I must say, however, I more of less stay out of what my Wife would buy or wear, and really with all kindness may add, to be any other way would be like committing suicide! I learned a long time ago, when a woman is wearing what she wants to, the best thing to do is smile!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany